[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Eddiew, I was just going to ask exactly the same question!

I intend to play 1.1 with 6.4x NH, but I was wondering if it is even the current version of NH (as in, with fixed atmospheres :P)

(On difficulty: I am going to change the empty weight of all the fuel tanks and engines, in order to have a chance in career.)

Well, actually I was hoping for this. I do not want 12km high mountains next to the KSC :P

Just noticed that it is "just" a Kopernicus config, making my question obsolete

Edited by dom700

Yo guys, anyone been playing NH with any of the rescale mods (2, 3.7, 6.4)?

I'm debating my setup for 1.1 and 64-bit, but not sure if it'll be just plain too hard if the system is any bigger...

Eddiew, I was just going to ask exactly the same question!

I play with Kscale2 and NH (and FAR), and I'm finding it quite fun. I haven't changed any parts, but I do use procedural parts and modular fuel tanks to make design a bit easier, and Stage Recovery for funds. I eventually settled on a career funds multiplier of 0.7 and science multiplier of 0.8 (with DMagic science), and I'm finding it challenging to make money and get new parts, but not impossible. As far as progression, I am about to land on the Mun, and I've already made an Aptur landing, but that's as far as I've gotten so take it how you will.

(Also, I wrote an MM patch to increase the terrain deformity of the planets to keep everything from getting flattened. It only affects the Kopernicus planets though, not the stock ones. You do end up with some monstrously high peaks on some of the planets, so watch your orbit altitude. ;)

The second half of the patch removes the SpaceCenter section from the Kerbin config, which fixes the issue that Kopernicus has with rescaled Kerbin and incorrrect recovery distances. It does mean the runway hangs out into the ocean a tad, though.)

{
@Body[*],*
{
@PQS
{
@Mods
{
@VertexHeightMap,*
{
@deformity *= 2
}
@VertexSimplexHeight,*
{
@deformity *= 2
}
@VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute,*
{
@deformity *= 2
}
@VertexHeightNoise,*
{
@deformity *= 2
}
@VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2,* //3
{
@deformity *= 2
}
@VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight,*
{
@deformity *= 2
}
@VertexVoronoi,*
{
@deformity *= 2
}
}
}
}
}

//Remove Spacecenter so recovery distance is right
@Kopernicus:AFTER[Wercho]
{
@Body[Kerbin]
{
!SpaceCenter{}
}
}
@Kopernicus:AFTER[Wercho] //double the deformity 

Contracts will generate for the custom bodies - explore, survey, part tests, science, etc - but there's no explicit contracts that I've noticed.

I came here about this. But sorry couldn't read the whole thread.. I am not getting any new contracts to go interplanetary. It went well for the Mun, Sonnah, Aptur, Serran and then went all the way to Minmus. I ve been to Minmus and Eeloo but now it isn t unlocking new bodies and their contracts. Is that a common problem with default unlocking progression and New Horizons? Or some people get it right and are offered contracts for Laythe or Lave after Sonnah SOI? Is there any way to force the game to give me those contracts?

Anyway congratz and thank you for this great planet pack :)

I came here about this. But sorry couldn't read the whole thread.. I am not getting any new contracts to go interplanetary. It went well for the Mun, Sonnah, Aptur, Serran and then went all the way to Minmus. I ve been to Minmus and Eeloo but now it isn t unlocking new bodies and their contracts. Is that a common problem with default unlocking progression and New Horizons? Or some people get it right and are offered contracts for Laythe or Lave after Sonnah SOI? Is there any way to force the game to give me those contracts?

Anyway congratz and thank you for this great planet pack :)

I've heard reports that pretty high reputation levels are required to get the other contracts to appears, although this is something I've never really tested/looked into. The pack uses the stock generation of contracts, so problems with them are coming from KSP and not me, unfortunately :(

Hi, I recently found a bug where most of the rings are out way too far

http://imgur.com/a/Mwvyl

you simply need to update Kopernicus. Ring scaling was changed recently so they sue different measurements now, simply update and it'll go back to normal. REMEMBER TO BACKUP YOUR SAVE THOUGH!

I came here about this. But sorry couldn't read the whole thread.. I am not getting any new contracts to go interplanetary. It went well for the Mun, Sonnah, Aptur, Serran and then went all the way to Minmus. I ve been to Minmus and Eeloo but now it isn t unlocking new bodies and their contracts.

Most likely reputation. I gave up waiting for 'explore' contracts, but once I'd started going places on my own, the game followed up by giving me contracts to do science, landings and surveys. I have a feeling that 74% reputation was mentioned somewhere in this thread... but I can't find where or exactly how you'd know anyway xD

I've heard reports that pretty high reputation levels are required to get the other contracts to appears, although this is something I've never really tested/looked into. The pack uses the stock generation of contracts, so problems with them are coming from KSP and not me, unfortunately :(

Most likely reputation. I gave up waiting for 'explore' contracts, but once I'd started going places on my own, the game followed up by giving me contracts to do science, landings and surveys. I have a feeling that 74% reputation was mentioned somewhere in this thread... but I can't find where or exactly how you'd know anyway xD

Thanks for the replies. I have a reputation of 88% right now. So 74% might not be a milestone to unlock contracts or my save is bugged. I did some more reading on the subject and it seems that even with stock game the unlocking is buggy, some people never get the interplanetary contracts. I might start a new save or switch to sandbox. Actually I might try contract filter first.. might be able to force it this way. Again thanks for the great planet pack and WA is awesome :cool: lucky you.

Edit: oh and regarding going places on my own. I tried that too like you eddiew but for some reason it only unlocks the tourist contracts and the mining contracts. I m not getting anything about base, space station, rescues and science which are the ways I usually make my money by combining all that in huge expeditions.

Edited by Nookos

I play with Kscale2 and NH (and FAR), and I'm finding it quite fun...

Since you mentioned FAR, how are you finding spaceplanes in the larger world? I guess my biggest concern is that they'll stop being of any use, since the higher orbital velocity could require too much LFO for the jet engines to shunt around...

Thanks for the replies. I have a reputation of 88% right now. So 74% might not be a milestone to unlock contracts or my save is bugged.

I used to believe reputation mattered for contracts because I had read it somewhere, I no longer believe that is the case. If I create 2 new saved games and give one 0 reputation and one 100 reputation the only thing that matters is the FlightGlobals that tracks what they have done and where they have been. I have not been able to get the contract system to work as I would expect, I have never had station building/rescue/mining/tourist/asteroid contracts outside of the Sonnah system and it seems most of the exploration or science contracts will not appear for a body until I have been in its SOI.

Every so often (if I have visited more locations) I purge the contracts from my persistent file and that appears to make it more likely to get science contracts to new bodies I would previously not get contracts for. As you mentioned, people feel even in stock it does not work like they want because it is possible to NOT get contracts to go visit milestones like Minmus or Duna- simply because of how the contract system works. From my experience in New Horizons it seems like the contract system does not advance well, combined with the randomness that is simply part of the system and what appears to be no reduction or limitation on contracts that are no longer relevant (IE I've orbited every body around Laythe/Sonnah/Lave/Titanus and I still get contracts to rescue a Kerbal from orbit around Kerbin or do a temperature scan on the Mun), leads me to believe the system becomes incapable of generating contracts that make sense for the progression that has happened.

If you consider the problematic chances to get advancing contracts like you want as part of the stock game with only 17 bodies... you have experience what happens when you add 19 more :D

I used to believe reputation mattered for contracts because I had read it somewhere, I no longer believe that is the case...

I thought so too.. But indeed it seems like it only affects the amount of prestige for the available contracts. I just cheated my way to 98% and it didn't unlock anything regarding progression. I tried to fiddle about with contracts settings and didn't do anything good. As you mentionned purging contracts from persistent file I tried that too. It did unlock 3 new contracts for bodies I already visited but it was progression contracts ( gather scientific data from.. and land on...) And then back to normal = stuck. I give up. I guess the way to fix it would be to create a contract pack for New Horizon. I'll look into that if 1.0.5 doesn't fix it. But for now I ll explore in sandbox mode I guess.

Hi, just two things I happened to notice about the mod:

a) the game crashes after sometimes clicking launch in the VAB/SPH - I don't think this is an issue with NH though

B) Kerbin and I think the Mun have zero eccentricity for their orbits. Is it possible to change them to a slight eccentricity? (you know, Sonnah sprung up overnight so Kerbin and the Mun should have some sort of eccentricity; actually better high eccentricity for one or the other to make it harder since there is an asteroid in a somewhat eccentric copy orbit of Kerbin that you can land on:wink:)

Other than that, this mod is awesome! Any ideas for support for Sigma Binary?

Hi, just two things I happened to notice about the mod:

a) the game crashes after sometimes clicking launch in the VAB/SPH - I don't think this is an issue with NH though

B) Kerbin and I think the Mun have zero eccentricity for their orbits. Is it possible to change them to a slight eccentricity? (you know, Sonnah sprung up overnight so Kerbin and the Mun should have some sort of eccentricity; actually better high eccentricity for one or the other to make it harder since there is an asteroid in a somewhat eccentric copy orbit of Kerbin that you can land on:wink:)

Other than that, this mod is awesome! Any ideas for support for Sigma Binary?

a> probably a memory issue dude, try and keep an eye on your usage and make sure

b> fairly easy to do really. I gave them 0 eccentricity basically because they were they starting planets, I didn't want to overburden players too much. You can easily toggle this as much as you want in their cfg's. Simply go to GameData/New_Horizons/KopernicusFiles/VanillaPlanets/ and open their cfg files. Their orbit are pretty easy to spot in there so feel free to tweak them to how you see fit! Just keep in mind Aptur's orbit is pretty finely tuned for Kerbin's current orbit so make sure there's no issues when changing things :wink:

I had ideas for Sigma Binary, however they are on the backburner for now. With my work on my new pack and also the kopernicus examples overhaul I'm in the middle of creating, my time for NH updates ha disappeared. I know Laythe & Derso form a natural barycenter, but other than that I haven't had much thought to the rest.

Thanks for letting me know dude.

Waaaay too much crashing. Tried launching KSP 3 times with this mod and it only launched without crashing once, where it soon crashed while trying to make a new save.

0/10 would not download again

Not enough RAM, try downloading more. 0/10 please don't troll.

Waaaay too much crashing. Tried launching KSP 3 times with this mod and it only launched without crashing once, where it soon crashed while trying to make a new save.

0/10 would not download again

Did you consider perhaps politely requesting for support right here in the thread with an added output log rather than that little temper tantrum? The output log can be easily added by getting a free dropbox account and providing a link here and a detailed description of the problem. There's also probably crash log that you'll see in the root folder of KSP that you could add as well to help with the analysis.

Hey,

Did anyone work out a fix to get rid of the minmus missions and to get new contracts to spawn? I have been out of Sonnah's SOI, but have not orbited any other planets. Reputation is around 90%, have done manned landings and successful returns on Mun, Serran & Aptur.

Thanks,

Kit

Dres isn't a lonely space potato any more :D

22067783222_a2ab02eb91_h.jpg

I made two Duna assists, the first for an initial capture and the second to more or less match planes with Dres, before spending about 800 m/s total to raise my Jool periapsis and then capture into Dres orbit. Plenty left in the tanks and with DMagic and SCANSat parts I'm already raking in the science even on 60% gains. Next task is to get one of the little probe landers on the surface and zap this space spud with a laser!

Has anyone else had issues with Mun orbiters mysteriously disappearing? So far the Mun has eaten both Jeb and Bill, in two separate instances. Both were in safe, stable orbits well above any dangers, fairly close to equatorial. Pe was about 15km for both, though Jeb was elliptical out to 400km to pick up high science. Both disappeared while I was timewarping while focused on a different craft, so I think the game may have killed them thinking that they collided with the ground. All I know for sure is that I'm steering well clear of the Mun until I can figure out what's happening.

Landers on the surface are OK, and as long as the craft remains the active vessel, there will be no problems (making flybys generally OK).

Also, if anyone's interested, I'm working on a dV table; I've calculated out estimates for most planets (with a very rough estimate for atmospheric losses) and I'm working on plotting interplanetary transfers. If anyone wants to help, or wants to see what I've worked out so far, just let me know. Though, a lot of the fun of this mod is exploring the new system for yourself, so I totally understand if you want to avoid "spoilers" :D

Edited by Goomblah

I haven't had problems with Mun orbiters disappearing, but I have had problems with them getting flung out into solar orbits from Munar orbit. I find that if I go to the tracking station upon loading a save, things seem to work out right but if I do other stuff first, my Munar stuff can end up doing weird stuff. I haven't really tried to figure out the problem though, so that might just be confirmation bias. (This is with Kscale2).

EDIT: Okay, I've now seen this twice. The first time I thought I must have imagined it, but this time I paid attention and I'm sure it happened:

When I loaded up my game, I immediately went to the tracking station. As soon as it showed up, I looked at the list of ships, and my Mun stuff was listed as "Orbiting the Sun" for about a half second, then they changed to "Orbiting the Mun". I am mystified, as this seems like a really bizzare bug if it isn't happening with other bodies.

Edited by Wercho

Does Tidus have an oxygen atmosphere?

Nope, notice that orange haze around the planet? not much oxygen in that one....

Any chance of a compatibility patch for the Sido-Urania System as well? I'd love to have ALL of the planets in one lovely Kerbal System ... and yes, it's all about having cake and eating it too. :D

I'll add it to my to-do list :wink:

Has anyone else had issues with Mun orbiters mysteriously disappearing?
Okay, I've now seen this twice. The first time I thought I must have imagined it, but this time I paid attention and I'm sure it happened

Unfortunately yes I know all about this. This is a bug that has avoided all explanation and has been around since like v1.2 or something....There's no reliable way to replicate the issue as it appears to be completely random, so I can't reliably figure out whats happening.

Also, if anyone's interested, I'm working on a dV table

Very cool :D