[1.3] [Kopernicus] New Horizons v2.0.1 [2JUN17] - It's Back!

KillAshley

Just a report. Sometimes when I'm driving downhill or uphill I encounter effect that resembles driving ''on the stairs'. This effect is minimal and doesn't spoil the gameplay. On a plus side I haven't encounter any 'black holes' in the terrain that cause your vehicle to disappear underground (as experienced sometimes with stock planets) so that's awesome :)

bonus pic:D

P2PTQqv.jpg

Edited by riocrokite

Did the planet IDs change? I left some debris and a flag on Aptur and now it's on Eli.

This?

Ok, pushed through the update

v1.6.6 is now live!

-Fixed all normal maps to proper .dds conversion

-Added Arkas support

-Added Urania System support (first draft based off feedback about positioning)

-Removed flightGlobalsIndex numbers

-Added missing Aptur SciDefs

Followed all the instructions for merging files in.. Including EVE stuff. ...All the classic planets and such (Tylo, Bop, Mun, etc) are purple in my Tracking Station view, for some odd reason?

e: fixed it!

Edited by Kershu5

Bug with the latest NH and the latest Kerbol Plus, Eeloo and Minmus end up orbiting inside the Sun. Kerbol Plus is trying to make Eeloo orbit Sarvin now (like OPM does with Sarnus), that's probably behind the muckup somehow, I've yet to poke into the configs.

Forgive me if this has been asked- I've only skimmed the pages, busy day and all- are the easter eggs on the various planets all still there? Barring that, are there any new things for us to discover beyond the fancy new planets and moons and such? If not maybe you'd be up for some ideas.

Did the planet IDs change? I left some debris and a flag on Aptur and now it's on Eli.

I got bitten by this, too. I'm sure KillAshley removed the flightGlobalsIndex for a good reason :) ... but I've got a save game from v1.6.5 that I've been playing for weeks, I've got lots of ships flying everywhere, and many named saves, and I really don't want to risk messing them up by manually editing the save games to try to fix them.

So I cobbled together the following ModuleManager patch that you can use for backwards compatibility to 1.6.5. It just adds the old 1.6.5 flightGlobalsIndex values back to all the NH planets, so that if you have a v1.6.5 save that you want to continue using under 1.6.6, just copy this to a .cfg file in your GameData folder and you're all set.

I did this for my own sake, so I can continue having lots of fun with this mod on my existing save. I'm posting it here in case others may find it useful, but use at your own risk. No warranties, express or implied; if it causes you problems, don't come to me for answers, 'coz I'm a ModuleManager noob myself and just now figured out how to make this work, and I'm making this change in utter ignorance of any dire consequences since I don't know KillAshley's reasons for the change. :)

// New Horizons v1.6.6 removed flightGlobalsIndex from all its planets.
// This breaks any games that were saved with v1.6.5 (causes ships to end
// up at the wrong planet). If you have a save game from 1.6.5 and want to
// continue playing it under 1.6.6, save this to your GameData folder as a .cfg file.
// Delete it when you no longer need it (e.g. when you move on to a new
// game that was started under 1.6.6), since New Horizon's author removed
// the flightGlobalsIndex for a reason.
@Kopernicus:AFTER[New_Horizons]
{
@Body[Aptur]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 108
}
@Body[Arin]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 103
}
@Body[Astid]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 104
}
@Body[Atell]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 105
}
@Body[Derso]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 106
}
@Body[Eli]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 111
}
@Body[Ernus]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 101
}
@Body[Etal]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 119
}
@Body[Ete]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 115
}
@Body[Lave]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 110
}
@Body[Leouch]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 112
}
@Body[Moh]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 102
}
@Body[Nolas]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 113
}
@Body[Oree]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 116
}
@Body[Serran]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 109
}
@Body[Sonnah]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 107
}
@Body[Tidus]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 118
}
@Body[Titanus]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 114
}
@Body[Vanor]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 117
}
}

Enjoy!

Bug with the latest NH and the latest Kerbol Plus, Eeloo and Minmus end up orbiting inside the Sun. Kerbol Plus is trying to make Eeloo orbit Sarvin now (like OPM does with Sarnus), that's probably behind the muckup somehow, I've yet to poke into the configs.

it did? :huh: ffs ok ill have a look

Forgive me if this has been asked- I've only skimmed the pages, busy day and all- are the easter eggs on the various planets all still there? Barring that, are there any new things for us to discover beyond the fancy new planets and moons and such? If not maybe you'd be up for some ideas.

all of the stock worlds are the same, apart from their orbits. So yeah they are all still there. As for easter eggs on the worlds, not at the moment, finding enough things to add onto all 19 boodies is a pretty tiring job!

I got bitten by this, too. I'm sure KillAshley removed the flightGlobalsIndex for a good reason :) ... but I've got a save game from v1.6.5 that I've been playing for weeks, I've got lots of ships flying everywhere, and many named saves, and I really don't want to risk messing them up by manually editing the save games to try to fix them.

So I cobbled together the following ModuleManager patch that you can use for backwards compatibility to 1.6.5. It just adds the old 1.6.5 flightGlobalsIndex values back to all the NH planets, so that if you have a v1.6.5 save that you want to continue using under 1.6.6, just copy this to a .cfg file in your GameData folder and you're all set.

I did this for my own sake, so I can continue having lots of fun with this mod on my existing save. I'm posting it here in case others may find it useful, but use at your own risk. No warranties, express or implied; if it causes you problems, don't come to me for answers, 'coz I'm a ModuleManager noob myself and just now figured out how to make this work, and I'm making this change in utter ignorance of any dire consequences since I don't know KillAshley's reasons for the change. :)

// New Horizons v1.6.6 removed flightGlobalsIndex from all its planets.
// This breaks any games that were saved with v1.6.5 (causes ships to end
// up at the wrong planet). If you have a save game from 1.6.5 and want to
// continue playing it under 1.6.6, save this to your GameData folder as a .cfg file.
// Delete it when you no longer need it (e.g. when you move on to a new
// game that was started under 1.6.6), since New Horizon's author removed
// the flightGlobalsIndex for a reason.
@Kopernicus:AFTER[New_Horizons]
{
@Body[Aptur]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 108
}
@Body[Arin]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 103
}
@Body[Astid]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 104
}
@Body[Atell]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 105
}
@Body[Derso]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 106
}
@Body[Eli]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 111
}
@Body[Ernus]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 101
}
@Body[Etal]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 119
}
@Body[Ete]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 115
}
@Body[Lave]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 110
}
@Body[Leouch]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 112
}
@Body[Moh]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 102
}
@Body[Nolas]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 113
}
@Body[Oree]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 116
}
@Body[Serran]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 109
}
@Body[Sonnah]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 107
}
@Body[Tidus]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 118
}
@Body[Titanus]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 114
}
@Body[Vanor]
{
%flightGlobalsIndex = 117
}
}

Enjoy!

Yeah i probably should have given out a patch that did that, bit of an oversight, sorry. At least you sorted yourself out, thanks for sharing the patch for the others!

Thank you, and I appreciate that but I'm going to stick with what I have. It's just a flag and some debris in my case so no biggie. Hopefully this will help others though.

when i saw that flag on Eli i laughed so hard, then i remembered why it was there. Sry dude! looking forward to the next vid :sticktongue:

when i saw that flag on Eli i laughed so hard, then i remembered why it was there. Sry dude! looking forward to the next vid :sticktongue:

Compared to the problems I had with Trajectories, that was nothing. :D Don't worry about it.

I've got the ship built for the next mission. It's a 3-person ship, is named "The Bird Of Laythe" and gets into orbit just about every time I've test launched it. Which, in my space program, means it's ready to go on a full mission.

A question/request for KillAshley:

I've noticed that several of the new NH planets/moons seem to have curiously high altitude limits for timewarp. For example, Eli requires being over 30 km to allow any timewarp at all, and 60 km to get to x50.

Is there a particular reason for this? If not, could you lower these altitudes?

My (admittedly fuzzy) understanding as to why such limits even exist is to guard against either physics glitches (i.e. ensuring that the ticks of the physics clock are sufficiently fine-grained to deal with local conditions) or else perhaps playability (don't want players to accidentally miss opportunities when orbiting close in).

Having these really high limits has an impact on playability. For example, my NH game has gotten to where I'm now exploring Eli. I've got my orbiting mothership, and my little lander, and I'm doing a lot of "land, gather science, take off, rendezvous, refuel, repeat". I'm used to the types of altitude limits that the "native" KSP planets set, which work pretty well in my experience (the only one that ever causes me frustration is Gilly).

But with those high limits, it's maddeningly slow. The 30 km limit is incredibly tedious-- I like to keep my mothership in a fairly low orbit, and the lander is coming in very shallow to maximize Oberth effect, which means traversing half the circumference of the moon while under 30 km. That means every time I want to land and take off, I either have to sit there staring at the screen for several minutes while the lander creeps around the moon, or else switch back to the tracking station to warp to where I want to be and then switch back again, which breaks the immersion.

I've found that a good rule of thumb (at least for my own gameplay), as to what constitutes "enjoyable" versus "frustrating", is this:

• The minimum useful timewarp for low orbit around any body is x50. At that speed, it's reasonably friendly to wait for one orbit (a frequent scenario for doing rendezvous). Anything lower than that just takes forever. So the minimum height for x50 timewarp should be around the minimum "reasonable" altitude for someone to put an orbiter. On Eli, that's currently 60 km-- I'd suggest 25 km at most, preferably more like 20 km.
  • Allow x10 warp as low as possible without risking terrain collision. On Eli, I'd suggest, for example, 10 km for x5 and 15 km for x10.

I only raise the topic because it seems like an odd quirk in an otherwise stellar mod. Is there a particular reason for the limits to be set so high?

Edited by Snark

all of the stock worlds are the same, apart from their orbits. So yeah they are all still there. As for easter eggs on the worlds, not at the moment, finding enough things to add onto all 19 boodies is a pretty tiring job!

This is indeed true, though I could offer all manner of ideas for unique environmental and/or geographical oddities. And other things. It makes me wish I had more artistic skill than a mentally deficient chimp with bumblefoot, I'd try to do them myself..

ill raise the timewarp limits, I'm surprised noone has mentioned it before now really! It's been set as that by default for months lol. It was mainly a default timewarp i put in and intended to change, but kind of forgot about :blush:

Woot! Excellent, thanks! :D

(was starting to put together ModuleManager configs to hack it manually myself...)

After updating to 1.6.6 the game will no longer load. After the loading sequence I just end up at a black screen with the words "Kerbal Space Program" in a small grey box in the upper left hand corner. Anyone else run into this?