[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I have a bug where I have to manually stage my Soyuz U rocket (from bobcats soviet mod), yes I have auto-stage turned on

Had the auto-staging in ascent ap on, found out that said autostaging was only active DURING ascent. Just also activate auto-staging in the utilities tab to get autostaging no matter the circumstance.

It's not a bug, it's a feature :) MJ tries to execute node ideally, but it correctly works only with crafts that are quick to turn. There is a tolerance option it maneuver planner, try setting it to 1 m/s, for example, so MJ won't try to execute maneuver THAT precisely.

Are you using engineer redux? I had same issue until it was updated some time ago. I also removed some of other mods since then and issue just disappeared, it may not be actually MJ's.

Thanks for reply. I have not used ER for quite some time. I have been 'pulling' mods and trying to see if I can track down which one is causing this problem. I fully agree that I doubt if it MJ that is the cause. I bet that MJ is just having problems due to some other mod, but I am hoping that maybe someone else has had same or maybe sarbian might have an idea of where to look.

Anyway, thanks for reply and I will keep digging, killing, restarting and looking...

Ok, I started with a fresh install of KSP 0.23 and MJ latest, build 147. I built my craft from scratch and put my MJ units on each sat and craft component as needed. Currently I am NOT using MM or any additional scripts.

I was able to get / keep control of vessels this time, but with the following error;

[LOG 05:50:51.650] [AutoSave]: Game Saved

[ERR 05:51:13.238] MechJeb caught exception in core OnSave: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnSave (.ConfigNode sfsNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERR 05:51:13.259] MechJeb module MechJebModuleThrustController threw an exception in Drive: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.CelestialBodyExtensions.RealMaxAtmosphereAltitude (.CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.VesselState.TerminalVelocity () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.TerminalVelocityThrottle () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[LOG 05:51:13.263] Focus changed! Forcing KISS2 to save

[LOG 05:51:28.032] RCS lock/unlock

[

Any thoughts as to what this is, might be, could be?????

Trying next with MM and then on....

EDIT. Nope did not work... MJ on sat that was deployed would not control any functions of sat. Had to turn Smart A.S.S. off and then could rotate, maneuver manually. Still problem.

Edited by drtedastro

Ok, I started with a fresh install of KSP 0.23 and MJ latest, build 147. I built my craft from scratch and put my MJ units on each sat and craft component as needed. Currently I am NOT using MM or any additional scripts.

I was able to get / keep control of vessels this time, but with the following error;

[LOG 05:50:51.650] [AutoSave]: Game Saved

[ERR 05:51:13.238] MechJeb caught exception in core OnSave: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.MechJebCore.OnSave (.ConfigNode sfsNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERR 05:51:13.259] MechJeb module MechJebModuleThrustController threw an exception in Drive: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MuMech.CelestialBodyExtensions.RealMaxAtmosphereAltitude (.CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.VesselState.TerminalVelocity () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.TerminalVelocityThrottle () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebModuleThrustController.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.Drive (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[LOG 05:51:13.263] Focus changed! Forcing KISS2 to save

[LOG 05:51:28.032] RCS lock/unlock

[

Here is the craft file if anyone want to see what is wrong.. thanks.

http://pastebin.com/s9tvMRJc

and here are a few images as well.

http://imgur.com/a/tEGt2

Edited by drtedastro

So just to confirm to a newbie here, I can no longer just install Mechjeb? I mean, I have did it like I used to into GameData and I see the Mechjeb Box during rocket creation, but I see no panels or mechjeb controls on launch.

I looked through the last few pages here, and people are saying you need a toolbar plugin? But once you have the toolbar plugin, you need another toolbar plugin for Mechjeb?

I have no idea what is going on :(

To people having my problem see this:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12384-PART-0-23-Anatid-Robotics-MuMech-MechJeb-Autopilot-v2-1-1?p=855806&viewfull=1#post855806

Edited by ronson49

Had the auto-staging in ascent ap on, found out that said autostaging was only active DURING ascent. Just also activate auto-staging in the utilities tab to get autostaging no matter the circumstance.

when you say during ascent, you mean just the Vertical Ascent part of launch?

Ok, one more entry on this problem i have been chasing. I built the carrier and sent it up without any sats. All ok.

I then launched a single sat, rendezvous and then docked. No NullException bombardment all the way to docking.

Now, Then I simply un-docked and boom, here they come.....NullReferenceExceptions, filling up the ksp.log and kept coming until I re-docked. Then they quit.

So, all was fine with the two individual vessels, UNTIL they docked for the first time and then back to the same Null behavior...

I have run out of ideas and debugging thoughts. Something about how 0.23 is treating / handling multiple instances of 'controlling' parts must / might be the cause.

Again, ANY help, thoughts or ideas would be great....

I can't get the new MechJeb toolbar to work for me. I put the toolbar driver for MechJeb in the MechJeb plugin folder (NOT THE KSP PLUGIN FOLDER), but still doesn't work. Had trouble in general getting the new toolbar to work. Had to install mods that use it one at a time to make them work, otherwise only one mod would show up on it if I installed all at once. MechJeb is the only one not working for me at this point.

I can't get the new MechJeb toolbar to work for me. I put the toolbar driver for MechJeb in the MechJeb plugin folder (NOT THE KSP PLUGIN FOLDER), but still doesn't work. Had trouble in general getting the new toolbar to work. Had to install mods that use it one at a time to make them work, otherwise only one mod would show up on it if I installed all at once. MechJeb is the only one not working for me at this point.

Try this: first, instal toolbar separately, download it from its own topic here on forum (it's actually only folder 000_Toolbar to be put in GameData, IIRC). When you install mods that include the same folder - get rid of it, you don't actually need to overwrite it each time. Folder MechJeb2 contained in MJ archive must be put also in GameData folder.

Then download Optional MechJeb Modules, remove 000_Toolbar from archive and install the rest. In the end of that topic should be link to new icons to replace stock ones, as I remember. This should get it working correctly.

r4m0n, is it possible to add feature of recalculation TWR for different celestial bodies in d-V window for SPH/VAB? This thingy is really needed, especially when building stuff that should land and ascent on specific planet/moon. Manually recalculating from Kerbin's g value to target's g value isn't that convenient :)

And maybe there is option to calculate TWR for "open space", like when I'm orbiting Sun, for example? Or it depends to position related to "parent" celestial body anyway?

Edited by Mystique

Try this: first, instal toolbar separately, download it from its own topic here on forum (it's actually only folder 000_Toolbar to be put in GameData, IIRC). When you install mods that include the same folder - get rid of it, you don't actually need to overwrite it each time. Folder MechJeb2 contained in MJ archive must be put also in GameData folder.

Then download Optional MechJeb Modules, remove 000_Toolbar from archive and install the rest. In the end of that topic should be link to new icons to replace stock ones, as I remember. This should get it working correctly.

My install is correct. I only ever had one 000_Toolbar folder in GameData folder, and it was from the toolbar mod itself, not from any of the mods that include it. I have the MechJeb toolbar driver in gamedata/mechjeb2/plugin folder. As I posted already the whole toolbar has been rather finicky for me. It may be something at my end, but after removing all mods and working with the toolbar mod, and those compatible with it only, I'm done for now. Things work well enough at this point. It may or may not be a problem on my end, but no longer important enough to figure out. I did notice though the toolbar mod updated today. Maybe I'll install the update and see what happens.

<clip>

Here is the craft file if anyone want to see what is wrong.. thanks.

http://pastebin.com/s9tvMRJc

and here are a few images as well.

http://imgur.com/a/tEGt2

Those 1-to-many adapters apparently have numbered positions. I ran into that with this project. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51115-Ship-to-ship-kinetic-energy-transfer-test-report

I had to sort out which order they went in and arrange the decouplers and engines to match so they'd come off and activate the engines correctly.

sounds familiar but I'm not sure ai remember what I did to fix it when it happened to me...

some things to look at

try adjusting Td?

maybe too much torque so disable either SAS or OKTO torque...

was there RCS? if so disable smart RCS.

toggle capslock...

Just tossing this out here, is there any way MJ can detect that an engine has been thrust limited and adjust it's throttle settings appropriately?

It already use the thrust limit tweakable

sounds familiar but I'm not sure ai remember what I did to fix it when it happened to me...

some things to look at

try adjusting Td?

maybe too much torque so disable either SAS or OKTO torque...

was there RCS? if so disable smart RCS.

toggle capslock...

Disable the OKTO2 reaction wheels and it still just wobbles around. Disable the Inline SAS torque, with the OKTO2 enabled and it won't rotate at all. It worked fine in .22 with earlier versions of MechJeb. Dunno when it quit, I've been experimenting with an Eve landing and return program while waiting for the Duna return window.

Try right-clicking on the probe body and selecting 'control from here'. Hold on, let me explain.

I had the same problem last night, and here's what caused it: I was launching some small mapsats from a shuttle cargo bay. During construction, I had created the mapsat as a sub-assembly so that I could put several of them into the cargo bay, mounted to clamp-o-tron jr.'s via small decouplers. Here's the trick: in order to create the sub-assembly in a way to make it attach to the docking port properly, I had to make the DECOUPLER the 'root part'. It would be the same if you wanted to 'alt-click' to copy the assembly too. So, up goes the shuttle, open the bay doors, activate the first satellite decoupler by staging, and it launches fine. Switch to the satellite, tell it to aim prograde, force roll 0 deg. Nothin', it just sits there wobbling. It won't respond to manual 'stick' (keyboard) inputs either, I have no pitch, roll or yaw. On a whim, I selected 'control from here' on the probe body, and huzzah! It now responds properly to commands. So it looks like when you decouple a small craft from the main ship, if that small craft's 'command pod' part wasn't the root part during its original construction, control does not automatically switch to that part. At least, that's the conclusion I've reached. I don't know if this is a quirk of the game or of MechJeb, but it doesn't matter that much to me, it's an easy enough problem to solve.

So anyway, I hope this info helps. :)

Hey, something I just noticed in the landing autopilot. It seems to be reproduceable with multiple different ships and in different situations. If I have all the onboard reaction wheels turned off when I activate the landing autopilot in "land at target" mode (haven't tried it in "land somewhere" mode), and then realize, "oh yeah, it's not turning because there's nothing to turn WITH," and turn on my RCS, it doesn't recognize it and just sits there petulantly. I have to shut off the landing autopilot and restart it again with RCS on *before* activating it for it to work. (I'm doing this with FASA-based ships, where you want to turn off the reaction wheels to preserve capsule monopropellant for re-entry, but it also was true when I did it with the default pod before having solar arrays, so needing to preserve my batteries.)