Devnote Tuesday: Kerbal Space Program 1.0.5

SQUAD

Cool news, glad we'll have some new toys to play with before Christmas. I've been hoping for some form of contextual contracts for a long while now, so I'm excited to have them in the next update. New parts will be a nice bonus too. :)

Will the atmosphere update be in 1.0.5 so that aerobraking at Jool becomes viable again?

That is my question, if the answer is yes then I will get quite excited for this update. I'm not gunna lie I was sad when I saw no Unity 5 but props to squad for the right decision.

Here's to hoping for a good 1.1 release in the hopefully near future.

If RTGs are going to generate heat now I hope the bugs associated with them are fixed at the same time. They currently are just about the first thing to overheat and explode no matter where you put them, even inside cargo and service bays.

I'm not a fan of photo panels (don't like my craft failing just because the sun sets or I go beyond Duna), so RTGs are on nearly all my craft. It would be really handy then to have a couple of variations of them, say in each of the round sizes, with scaled power output to match.

I'll second that. The larger ones should be, IMHO, something like a dedicated "service bay" which comes with a cluster of RTGs inside (and it only counts as one part), but yes, it would be great to have inline RTGs of some sort without blowing the part count.

I am not sure I got an answer to my question from last week: What about the Asteroid Day Mod, will it be integrated, will it still work ... ?

It will need an update to keep up with some minor changes to how waypoint rendering works, but I already have one planned out.

That is actually on purpose, it has to do with the a more realistic jet engine assembly mass distribution. Someone with more knowledge about jet engines would be more suited to explain this, though :)

Maybe you could have a mesh-less texture that shows the actual engine and not the nozzle? So the CoM is in the model but it has no collision mesh.

1.0.5 likely means that 1.1 is a bit farther off than they have been telling us.

Sounded to me that the 1.1 update is still in the 'just a few more weeks' state. While this state can last for quite a long time for software projects, especially if you have moving objectives, there is no guarantee that the 1.1 changes won't just 'gel' and be ready for QA before the end of the month.

Sounds more like they decided that 1.1 has already taken too long and they want to give their loyal fans something to be excited about while they wait(just in case the completion date continues to move out farther than expected).

So they took a look at all these neat things that were ready to go, and would even work under the old version of unity and put them together as a release.

Dont want to hurry with asking for a U5 release - but is there a "not before"-date that you can tell so ppl that are waiting just for that dont have to check every other day and perhaps get disappointed more and more that its not here yet?

Not Complaining about 1.0.5 - just sad that U5 update seems to be further away than expected. A comment like "not within the next 2 month (not guaranteed, but estimated)" would at least help.

No one would complain if it takes 3 or 4 instead of those 2 - but ppl would know whats going on and dont wish for it to happen every new week.

Thanks

Squad mentioned that the 1.1 release was still in the 'a few more weeks' stage. So, allowing 2-3 weeks for QA, I would not expect the 1.1 release before November, but any time after that is entirely plausible(perhaps even late October if everything 'just works').

I am looking forward to the active refrigeration in the radiator parts, even if it requires power to use.

Might forgo the antenna range changes for my current game though, save that for my next game where I don't already have scansats headed for Eeloo.

Sounded to me that the 1.1 update is still in the 'just a few more weeks' state. While this state can last for quite a long time for software projects, especially if you have moving objectives, there is no guarantee that the 1.1 changes won't just 'gel' and be ready for QA before the end of the month.

Sounds more like they decided that 1.1 has already taken too long and they want to give their loyal fans something to be excited about while they wait(just in case the completion date continues to move out farther than expected).

So they took a look at all these neat things that were ready to go, and would even work under the old version of unity and put them together as a release.

Squad mentioned that the 1.1 release was still in the 'a few more weeks' stage. So, allowing 2-3 weeks for QA, I would not expect the 1.1 release before November, but any time after that is entirely plausible(perhaps even late October if everything 'just works').

I am looking forward to the active refrigeration in the radiator parts, even if it requires power to use.

Might forgo the antenna range changes for my current game though, save that for my next game where I don't already have scansats headed for Eeloo.

1.1 has been in the 'just a few more weeks' stage for a few weeks now though, and if they feel the need to release 1.0.5, I feel it will be at least a month away, probably farther. (Not complaining, just saying)

I saw reference to a feature discussed earlier and wanted to see if it is included in this release. The first admin notes release on this update discussed elaboration on contracts and as example used satellites and an earlier discussion concerned the next update said they might incorporate this...

Are you incorporating the RemoteTech style satellite relay requirements in this release?

Edited by Friend Bear

A note on the overhaul for thermo (which was discussed in an early dev note, and is mentioned as part of 1.0.5 here). It is a backend overhaul, which means that it should not feel differently to the player except to the extent that bugs are fixed and corner cases better handled. For example, bugs with small parts, parts with weird differences in area and mass, Joolian aerobrake issues, etc--all have been fixed. Further, it is now rather more tunable than before (both in terms of settings and in terms of exposed interfaces for analytic), although with the default settings it should play like a better-tuned, fixed version of 1.0.4 rather than anything that would require rebuilds.

The only thing that might require some rebuilding is that engine exhaust is now pretty deadly, so...be careful where you point things. ;)

A note on the overhaul for thermo (which was discussed in an early dev note, and is mentioned as part of 1.0.5 here). It is a backend overhaul, which means that it should not feel differently to the player except to the extent that bugs are fixed and corner cases better handled. For example, bugs with small parts, parts with weird differences in area and mass, Joolian aerobrake issues, etc--all have been fixed. Further, it is now rather more tunable than before (both in terms of settings and in terms of exposed interfaces for analytic), although with the default settings it should play like a better-tuned, fixed version of 1.0.4 rather than anything that would require rebuilds.

The only thing that might require some rebuilding is that engine exhaust is now pretty deadly, so...be careful where you point things. ;)

You mean....rocket fuel can actually melt steel beams now? :0

Makes sense, and the only thing that will be seriously affected by it are the separatrons, which can be angled

and they are usually in lower stages, so no spaceship in flight should affected

I guess we'll have to be careful when landing by a base though í ½í¸Â

I do hope you kept Sepatrons in mind while making that exhaust more deadly. It's hard enough to place them correctly as it is given we have a grand total of 1 option for them.

Makes sense, and the only thing that will be seriously affected by it are the separatrons, which can be angled

and they are usually in lower stages, so no spaceship in flight should affected

This means you now put the separatrons on the core stage, to safely annihilate the stage you're detaching :)

This means you now put the separatrons on the core stage, to safely annihilate the stage you're detaching :)

If that is what that means, it's a bug. Rockets don't annihilate their stages, KSP needs to keep a modicum of realistic design.

Now you're cooking with gas! I've been messing around with aerodynamic separation (not to be confused with aerodynamic disassembly) and getting a few fins in just the right spot is pretty satisfying.

Splitting a combined content and engine update into two is probably a good way to use the QA resources.

This way QA can spend some time focussing on the new content (and bug fixes) while the coders continue with the engine update.

And it gives us a chance to pick 1.0.5 apart while 1.1 is still is in development and QA.

All of which sounds very nice. Mass drivers now throw molten steel around!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.