[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Make Kerbin A Planet Please!
Kerbin is a planet

56464, if you had read the OP carefully, you should have noted that Kerbin is in fact not only a planet, but also included in the plugin. Could you please more clearly explain your actual request?

I'm pretty sure what he's asking is to have Kerbin as it's own parent, rather than being in orbit around Sonnah.

TBH this has been asked before and i do have a config that moves Sonnah & it's moons to Laythe (I made it way back in v1.2 or something), leaving Kerbin with Mun & Aptur...however i haven't and probably won't release it. Having Kerbin as a satellite around Sonnah is a pretty big part of the experience of this pack, and changing it back would ruin the whole challenge & aesthetic that i have worked hard to deliver to the system. If you really want Kerbin back as a standalone planet, then might i suggest going with other planet packs such as OPM and/or Trans-Keptunian. They are both beautifully made packs and might be what you're after. (oh and BTW, nothing is stopping you from editing the configs yourself if you really want it).

Having Kerbin as a satellite around Sonnah is a pretty big part of the experience of this pack, and changing it back would ruin the whole challenge & aesthetic that i have worked hard to deliver to the system. If you really want Kerbin back as a standalone planet, then might i suggest going with other planet packs such as OPM and/or Trans-Keptunian.

I agree with this, so much! Without Kerbin being a moon, this pack is just lots of very pretty and interesting planets, but with Kerbin as a moon it takes on a feeling like no other planet pack, as well as giving experienced players a nice challenge!

Having Kerbin as a satellite around Sonnah is a pretty big part of the experience of this pack, and changing it back would ruin the whole challenge & aesthetic that i have worked hard to deliver to the system.

Very true :) We do however appreciate the work you put into balancing Sonnah's atmosphere to help interplanetary transfers home aerocapture without death and fire ^^ (Although I have yet to do one properly :P)

By all accounts, none of the stock atmospheric planets except Kerbin are very useful for braking anymore. Something to do with the atmosphere's not being high enough to let the pressure curves tail off gently (except Kerbin...), thus creating a 'wall' when attempting atmo entry. Which reminds me, I need to go back to Serran with a different lander... I feel sure now that the error was in sandwiching those small SAS modules between two fuel tanks.

Very true :) We do however appreciate the work you put into balancing Sonnah's atmosphere to help interplanetary transfers home aerocapture without death and fire ^^ (Although I have yet to do one properly :P)

By all accounts, none of the stock atmospheric planets except Kerbin are very useful for braking anymore. Something to do with the atmosphere's not being high enough to let the pressure curves tail off gently (except Kerbin...), thus creating a 'wall' when attempting atmo entry. Which reminds me, I need to go back to Serran with a different lander... I feel sure now that the error was in sandwiching those small SAS modules between two fuel tanks.

I'll get testing when I can just to make sure the rest of the atmospheres are decent enough for entry to not instantly disintegrate people. How I usually test is by flinging stock planes through the atmospheres at high speeds and see whether I think the heating is too much. If a plane can take the might of aerobraking, then the sturdier rocket parts should be able to:wink:

Actually I'm not sure the rocket parts are sturdier... one of the recent patches specifically increased the heat tolerance of plane parts.

The MK2 + MK3 parts for example are rated for 2500 degrees, while wings are at 2400. Meanwhile a MK1 fuel/oxidiser tank is only 2000, as are reaction wheels. Basic solar panels are only 1200, which explains why they were so determined to detonate... alas I don't have the tech to get the shielded ones :<

Which reminds me, I need to go back to Serran with a different lander... I feel sure now that the error was in sandwiching those small SAS modules between two fuel tanks.

Earlier you had wondered if there may be a problem with heating, this is definitely the case on 1.0.4 and small mass parts. If you experiment with the placement of small things like SAS/batteries/probe cores etc... you will find that the placement and even overuse of radiators will have no effect. At certain times these parts can seemingly out of nowhere explode, if you use the debug options and have a lucky quick-save you can see that they instantly jump to temperatures 4-5x greater than the hottest part on the craft and explode. Some people in the forums suggest lowering the conductivity factor for the heating until this is fixed. I have had this problem a few times but it is inconsistent, a save for a craft it happens on will have it always happen- but if I do a new launch that version may not experience the issue.

...a save for a craft it happens on will have it always happen- but if I do a new launch that version may not experience the issue.

I've found that by altering the pitch of atmo entry, and sometimes rolling continuously, you can persuade different behaviours out of the same craft - but this may just be because it alters the trajectory slightly. It was always the same two kinds of components that blew up though, and indeed they would do so instantly without any sort of heat bar. F3 always said "overheated" anyway though :/

A plane entering the atmosphere at a high angle-of-attack will often have quite a lot of drag for its mass, plus some lift, so it's not necessarily the harshest test. They can shed speed well in the upper atmosphere thus reducing heating.

Wow, this mod has made it far, I remember playing it only a week or so after release. I also remember wondering if this mod would be a dud or not. But compared to my horrid bug filled experience in the beginning, (Wich was still fun to) This mod has blown away my expectations! its my premier mod pack, over OPM, Kerbal galaxy, and Kerbol plus. Still a few bugs, but well polished. Ive already said this before, but every time I come back to check on this pack, it gets even better.

Keep up the good work killashley, This mod is awesome, if you need me ill be on duna admiring jool hanging in the night sky.

"Oh, Tynrael has got to Derso, I'll finally get to see my SciDefs! He's activating the magnetometer and..... NOOOOO, TIMELAPSE!"

Adobe Premiere offers a lossy type of compression, but 100minutes to 25 is pretty good! Now I have to go back and see what that reading said :cool:

I am looking forward to touching down on Derso and scoping out Lave. Has anybody made it home from Titanus by the way, that is also on my radar. I tried a few test runs and it makes Eve look repellent in contrast.

Does anyone know mods with engines appropriate to ascend from Titanus or Leoch?

Near Future probably does just because it has most of the types of engines.

Also, one of the MKS/OKS packs has ducted fan engines that are great for VTOL in atmosphere. Powered by electricity, but, fuel cells.

Wow, this mod has made it far, I remember playing it only a week or so after release. I also remember wondering if this mod would be a dud or not. But compared to my horrid bug filled experience in the beginning, (Wich was still fun to) This mod has blown away my expectations! its my premier mod pack, over OPM, Kerbal galaxy, and Kerbol plus. Still a few bugs, but well polished. Ive already said this before, but every time I come back to check on this pack, it gets even better.

Keep up the good work killashley, This mod is awesome, if you need me ill be on duna admiring jool hanging in the night sky.

well now you're making me blush! haha thanks dude! It wouldn't be where it is today without everyone's feedback and suggestions, the players here have kept me wanting to better the mod and polish it to the point you see today. It wasn't the easiest task around, but has definitely been fun!

Has anybody made it home from Titanus by the way, that is also on my radar. I tried a few test runs and it makes Eve look repellent in contrast.

haha not that I've heard about :sticktongue:

just remember Titanus has an oxygenated atmosphere, so you can us those beautifully high ISP plane engines if you need to. As for Leouch...well the canyon edge has a LOT less atmospheric pressure seeing how high the terrain is, I recommend landing there if you are going to it, and dumping probes into the canyon and other areas :wink:

The Aerospike should work well, it isn't effected much by atmospheric pressure, and Karbonite has engines that will work as high Isp engines in non oxygen atmospheres. Near Future doesn't have any engines that work in atmospheres well, as they are all varieties of ion thrusters

The Aerospike should work well, it isn't effected much by atmospheric pressure, and Karbonite has engines that will work as high Isp engines in non oxygen atmospheres. Near Future doesn't have any engines that work in atmospheres well, as they are all varieties of ion thrusters

Ah, yeah, I was thinking of KSP Interstellar Extended which has some fancy atmosphere-suitable engines.

Alex, ive landed a probe in leouch, and by my experience, unless it has been tweaked do not use parachutes. The atmo thickness is rediculas, you can get away with droug chutes, if its a small probe.