[1.8-1.12] Kethane Plugin and Parts 0.11.0 - Now with background scanning.

taniwha

The shader is in kethane-*.ksp: delete the two that are not relevant for your platform. BTW, works fine here because I use Linux and kethane-linux.ksp gets loaded first and thus the right shader gets loaded :)

1 hour ago, taniwha said:

The shader is in kethane-*.ksp: delete the two that are not relevant for your platform. BTW, works fine here because I use Linux and kethane-linux.ksp gets loaded first and thus the right shader gets loaded :)

OMG I LOVE YOU!!!! No more pink everything! My eyes have stopped bleeding!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

OMG I thought Kethane was so dead that I'd stopped checking on it!
I'm so pleased to see that it's back (and apparently has been for a while now). As others have said, this was one of the first ever mods I started using and it actually makes ISRU fun! The parts are aesthetically so much nicer (and I just love the particle effects), the scanning process is more engaging and sensible, and mining doesn't take eons! Thanks for bringing this back @taniwha!! 

Are there any plans to add kethane mining to asteroids? 

10 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

I've heard about this but have only just actually looked into it. I may have to download... 

Can you please add some pics or a link to an infuriating album please? I would like to see what the parts look like. 

It would likely be less effort to simply download the mod and look at the parts yourself. Then @taniwha would have more time to actually work on creating cool new things. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm unable to download... 

http://taniwha.org/~bill/Kethane-0.9.7.zip just returns...

This site can’t be reached

The web page at http://taniwha.org/~bill/Kethane-0.9.7.zip might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Search Google for taniwha org ~bill Kethane

ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED

is there another download link I'm missing?

Seems to be working now

Edited by al9984
Download link working now

Is this still being worked on? Not that I am expecting certain new features or anything but I am just surprised that no one seems to be talking about this mod.

When I first started playing 2 years ago this mod was huge and everybody was talking about it. Now I wanted to check YouTube for a tutorial / gameplay video on the new version and no one seems to bother. I have been abscent from the game and community for a while now, can someone explain?

1 hour ago, Milky said:

Is this still being worked on? Not that I am expecting certain new features or anything but I am just surprised that no one seems to be talking about this mod.

When I first started playing 2 years ago this mod was huge and everybody was talking about it. Now I wanted to check YouTube for a tutorial / gameplay video on the new version and no one seems to bother. I have been abscent from the game and community for a while now, can someone explain?

Milky,

I see this is your first post on the forums, but did you read up at all before posting?  The maintainer of this mod posted a mere 5 posts above and only a few weeks ago

Rumors of Kethane's death are greatly exaggerated.

The mod is updated to work with 1.2.  So the short answer is yes, it is still being worked on.

This mod was all the rage in its day because IIRC it was the first mining/resource mod for KSP.  It is now overshadowed by the fact that mining is a stock part of KSP now.

15 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Milky,

I see this is your first post on the forums, but did you read up at all before posting?  The maintainer of this mod posted a mere 5 posts above and only a few weeks ago

The mod is updated to work with 1.2.  So the short answer is yes, it is still being worked on.

This mod was all the rage in its day because IIRC it was the first mining/resource mod for KSP.  It is now overshadowed by the fact that mining is a stock part of KSP now.

I did read the rest of the thread and now that you mention it, my initial question was a bit confusing and misleading. I knew there was someone who still works on this, I was just surprised that this didn't get more attention and figured that something might be wrong with the mod. 

I didn't know that Kethane or something similar is now actually a stock part of KSP, I will have to read up on that. Thank you for your quick reply!

On 03.11.2016 at 10:59 AM, taniwha said:

And desirable to add this info in first post or in mod's readme.

Anyway, thanks. )

On ۱۳۹۴/۶/۵ ه‍.ش. at 4:58 PM, cantab said:

Kethane scanning takes time, stock ore scanning is instant. One of the first things I'd like to see improved in Kethane is timewarp scanning by the way.

There is a survay scaner mod that does exactly that, making the scanning over time and not in one shot

On ۱۳۹۴/۶/۵ ه‍.ش. at 4:58 PM, cantab said:

Kethane can make xenon, ore cannot.

@RoverDude can't we add some MM patches to add the ability for conversions to karbonite too? I never done it but just asking? I would appreciate if this would be added to karbonite mod.

Other than these two, the rest of your words are 100% accurate

Edited by Jiraiyah

12 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Feel free to add whatever MM patches you want :wink:  

:/ here is the problem, I'm not that familiar with your mod's working system yet, I'm afraid if I do something, I would break the balance that you worked on so much time to maintain

Excuse me my English. I am from Russia. But... I have some problems with this mod and KSP 1.2.2. The grid is pink! And it doesn't show any resources. What must I do whit it? Is there KETHANE for 1.2.2 version? Or how can I solve this problem? Please,  help me! And excuse my English) 

When running only this mod on an otherwise modless install of KSP v1.2.2 for Windows x64, in the TrackingCenter, enabling the geodesic grid overlay produces a magenta hex-mesh on all focused planets, but not on any unfocused planet.  Undisplaying the geodesic grid allows for the magenta to disappear and the normal planet texture to become visible again.

Again, this happens on an otherwise unmodded install, Windows x64, with Kethane v0.9.8 (re-downloaded and re-tested to make sure.)

Logs and screen grabs are available here.

I'm rather convinced that I'm the one who's doing something wrong, but I can't seem to figure out what.  Any advice would be appreciated.

25 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

When running only this mod on an otherwise modless install of KSP v1.2.2 for Windows x64, in the TrackingCenter, enabling the geodesic grid overlay produces a magenta hex-mesh on all focused planets, but not on any unfocused planet.  Undisplaying the geodesic grid allows for the magenta to disappear and the normal planet texture to become visible again.

Again, this happens on an otherwise unmodded install, Windows x64, with Kethane v0.9.8 (re-downloaded and re-tested to make sure.)

Logs and screen grabs are available here.

I'm rather convinced that I'm the one who's doing something wrong, but I can't seem to figure out what.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Did you read up?

57 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Did you read up?

Well slap me around and call me a doomed kerbal.  I thought I had but I obviously missed that.

That would be very helpful if it were more prominently explained in a readme file.

Separately from a readme, perhaps @taniwha could consider adding a .version to the file to allow for easier AVC / CKAN updates?  (And with respect to CKAN, perhaps the NetKan maintainers could include a sub-selection on shader needs would also help reduce user error in installation -- I think I'll bring this to their attention.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.