Comic About Us On Dorkly

Kerb Johnson

They shoulda just hired MY Kerbals. All of my flights (barring experimental test flights that I always run unmanned) are safe, comfortable, and provided with plenty of opportunities for rescue in the very rare event of something going wrong (most often something minor like running out of fuel after already achieving a close approach to a station, breaking a landing gear so it sticks open, etc.).

And kerbals treat the developers as divine gods, obviously.

http://i.imgur.com/Rag5EB6.png

Indeed! :)

I don't get why they don't appreciate the Kerbals. They actually know for a fact that it's going to eventually work. I guess they don't like the eventually​ part.

I'm sure that will eventually be comforting to their next-of-kin ;)

• 2 years later...
43 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Wasn't that only pre-1.0?

To the commentor at that time, this is the only reality they know. To us incredibly advanced, over two and a half years from then far flung future beings, we know a different reality.

(That comment and all but the one preceding yours were written about a month and a half before 1.0 was released.)

Edited by Mako

39 minutes ago, regex said:

HAHAHAHAHA YEAH BECAUSE ITS ALL ABOUT EXPLOSIONS GUYS!!!!

Get it? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Come now, the basal conceit is that of a bunch goofy-looking green aliens hiring a time wizard to design their craft from a set of off-the-shelf parts, direct their research department, and otherwise run their space program.  The resultant tomfoolery could be of any scale.

The kerbs were just following instructions -- it's clear the astronauts were in terror of not-so-competent person that was directing them.

Well, I kind of agree with Regex.... the explosions and MOAR BOOSTERS! aspect of KSP is way over sold.

I do like to make some rather extreme contraptions, but not to watch them explode, and they don't do that so much any more. My launches now are pretty safe. If they fail its because I had insufficient TWR or deltaV at some point, and the result is failure to reach orbit, not RUD right after launch.

When I look at my KSP screenshots that I've uploaded... ie some of the best examples of what KSP is to me... almost none of them contain explosions. Of the ones that do, its to show an undesirable bug most of the time. The only ones I have that I can recall that contain explosions and aren't of bugs, are from when 1.0 dropped, and I was losing parts due to overheating on ascent... and even in that its a rear-facing payload fairing on a twin boom spaceplane that overheated. The payload was thus disconnected and lost, but the rest of the craft (including the cockpot where the kerbals were) was fine.

Edited by KerikBalm

2 hours ago, Archgeek said:

Come now, the basal conceit is that of a bunch goofy-looking green aliens hiring a time wizard to design their craft from a set of off-the-shelf parts, direct their research department, and otherwise run their space program.  The resultant tomfoolery could be of any scale.

That's an amazingly intricate justification for the idiotic "MOAR EXPLUSHUNS BRUH" memes that Squad continues to push. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

4 hours ago, regex said:

That's an amazingly intricate justification for the idiotic "MOAR EXPLUSHUNS BRUH" memes that Squad continues to push. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Nah, it's more a justification for the observed phenomena underpinning the stock game.  Kerbs are goofy looking greenfolk.  Off-the shelf parts--an implied explanation for the lego-esque design and construction of things.  The player has been charged with development of facilities, directing R&D, mission planning an execution.   The rest is clearly the only logical explanation for the player's in-game powers -- I mean, you can view spacecraft from the exterior, moving your viewpoint around arbitrarilly (clearly scrying), rampage forward through time at absurd rates, and leap back in time at whim, but all with strange and specific limitations.  Such things are blatantly the work of wizardry, or at least wizard-adjacent.  

So, what else could it be but a time wizard with some divination skill and scrying tools having been hired by the aforementioned greenfolk to run their space program? :cool:

10 hours ago, Archgeek said:

So, what else could it be but a time wizard with some divination skill and scrying tools having been hired by the aforementioned greenfolk to run their space program? :cool:

...and the vast majority of them completely inexperienced in directing a space programme or designing spacecraft, meaning that most (I hesitate to say all, but I expect that is the case) of us have made stupid miskates, reverted, tweaked and tried again, reverted, try again in an attempt to see what exactly happened... OK now for some reason it works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I once had a pilot wrenched back to life from a horrifying explosion several times whilst I was troubleshooting a certain craft and each time he was screaming at the moment he spawned...

So, whilst I respect your opinion, @regex, and somewhat agree with it, I do think the joke is more than just making fun of explosions, and I found the comic amusing.

13 hours ago, Archgeek said:

Nah, it's more a justification for the observed phenomena underpinning the stock game.  Kerbs are goofy looking greenfolk.  Off-the shelf parts--an implied explanation for the lego-esque design and construction of things.  The player has been charged with development of facilities, directing R&D, mission planning an execution.   The rest is clearly the only logical explanation for the player's in-game powers -- I mean, you can view spacecraft from the exterior, moving your viewpoint around arbitrarilly (clearly scrying), rampage forward through time at absurd rates, and leap back in time at whim, but all with strange and specific limitations.  Such things are blatantly the work of wizardry, or at least wizard-adjacent.  

I think you're over-thinking video games.

4 hours ago, Deddly said:

amusing.

I felt it was an obvious, low-effort joke playing on terrible marketing (that takes advantage of actual launch disasters), but I suppose that comes with the territory when writing a serial webcomic.

55 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Well, I mean, they can hardly write a joke  regarding "better than Orbiter 2010," but explosion jokes in KSP just write themselves.

Because it's all about explosions, amirite? Let's all blow up the VAB again for grins, that's what makes this game great! :rolleyes:

Well.....   I don't see any humans sent to Mars (let alone anywhere else) coming home in any condition fit to live a normal, healthy life, if they come back at all.  So given that they're already on a suicide mission, what difference does it make to the astronauts whether they die on launch or at some random point thereafter?  Might as well be Kerbals designing their ships as anybody else.

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Well.....   I don't see any humans sent to Mars (let alone anywhere else) coming home in any condition fit to live a normal, healthy life, if they come back at all.  So given that they're already on a suicide mission, what difference does it make to the astronauts whether they die on launch or at some random point thereafter?  Might as well be Kerbals designing their ships as anybody else.

Who says we all want to come back? It's true that the life of a pioneer has been highly romanticised; it is far from a glamorous affair and has a significantly elevated mortality rate, but it also has a certain inherent excitement to it.

All I know for sure is that if you put me on a one-way ship to Mars with some training, a plan, and equipment for building a new life out there I'm going to make the best of it that I can for as long as I can for myself and anyone else who is crazy enough to head out there. And I'm okay not coming back. I'm even okay with the fact that I'd be impossible to guarantee a safe departure, not to mention no guarantees of a safe transit and landing.

The thing is, if I was going to Mars, and regardless of whether or not I was coming back, I'd want the best chance possible to at least make it there. One person's "suicide mission" can be another's "greatest adventure."

Edited by Mako

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.