[1.0.2] Solar Science v1.0

Snoopy 20111

aeux79.jpg

Salutations! May the sunlight always be upon you!

This small mod adds a couple new scientific instruments (such as the one pictured here) which do science specifically around the most wondrous body in the Kerbol system. Both of these instruments are based upon instruments currently aboard the SOHO and STEREO spacecraft. It also adds a few new flags.

To install

​

Like most other mods, simply download the linked file, unzip it, and

drop the folder it gives you into Kerbal Space Program>GameData.

Notes:

• Don't expect massive things from this mod. I'm only a high school student with about a couple years of modeling experience as of this time, so I'm not exactly the most proficient. The code is simple, and the textures may leave something to be desired. That said...

• This project is up for adoption. I've spent too much time working on this and wish to do other things. If there's anybody out there who feels this project has promise, I will gladly provide all related files, including models, Unity files, Photoshop documents, etc.

• One of the flags in here may cause some players to become violently angry. They may also claim that "this mod ruined Kerbal Space Program for them." If you have your worries, go into GameData>Solar Science>Flags and delete "Celestia.png." It's merely a flag of the My Little Pony Character, Celestia, raising the sun. There is nothing inherently offensive or illicit about it, but some folks have adverse reactions to My Little Pony.

• The Source Code, models, and textures are provided. These are provided in .cs, .fbx, and .png formats, respectively. By the license, you can do anything you please with them as long as you don't profit and you give credit to me. Preferably, this would amount to mention of "Snoopy 20111."

• Remember to Praise the Sun!

​

Download it here

88x31.png

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

The source code is provided under Solar Science>Plugins as SolarExperiment.cs

The models and textures for each instrument are also provided under their appropriate folders in FBX and PNG format respectively under Solar Science>Parts>Science

Edited by Snoopy 20111

Getting 401 error when tryign to download mod.

"Unauthorized

The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required."

Getting 401 error when trying to download mod.

"Unauthorized

The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required."

I discovered I have to 'publish' the mod for it to become public. It was a rookie mistake on my part. :blush: The link should be working now. :)

Perhaps. What does it do? The Kerbal Stuff link doesn't seem to be active yet, so I can't find out for myself.

Again, sorry, it should be working now. The mod adds two instruments (lower and higher tiers of the same basic function) which only function while in orbit over the Sun and within 10,000,000 kilometers of it. The two parts are modeled after the Heliospheric Magnetic Imager and SECCHI Scientific Suite respectively. It's relatively simple stuff which could be expanded upon, but amazingly I haven't seen any mods of this kind.

hahaha, I love the picture you have there on the OP, I had to tilt my screen up a little but then I saw it XD

I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but you'll know it when you see it, hehehe

Yea I didn't notice it at first either :P

Glad it became a little unintentional easter egg. :D

Praise the sun!

\[T]/

If only I could be so grossly incandescent...

Understandable. I suppose I should clarify.

Err... Sorry, didn't get the reference. What could be wrong with that picture? Actually, I didn't even quite understand what is it...

BTW, what is the "unintentional easter egg" on the OP? I tilted my screen up, saw something, but if the easter egg is what I think, it also appears in one of the flags. Can one "spoil" it for me? PVT, maybe?

Err... Sorry, didn't get the reference. What could be wrong with that picture? Actually, I didn't even quite understand what is it...

BTW, what is the "unintentional easter egg" on the OP? I tilted my screen up, saw something, but if the easter egg is what I think, it also appears in one of the flags. Can one "spoil" it for me? PVT, maybe?

The face in the sun I believe.

The face in the sun I believe.

Mainly that, yes. There's also an image of Solaire on the spacecraft. I thought they showed up more, so they weren't meant to be hidden.

Nothing is inherently wrong with it, and that's the point. Let me explain: The involved character, Celestia, has an image of the sun on her flanks. This leads to the cross reference joke of "Praising the sun." Thus, it's implied that, since I said that some "might get angry" or say "KSP is ruined for them," that the image is offensive or p***ographic.

• 1 month later...
Nice, these instruments allow or another type of mission.
Indeed, finally we have some scientific reasons to travel near the sun
i love this simply yet awesome mod. nice one dude.

praise the sun!

Thank you guys! That was my whole intention with this mod, to fill the gap.

Protip: there is, in fact, such a thing as "low sun orbit." ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stock KSP already has a "low Solar orbit" defined to be 1000 Mm (vs. 10 Mm), which e.g. DMagic Orbital Science uses for some of its contract missions. Would you consider harmonizing your experiments' requirements to that figure?

(And crunching the numbers, that takes about 6 km/s, 10 Mm takes almost 9 km/s.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.