Why do you never visit Dres?

John FX

Dres is basically Ceres, we've known about it for over 200 years and humanity is just now beginning to explore it. We didn't send a spacecraft to explore it until March of 2015! It's small and relatively uninteresting. We will spend several hundred million dollars to determine that it's just another rock floating in space.

I actually find Dres to be really interesting because it's all alone out there. It's a hard place to get to, but it gives me a greater feeling of achievement than going to Jool or Eve.

I actually find Dres to be really interesting because it's all alone out there. It's a hard place to get to, but it gives me a greater feeling of achievement than going to Jool or Eve.

Getting to Dres is no harder then getting to any other planet. Dres is nothing more then a big moon and thus not worth wasting time to get to.

I intend to have a dedicated Dres program, in roughly this order:

orbiter>unmanned lander>rover>robotic return>manned landing>Dresteroid return mission.

on that note, can class A asteroids fit inside a cargobay?

I actually like going to Dres. I had a refueling station set up there in my biggest space program, while Eeloo didn't, back in 0.21 (I think). I intend to set up one again, with the new ISRU system.

A few weeks ago I sent a couple of all-terrain rovers to Dres; it's kinda fun to drive around in the big canyon. These rovers also had jump jets so they could do cool Evel Kernievel style jumps off the cliffs and still survive the landing. I wish there were a canyon like that on Kerbin or Laythe; it'd be a great place for high-speed stunt planes.

on that note, can class A asteroids fit inside a cargobay?

While they can fit. You can never time warp with them in it. Unless you leave to the space center right away. Even then. Don't expect it to stay with in it.

But, back to OP. Reason why I never visit Dres is simple. Updates which I then start a new game over.

Dres is a loner. Look at is inclined orbit, not near Duna, not near Jool. It doesn't need or want your attention. I visited once. Dres didn't offer me any snacks. It gets no contracts. Yes, Dres is a loner, but it's better for Dres and us that it is.

Dres? 'tis a silly place. Let's not go there.

It's an angry space potato of potatoyness. It never gets invited to parties, even to fill out numbers. Might be different if it had a moon or something.

I've actually been to Tylo more than Dres. It might also be an angry space spud, but it has interesting gravity at least.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.