[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Ah, I wasn't entirely clear.

As far as I know they've always had the same SMA; I do, however, seem to remember Aptur being something like 1/6 of an orbit ahead of Kerbin a little while back. I'm not sure if Kerbin and Aptur being in roughly the same spot in their orbits is due to something funky going on because Module Manager picked up a weird thing that I installed and which interfered with other things or if that's intentional.

Or if I'm just misremembering.

Edited by Whovian

Both Aptur & Kerbin have always been in perfect sync since i originally added Aptur to the system. When Aptur is at it's per/apo you'll be able to draw a perfect line through the centers of Kerbin, Aptur and Sonnah as they align every half revolution. The orbits for them have been this way since Aptur was introduced way back in v1.35 so anyone seeing them in different positions is either having some sort of conflict or bug occur in their game :wink:

Hello all,

Sorry for not digging trough 130 pages of forum (actually I tried but found no matches) but I have a problem upgrading my NH install.

Tried 4 times now, deleted the old folders associated with NH, installed the new ones but when i start the game I just get the vanilla Kerbol system. I do see modulemanager loading NH stuff during startup tough, but none of it is showing in my old save or any new game I start.

Any tips,help, suggestions???

Hello all,

Sorry for not digging trough 130 pages of forum (actually I tried but found no matches) but I have a problem upgrading my NH install.

Tried 4 times now, deleted the old folders associated with NH, installed the new ones but when i start the game I just get the vanilla Kerbol system. I do see modulemanager loading NH stuff during startup tough, but none of it is showing in my old save or any new game I start.

Any tips,help, suggestions???

Can you send a screenshot of your GameData folder? Also send me the /logs/ folder in a .zip so I can check it out

I believe I have figured out the issue of Transfer Window Planner. The final clue came from the fact that my Kerbin -> Serran calculation of today also showed NaN and stupid values. Apparantly this happens when the necessary escape velocity is more than you need to reach the target

I believe I have figured out the issue of Transfer Window Planner. The final clue came from the fact that my Kerbin -> Serran calculation of today also showed NaN and stupid values. Apparantly this happens when the necessary escape velocity is more than you need to reach the target

Which pretty much happens for everything in the Sonnah system :) I've found that from a 100km circular orbit around Kerbin, it takes 760m/s to escape. 759, you don't escape. 760, you escape and can easily get outside Serran's orbit. I didn't try, but suspect you may even be able to get down to Mun's orbit from there as well. Of course, leaving Kerbin's SOI at 760 means buggy patched conics and you're going to get recaptured as soon as you leave. So I suggest 765, which is easily enough to reach both Serran and Mun.

I've found it's easier to just eject at Serran (or Mun) An/Dn put your eject velocity at around 5m/s over minimum (765 for a 100km orbit), and then just adjust the time you burn so your Ap is at Serran (or your Pe is at Mun) and then go. It takes a very short time to orbit Sonnah.Transfer windows are for wussies :D

Well, I uninstalled this mod. (No, this isn't a rage comment saying the mod is bad.)

Kindof a ragequit after about an hour of fiddling with manouvre nodes in LKO trying to get an aptur encounter, no matter what I did, I couldn't get an Aptur encounter, I tried normal and antinormal, prograde and retrograde but no cigar, although the nodes did say I'd get a serran encounter a few times, but I wanted to go to Aptur.

Well, I uninstalled this mod. (No, this isn't a rage comment saying the mod is bad.)

Kindof a ragequit after about an hour of fiddling with manouvre nodes in LKO trying to get an aptur encounter, no matter what I did, I couldn't get an Aptur encounter, I tried normal and antinormal, prograde and retrograde but no cigar, although the nodes did say I'd get a serran encounter a few times, but I wanted to go to Aptur.

There's a pretty good explanation in a video here if you want a watch;

[https://youtu.be/OOS0BsP3Lg8

Can't embed on my phone :(

I've found it's easier to just eject at Serran (or Mun) An/Dn put your eject velocity at around 5m/s over minimum (765 for a 100km orbit), and then just adjust the time you burn so your Ap is at Serran (or your Pe is at Mun) and then go. It takes a very short time to orbit Sonnah.Transfer windows are for wussies :D

I'm inclined to agree with this approach - as long as you don't use life support mods :) I've got a list of intra-Sonnah transfers written down with the difference in angle required between the bodies and approx delta-v to transfer and circularize. Bit of patience and this will happen at the AN/DN. Mostly just eyeball it for an early manoeuvre to get a glancing encounter, then perform a midway correction to get down to a tight polar orbit. Aside from those early missions where efficiency is life and equatorial orbits matter, it tends to work out quite well. Coming back is always easier, what with Kerbin being the big boy amongst Sonnah's moons.

The real magic... is how you go interplanetary in New Horizons given that TWP and MechJeb won't calculate exits from a moon. I won't spoil it because I suspect you'd rather work it out (it's discussed further back in this thread anyway) but I'll say that you can get to Laythe for under 1km/s; but that my personal first attempts based on the obvious approach were more like 2.5-3. Because it took my feeble old brain a while to spot the trick :)

does this mod have new contracts/missions for career mode to go along with it?

Contracts will generate for the custom bodies - explore, survey, part tests, science, etc - but there's no explicit contracts that I've noticed.

I'm inclined to agree with this approach - as long as you don't use life support mods :)

With RemoteTech, DeepFreeze and USI-LS, Transfer Window Planner is a godsend. One mistimed launch and you can say bye to those Kerbals, especially if (like I was) you're relying on a probe core to kick them out of hibernation.

Contracts will generate for the custom bodies - explore, survey, part tests, science, etc - but there's no explicit contracts that I've noticed.

I've seen some with names like "Complete the Ultimate Sonnah 4 Rally" (fly by multiple Sonnah moons)... not sure if that's something custom in the mod, or generated automatically by the stock contract system.

In any case, I've seen pretty much the same mix of body-specific contracts in New Horizons as in stock, so I'd say that the answer to the original poster's question is yes, it has contracts.

So long as I know when the transfer window is, courtesy of Transfer Window Planner, I've been able to set up my interplanetary transfers fairly easily by fiddling with the manoeuvre node. The one aspect I still don't have quite down is the inclination, my Jool transfer orbit was rather inclined compared to Sonnah and Jool's orbits, but I did better for Titanus and Asclepius transfers.

Is it possible to fly at Titanus? I tried common craft, but looks like it's wings didn't work. and rapier gives only 30 kN...

I can't remember the atmospheric density at Titanus, but checking it in-game will probably answer the question :)

The pressure shouldn't be a problem, thicker air is generally held to make flight easier. Or at least the same plane will fly more slowly.

The gravity is what will get you on Titanus I expect. With 2.2 times Kerbin gravity the same plane would need 2.2 times the lift to stay up. So you'll either need big wings on a light airframe or you'll need to fly fast. But flying fast requires more power to overcome the drag, and big wings will themselves add drag. Nonetheless I reckon if you build a plane that's got a low stall speed and plenty of power on Kerbin it will have a decent chance on Titanus.

Well, I speed up to 130 m/s at Titanus without any problem, but there is no lift force, my aircraft just crashed into terrain...

gr0WLNI.png

as you can see I get quite a lot of lift on the craft. Are you running the latest version? As before that I had the atmosphericMolarMass far too low, making the atmosphere pretty weak. Perhaps try re-downloading the latest version and trying again.