Galactic Neighborhood

Sigma88

On May 4, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Sigma88 said:

yes, this is a known kopernicus issue. I had to remove power generation from solar panels in GN due to this bug.

It's odd that you find the charge "-infinity". I will have to take a look on that. should be 0

I'm having the same issue @Sigma88. Solar panel output reads "-Infinity" and no power is generated even with the generator turned on. I thought at first that it was a conflict with AmpYear, but even after I uninstalled AmpYear and tried again it still was the same. 

Other than that epic work!

8 hours ago, TheAdmiralty said:

I'm having the same issue @Sigma88. Solar panel output reads "-Infinity" and no power is generated even with the generator turned on. I thought at first that it was a conflict with AmpYear, but even after I uninstalled AmpYear and tried again it still was the same. 

Other than that epic work!

yes I see that issue, but I haven't been able to fix it..

12 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

yes I see that issue, but I haven't been able to fix it..

No worries! I'm sure you will figure it out. I've not even been to Duna yet, so no rush, lol. 

Is it normal to like trying out new mods more than playing the actual game? Had the same problem with Skyrim!

8 hours ago, TheAdmiralty said:

No worries! I'm sure you will figure it out. I've not even been to Duna yet, so no rush, lol. 

Is it normal to like trying out new mods more than playing the actual game? Had the same problem with Skyrim!

yes, ksp is a playground for mods.

This one promises to be fun.

Regarding your solar panel issue: do you have ModuleFlightIntegrator installed? I had issues with that mod and Other_Worlds, due to the 2nd sun. Not with this mod, but might be related.

Edited by Deimos Rast

On 5/25/2016 at 3:12 AM, Sigma88 said:

I'm not sure how you got in orbit around the barycenters of jooltylo and plutocharon

It should not be possible to reach those bodies (you should shift directly from sun to planet)

Unless I am misunderstanding your issue...

Feel free to post any problems you are having, I will not refuse to look at an issue just because "multiple mods" but I might ask you to strip down your install to the bare minimum

(In this case, GN + SB + planet packs)

so hyperedit allows you direct access to any "body" in ksp, to edit or do whatever with. My guess is he/she used hyperedit to select the barycenter as point of reference and hit "orbit." He/she likely created the very non-issue they then fixed.

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

yes, ksp is a playground for mods.

This one promises to be fun.

Regarding your solar panel issue: do you have ModuleFlightIntegrator installed? I had issues with that mod and Other_Worlds, due to the 2nd sun. Not with this mod, but might be related.

Deimos, don't have that one installed. Thanks for the suggestion though!

5 hours ago, TheAdmiralty said:

Deimos, don't have that one installed. Thanks for the suggestion though!

That was actually the opposite of a suggestion, as it caused conflicts when I had it and Open_Worlds installed. It is a dependency for some things though.

That was outside of Galactic Neighborhood (separate issue) though, so it might be different with this mod (I think this mod uses Open_Worlds). Only thing I could think of at 5 am.:)

Welcome to the Kommunity by the way.

On 5/16/2016 at 5:20 PM, Sigma88 said:

that should work, you should check out in game just to be sure

Sorry to be lagged (been busy in real life) but "it" didn't work.

By "it", I mean my proposed changes to GN's config files so that the OPM planets would stay in the StockSun system instead of being put in a clone stock system at another star called Helios.  I also just tried deleting the whole GN folder for OPM, in hopes that OPM itself would do its thing without reference to GN.  That didn't work either.  In this method, the OPM planets simply don't exist at all.

Bottom line:  No matter what I do, the OPM planets refuse to live in the StockSun system if I have GN installed.  I have reached the limits of my VERY sketchy knowledge of Kopernicus and ModuleManager so could really use some help here.  My desired outcome is for OPM to be in the StockSun system in all respects exactly like it is if you don't have GN installed, and for no clones of the StockSun system to be created.  Any help would be appreciated.

------------

In other news, while messing around with GN in general. I tried adding the Uncharted Lands system, which is updated to 1.1.2 and supported by GN.  I added this to an existing save that had a ship in orbit at Kerbin.  When I looked around in the tracking station, the ship was gone from Kerbin's orbit and instead in orbit around the UL version of Kerbin.  And it was totally dead as a ship, being treated as a moon.  Is that an unavoidable side effect of using GN or a bug?

1 minute ago, Geschosskopf said:

Sorry to be lagged (been busy in real life) but "it" didn't work.

By "it", I mean my proposed changes to GN's config files so that the OPM planets would stay in the StockSun system instead of being put in a clone stock system at another star called Helios.  I also just tried deleting the whole GN folder for OPM, in hopes that OPM itself would do its thing without reference to GN.  That didn't work either.  In this method, the OPM planets simply don't exist at all.

Bottom line:  No matter what I do, the OPM planets refuse to live in the StockSun system if I have GN installed.  I have reached the limits of my VERY sketchy knowledge of Kopernicus and ModuleManager so could really use some help here.  My desired outcome is for OPM to be in the StockSun system in all respects exactly like it is if you don't have GN installed, and for no clones of the StockSun system to be created.  Any help would be appreciated.

------------

In other news, while messing around with GN in general. I tried adding the Uncharted Lands system, which is updated to 1.1.2 and supported by GN.  I added this to an existing save that had a ship in orbit at Kerbin.  When I looked around in the tracking station, the ship was gone from Kerbin's orbit and instead in orbit around the UL version of Kerbin.  And it was totally dead as a ship, being treated as a moon.  Is that an unavoidable side effect of using GN or a bug?

first issue, try this:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	@Body[Sarnus]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			@referenceBody = StockSun
		}
	}
	@Body[Urlum]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
		}
	}
	@Body[Neidon]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
		}
	}
	@Body[Plock]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
		}
	}
	!Body:HAS[@Orbit:HAS[#referenceBody[Helios]]] {}
	!Body[Eeloo] {}
	@Body[Sarnus?IV]
	{
		@name = Eeloo
	}
}

the second issue might be a result of installing on an ongoing save. those kind of stuff happen when adding new mods.

it's weird tho that it looks like a moon

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

first issue, try this:

That worked!  Thanks muchos.  The OPM planets are at StockSun and, while Helios still exists, it has no planets.  You might want to include that config file in an "options" folder as I'm sure many OPM users would prefer things this way.

Anyway, with that solved, I made my 1st interstellar trip ever over to nearby.  Using the small USI warp drive (with HyperEdit refueling it) twice, the trip took 3.75 hours of gametime done at 4x physical warp because using regular warp hosed the drive up.  So I played a lot of solitaire in another window while this was happening.  However, it was worth the trip.  Kalgol is spectacular with B's atmosphere being sucked into A.

01 Kalgol Orbit

I did notice a few issues along the way and after the tirp, however.  Some of these might be incompatible mods and not GN's problem per se, but I figured I'd mention them for general knowledge.

1.  Revert Flight Not an Option
Once at Kalgol, I wanted to revert to launch but the revert option was not available when I hit ESC.  The option was grayed out.

2.  Asteroid Issues
As mentioned, I added GN to an existing save.  That save includes Custom Asteroids mod.  There were quite a few asteroids already in existence, 5 tracked and a couple dozen untracked.  Adding GN made all those asteroids jump to orbiting an empty area of space without a star, which I assume was the galactic core.  Oh well.  While I was making the trip to Kalgol, 2 new unknown asteroids did spawn in the Kerbin system.  But for some reason, I was unable to track them in the tracking center.  The buttons were all grayed out.

3.  Kerbin Sky Issues
Anyway, from my ship at Kalgol, I returned to the space center and it was very weird.  KSC and the ground was illuminated as if it was broad daylight but the sky was black.  So I hit the button to warp ahead to the next sunrise, time passed, and the warp eventually stopped.  The sky was still totally black, however, with no sun in the sky.

04 Kerbin Sky Issues

I went into the tracking center, hit the "warp to sunrise button" again, and when I got back outside, the sky was blue but there was no sun in it.  "Warp to sunrise" from the KSC view kept the sky blue like daylight despite a full day-night cycle passing on the clock, and the sun remained missing.  Going back into the tracking center and repeating the process turned the sky black again but the daylight level of illumination of the ground remained, and the sun never appeared.  I went out to the main menu and back into the game, but nothing changed.  The ground was still bright, the sky was still black, and there was still no sun.

On May 30, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Deimos Rast said:

That was actually the opposite of a suggestion, as it caused conflicts when I had it and Open_Worlds installed. It is a dependency for some things though.

That was outside of Galactic Neighborhood (separate issue) though, so it might be different with this mod (I think this mod uses Open_Worlds). Only thing I could think of at 5 am.:)

Welcome to the Kommunity by the way.

Thanks, long time Kerbal player, first time poster, lol. 

I meant a suggestion for a possible source of my trouble I was picking up what you were laying down!

I tried to start this up to test with my ResearchBodies mod but I am having the same issue as Geschosskopf. I've installed this mod, OPM, Sigma Binaries (with just SigmaDunaIke)... Starting a new game I find myself on Kerbin in the stock system. But whilst the sun appears in the sky the sky is night dark (showing the skybox). Going into the tracking station I see the stock Kerbol system and zooming out further I see other stars that strangely appear/disappear (like they are being occluded by something) as you pan the camera around. Went through the log but there is nothing in there related to this or Kopernicus.
EDIT: I think the appear/disappear in the tracking station of the stars is Distant Object Enhancement flares.

Edited by JPLRepo

@JPLRepo This is from the Other_Worlds thread, a planet pack that I believe is in GN. If not, it might be a similar issue, regarding Distant Object Enhancement. No idea on the black sky. Post here. Other_Worlds has a DOE.cfg you're supposed to remove if you have issues with flares (see here), but you don't have that installed. GN might have a similar file though.

On 9/16/2015 at 5:39 AM, Pkmniako said:

It's a Distant Object Enhancement bug. Because Cercani is so far from Kerbol, the exoplanets flares aren't render.

@Geschosskopf

Issue 1: revert flight

I have no idea why the revert flight shouldn't be available. I can take  look but it sounds like something outside my capabilities to fix.

Issue 2: asteroids

When you load an old save in GN all crafts that orbit the sun end up orbiting the core. I have no idea about the tracking bug. Maybe you can try removing custom asteroids and see what happens

Issue 3: Dark sky

Also for @JPLRepo

If you are talking about the KSC screen (the starting one where you choose which building to enter) then this is a Kopernicus bug resulting from the reparenting of kerbin

If you put a ship on the launchpad and watch from there, everything should be fine

@Geschosskopf

Issue 1: revert flight

I have no idea why the revert flight shouldn't be available. I can take  look but it sounds like something outside my capabilities to fix.

@Sigma88

During a flight you are only able to revert to flight as long as you keep that flight as the active ship.  Once you move away from the active flight, to the KSC, to a different flight, etc, you lose the option to revert.

Just now, sentania said:

@Sigma88

During a flight you are only able to revert to flight as long as you keep that flight as the active ship.  Once you move away from the active flight, to the KSC, to a different flight, etc, you lose the option to revert.

I know that, I am supposing @Geschosskopf didn't do anything that should block the ability to revert, but still got the grey button

That's kinda what I figured you'd say.  My thought is that crossing stellar SOI boundaries causes KSP to consider that you've left the ship and returned to it, so revert doesn't work.  So I mentioned this for possible inclusion in the list of known issues.  To answer @sentania's concern, I kept the interstellar ship focused the entire time.  Launched, HyperEdited to orbit, engaged warp, and went to Kalgol.  Once at Kalgol, I tried to revert and could not.

Issue 2: asteroids

When you load an old save in GN all crafts that orbit the sun end up orbiting the core. I have no idea about the tracking bug. Maybe you can try removing custom asteroids and see what happens

Well, here's what I did.  In the same installation, I removed Custom Asteroids and started new game #1.  This had the stock asteroids appearing as normal and they could be tracked, terminated, and all that just fine.  So I deleted new game #1, quit KSP, installed Custom Asteroids, and started new game #2.  This time, no asteroids appeared at all despite timewarping a couple years ahead.  I then quit KSP, restarted it, and resumed new game #2.  Now asteroids are appearing normally, including all the funky ones from Custom Asteroids.  And I can interact with them normally.

So for some reason, it seems that if you have GN and CA installed, when you start a new game, you have to quit it and return before CA actually starts to work.  But once you kick CA like this, everything seems good.

Issue 3: Dark sky

Also for @JPLRepo

If you are talking about the KSC screen (the starting one where you choose which building to enter) then this is a Kopernicus bug resulting from the reparenting of kerbin

If you put a ship on the launchpad and watch from there, everything should be fine

Yup, that's what I'm talking about and yup, the black sky goes away when I'm focused on a ship instead of the KSC external view.  Hmm.  Well, hopefully Kopernicus will address this.

1 minute ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yup, that's what I'm talking about and yup, the black sky goes away when I'm focused on a ship instead of the KSC external view.  Hmm.  Well, hopefully Kopernicus will address this.

sadly this is a very nasty bug, the same that forces me to turn off solar panels. It has been know for a while now. and it doesn't look like a solution is near

I tried installing this and Other Worlds last night... loaded my save.. KSC scene failed to appear... just hung there, had to task-kill KSP.  Removing both of these mods solved it.  BUT.  I also have Outer Planets and the Dres update mod installed.  Do those conflict?

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

I tried installing this and Other Worlds last night... loaded my save.. KSC scene failed to appear... just hung there, had to task-kill KSP.  Removing both of these mods solved it.  BUT.  I also have Outer Planets and the Dres update mod installed.  Do those conflict?

I have no idea what Dres update mod is

my suggestion would be to start with no planet packs, check if everything works and then add one at a time

and don't load old saves, this mod drastically changes the universe so everything will be messed up if you load an old save

Hello, I have a few questions about getting your mod to work.

I installed the mod and placed it into my gamedata folder. I did the same with Kopernicus. No other planet packs. Whenever I load up the game, the stars still fail to appear. 

Do you have any idea why this may be? I didn't find any errors in the logs, so I'm sorry I can't give you more info. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but I can't see it.

Thanks!

EDIT: Found it. Was trying to run it in a 1.1.0 install by accident. Derp.

Edited by kmMango

I've seen the posts on the solar panel issue and some suggested solutions but haven't seen anything implemented (apologies if I've missed it). I made a small plugin that adds it's self (with a MM patch) to all parts containing a ModuleDeployableSolarPanel. It then, on load, crawls up the SOI chain looking for a body with a temp >= 2000K and assumes that's the star, uses that to calculate a EC generation rate and adds it. If anyone is interested here's the proof of principle code.

using UnityEngine;

namespace KSolar
{
    public class ModuleKSolar : PartModule
    {
        private static double AU = 13599840256.0;
        private bool initialized = false;
        private CelestialBody star = null;
        private ModuleDeployableSolarPanel existingSolarPanel = null;

[KSPField(guiActive = true, guiActiveEditor = false, guiName = "EC", guiFormat = "F3", isPersistant = false)]
        public float EC =  0.0f;

protected void ScanForStar()
        {
            // Find existing solar panel so we can use it's exposure calculations
            existingSolarPanel = part.FindModuleImplementing<ModuleDeployableSolarPanel>();
            if (existingSolarPanel == null) return;

// Scan up the herarchy looking for a CelestrialBody with a temperature >= 2000K
            // If we don't find the star in ten iterations - bail
            int Depth = 0;
            star = FlightGlobals.currentMainBody;
            while ((Depth < 10) && (star.GetTemperature(0) < 2000))
            {
                star = star.referenceBody;
                Depth++;
            }
            if ((star.GetTemperature(0) < 2000) || (star.name == "Galactic Core"))
                star = null;

initialized = true;
        }

public void FixedUpdate()
        {
            if ((!initialized) && (FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel != null) && 
                (!FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel.HoldPhysics))
            {
                ScanForStar();
            }

if (star != null)
            {
                Vector3d toStar = part.WCoM - star.position;
                float dist = (float)(toStar.magnitude / AU);
                EC = (float)(existingSolarPanel.chargeRate * existingSolarPanel.sunAOA / (dist * dist));
                // Need to factor in luminosity - where is it? (and temperature?)
                float ECPT = EC * Time.deltaTime;
                part.RequestResource("ElectricCharge", -ECPT);
            }
        }

}
}

Some things this doesn't do is account for the star's luminosity and temperature - not sure where to find those , nor does it check for star SOI changes. I'm sure I've missed a few failure modes but in testing it didn't spam the logs with errors.

Possible patch or am I missing something?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.