[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Araym said:

*snip*
Now...
... what next?? Delta rockets? IUS? Delta  III/IV cryogenic stages??? Arf Arf Arf :P

Well, I still have to finish Titan IV, the Transtage, and some misc parts such as the various fairing bases. After that, Delta II will likely be my primary project. I am also working on the rest of the Karrot parts, as well as the parts inspired by MOL and the various proposed Gemini projects. I have a big list of things I want to work on, so I have projects to last me for a while. I've just made a strawpoll so y'all can tell me what you're interested in. I've allowed multiple votes so vote on anything you'd like to see I guess.

On the topic of streaming my dev work, I have really enjoyed it the last couple times I've done it. It's a very welcome break from sitting alone at my computer doing work. It's also fun to get input as I'm working, to I'd like to do it more often, perhaps even make it the norm rather than the exception. With that said, I have some questions:

1) I am fairly new to streaming, so is there anything I can do to improve the streams? Any tips? Is my voice annoying and/or does it cut out too often to understand me? Are there any features you'd like to see, like seeing my keypresses and mouse clicks on the screen?

2) What is the best way of notifying people of when I'm going to start? I plan on trying to find a regular evening to work, but it's very easy for me to just start up the stream so anyone can drop by.

If I have time I will probably stream again tonight. I'm planning on trying to do the Titan IV fuel tanks, and maybe start on Transtage, as well as the various misc parts that the Titan parts need such as new fairing bases. I will also be continuing work on the Delta upper stage, and will probably be playing around with some ideas for the various Gemini-inspired things like the rest of the Karrot suite and the baby station parts. For Gemini's direction, I've been somewhat inspired by this image made by our own @Angel-125.

Edited by CobaltWolf

CobaltWolf, I love this work! I can't wait to see this mod go forth. I love the modelling and texturing. Not many realistic part mods can have the ability to be stockalike, but you my friend, have done it so well. I appreciate your work 10x and hope to see more. I have some ideas for you. I don't know if you want to hear them, but if you do, I am open to messages. I am having so much fun with this mod. Hope to share my ideas!

First, I am very glad I saw your stream Cobaltwolf, I don't think I would have tried out this mod without seeing the stream first. I think the Karrot and MOL parts would be fun to see, and as a suggestion, rather than Saturn parts (if you ever get there), something unique might be the large diameter Titan parts (the 15 or 16 foot diameter core Titan proposals would have pushed the payload above the Saturn IB lift capacity). Just for reference, here is the NTRS document that I linked to in the chat yesterday (the one that has the baby Centaur parts).

32 minutes ago, TimothyC said:

First, I am very glad I saw your stream Cobaltwolf, I don't think I would have tried out this mod without seeing the stream first. I think the Karrot and MOL parts would be fun to see, and as a suggestion, rather than Saturn parts (if you ever get there), something unique might be the large diameter Titan parts (the 15 or 16 foot diameter core Titan proposals would have pushed the payload above the Saturn IB lift capacity). Just for reference, here is the NTRS document that I linked to in the chat yesterday (the one that has the baby Centaur parts).

I agree. Saturn parts would be great! 

1 hour ago, TimothyC said:

I am very glad I saw your stream Cobaltwolf

Our efforts really paid off in Titan SRM series development. It was a great stream last night... and a long one in that; the longest I've ever stayed in a livestream.

7 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

He said a couple livestreams ago, he would make a Saturn 1/1B (perhaps a Saturn V) in the Far Future.

The best you could hope for is a Saturn 1b, but he is most definitely not making a Saturn V or any Apollo related hardware beyond that. However, the Apollo re-purposementt project or whatever is something possible.

Well I'm glad you had fun guys! I've taken care of everything today, so I'm going to start working about five minutes from this post. The stream will be up on my Twitch, same as always, and will probably go until around midnight EST. I'm trying to drive for as much work as possible now before I start getting big homework assignments.

On the topic of Saturn/Apollo, my statement was that *IF* I do Apollo, I would being doing *ALL* of it. Various Saturns, Apollos, Applications Project stuff, things that never got off the drawing board. The point was that if I did get around to it, it would be more than just Saturn V, Apollo CSM and LEM. As one can expect, this is a fairly big undertaking, and one that I'm not quite ready for yet. The statement was more just to throw y'all a bone. It's something I may or may not do in the future, it's not something that particularly interests me, but I said the same thing about Titan and I've been convinced it was cool since I've started working on it. At the end of the day, I have a lot of stuff on the todo list right now, and it will probably be a while before I even start considering doing it. My interests are generally in smaller things rather than 'the biggest and the best', it's just how I am. :)

@drekerb42 I very much welcome ideas! As I just said, I have a long list of things I want to work on, but that list often gets shuffled around based on the interest of the community and (unfortunately, more importantly) myself. If you're not comfortable with posting them in the thread you're free to PM me. Photographs, diagrams, and especially artists illustrations (which tend to be a little more... Kerbal) are appreciated.

@fs10inator I am not entirely sure that the stock fairing module is supported by Tweakscale. I would like to make my fairings compatible/auto convert to PFairings but I don't see anything about how to go about doing that. I much prefer PFairings to the stock ones. If I do that, it would include textures for all the fairings I've made. @MeCripp @Ravenchant do you have any insight? (Also have y'all noticed that I love the username ping feature?)

Edited by CobaltWolf

18 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I am not entirely sure that the stock fairing module is supported by Tweakscale. I would like to make my fairings compatible/auto convert to PFairings but I don't see anything about how to go about doing that. I much prefer PFairings to the stock ones. If I do that, it would include textures for all the fairings I've made.

The stock fairing module lacks TweakScale support... that is, unless if I edit the config (like what I temporarily did with the .cfgs of some of your Titan parts in my copy of the BDB dev release, that being before the SRMs came).

But I just remembered one problem with my TweakScale question as far as fairing bases are concerned... I rarely use stock fairings, otherwise, my (Atlas-)Centaur insulation panel thing and Titan IV tri-sector fairing would've been impossible (almost for the latter). :P
I much prefer PFairings to the stock ones as well (even if I have to enable Non-Strict Part Attachment Orientation Checks every time I work with the Procedural Fairings Textures).
I also prefer PWings to stock wings as well.

Edited by fs10inator

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well I'm glad you had fun guys! I've taken care of everything today, so I'm going to start working about five minutes from this post. The stream will be up on my Twitch, same as always, and will probably go until around midnight EST. I'm trying to drive for as much work as possible now before I start getting big homework assignments.

On the topic of Saturn/Apollo, my statement was that *IF* I do Apollo, I would being doing *ALL* of it. Various Saturns, Apollos, Applications Project stuff, things that never got off the drawing board. The point was that if I did get around to it, it would be more than just Saturn V, Apollo CSM and LEM. As one can expect, this is a fairly big undertaking, and one that I'm not quite ready for yet. The statement was more just to throw y'all a bone. It's something I may or may not do in the future, it's not something that particularly interests me, but I said the same thing about Titan and I've been convinced it was cool since I've started working on it. At the end of the day, I have a lot of stuff on the todo list right now, and it will probably be a while before I even start considering doing it. My interests are generally in smaller things rather than 'the biggest and the best', it's just how I am. :)

@drekerb42 I very much welcome ideas! As I just said, I have a long list of things I want to work on, but that list often gets shuffled around based on the interest of the community and (unfortunately, more importantly) myself. If you're not comfortable with posting them in the thread you're free to PM me. Photographs, diagrams, and especially artists illustrations (which tend to be a little more... Kerbal) are appreciated.

@fs10inator I am not entirely sure that the stock fairing module is supported by Tweakscale. I would like to make my fairings compatible/auto convert to PFairings but I don't see anything about how to go about doing that. I much prefer PFairings to the stock ones. If I do that, it would include textures for all the fairings I've made. @MeCripp @Ravenchant do you have any insight? (Also have y'all noticed that I love the username ping feature?)

What part you want to use has the base and will fix it up

EDIT- I only found one cfg for the fairing base and, I see 3 fairing bases can some one point me where they other 2 are found Brun-4688 stock Fairing Base

Edited by Mecripp2

Titan IVB airborne again, but this time, it's flying on TWIN TAILS of FLAME! 
Courtesy of @VenomousRequiem's tastiest of eye candy: the new RealPlume configs!
(see above post)

LhwaKjr.png

Adjusting effects with SmokeScreen (which RealPlume depends on) makes the SRMU separation look much better.

xtFhiC7.png
gotta love SmokeScreen.

Alright, well may I suggest maybe putting out little releases (even if they're buggy) for the community to test? (At their own risk)

Now for the suggestions:

- Orion spacecraft

- Space Launch System

-Delta IV Heavy

-SpaceX Falcon Series

I personally would love to see the Orion and SLS models because the mod community lacks a stockalike one. I am pointing out the ShadowWorks SLS Pack and the Space Launch System Parts Pack. I probably have more suggestions but can't think of 'em right now. I'll post later.

Edited by drekerb42
Found a question answer in the feed.

12 minutes ago, drekerb42 said:

Alright, well may I suggest maybe putting out little releases (even if they're buggy) for the community to test? (At their own risk)

Now for the suggestions:

- Orion spacecraft

- Space Launch System

-Delta IV Heavy

-SpaceX Falcon Series

I personally would love to see the Orion and SLS models because the mod community lacks a stockalike one. I am pointing out the ShadowWorks SLS Pack and the Space Launch System Parts Pack. I probably have more suggestions but can't think of 'em right now. I'll post later.

I mean... SSTU has an SLS and Orion, and I think he's working on Delta IV Heavy, but they're not... as stockalike as they could be.

48 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I mean... SSTU has an SLS and Orion, and I think he's working on Delta IV Heavy, but they're not... as stockalike as they could be.

Want a good Stockalike Orion? Get Taurus HCV, Aerojet Kerbodyne, and Tweakscale.

4 hours ago, MeCripp said:

What part you want to use has the base and will fix it up

EDIT- I only found one cfg for the fairing base and, I see 3 fairing bases can some one point me where they other 2 are found Brun-4688 stock Fairing Base

Can you PM me an explanation on how to make them compatible? Is it an MM config? I have three new fairing bases in the next update alone so I'd like to be able to do it myself without having to bother y'all every time I want to add one. :)

Here's some progress on Delta K for those that missed the stream. Made some important, uh, progress on cameras and MOL but nothing worth showing.

Y8MThqF.png

*Heavily panting*

AaaaaAAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA

g22veUV.png

I finally did it. I even had over 2000M/s left over after the initial orbital insertion!

Anyways!!

16 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@VenomousRequiem: Just curious remind me what Harder Solar system you use?

Harder Solar System x3

9 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Want a good Stockalike Orion? Get Taurus HCV, Aerojet Kerbodyne, and Tweakscale.

Fight me, SSTU is bae.

5 minutes ago, drekerb42 said:

Sorry, where do I download the dev releases? Im new here. And by the way Cobalt, will you think about CKAN compatibility?

Right here my good man. And uh... he kinda put CKAN up to me but I haven't figured it out.