Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

According to the wiki page on Laythe:

"At the equator, sea level temperatures vary between a nighttime low of 9 °C and a daytime high of 15 °C. Mid-latitudes are only slightly cooler than the equatorial zone — at latitudes below 63°, the sea level temperature never drops below 0 °C."

Seems fairly consistent with the low-salinity theory to me :wink:

Edited by Deddly
Clarification

2 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

Would you be averse to 'discovering' that Laythe's oceans are full of ... 'hydrazine'?  :wink:

Well, some people claim there's plenty of ammonia on Laythe (and that explains reducing both density and freezing temperature of water). And with plenty of NH3 there could be quite some N2H4 as well.

Yeah, we found hydrazine. Unfortunately, it's actual hydrazine.

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

Laythe does has ice at the poles, doesn't it? Or at least...it used to.

Whoops!  You're right.  I had to look twice--given that they had holes in them, I had mistaken the ice caps for landmasses with lakes.

Still, no salinity doesn't explain what's going on above 63 deg. latitude--and it is important to note that the sea-level temperature may not necessarily be the same as the sea temperature.  Someone will have to send a mission to check.

... Oh.  Right. :P

2 minutes ago, Zhetaan said:

Still, no salinity doesn't explain what's going on above 63 deg. latitude--and it is important to note that the sea-level temperature may not necessarily be the same as the sea temperature.  Someone will have to send a mission to check.

... Oh.  Right. :P

I'll get a temp reading before Bob and Tedus leave the surface! Though I am not sure about getting to the polar regions. No way the Skimmeroo carries enough oxidant to plane change from equatorial orbit, land above 63 deg, get back to orbit and plane change AGAIN to get back to the ship. Might work better to enter equatorial, fly north on jets, land, fly back to equator and orbit from there...but I doubt I could do all that without burning up too much LF to reach space. So that's a question I will have to answer on another mission...

unless... ooh! I think i might have an idea!

Or should I say... 'ooh rah'? :D 

12 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I'll get a temp reading before Bob and Tedus leave the surface! Though I am not sure about getting to the polar regions. No way the Skimmeroo carries enough oxidant to plane change from equatorial orbit, land above 63 deg, get back to orbit and plane change AGAIN to get back to the ship. Might work better to enter equatorial, fly north on jets, land, fly back to equator and orbit from there...but I doubt I could do all that without burning up too much LF to reach space. So that's a question I will have to answer on another mission...

unless... ooh! I think i might have an idea!

Or should I say... 'ooh rah'? :D 

Go big - go Elcano... :)

7 minutes ago, KSK said:

Go big - go Elcano... :)

Um... well if I just said I don't have the fuel to fly there, I certainly am not going to go by jetboat...

13 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

Oh, you're gonna swim there, like the SEALs? :P

...and I'm pretty sure the rover is not going to work...

8 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yes!!!  I think I know where your going with this.... do it!!!   :cool:

...hm, you seem very excited about this so I hope you're not disappointed when I say that by "ooh rah" I meant, "have Sarge shoot the remaining Jooldiver into the polar region, since it's fully rated for atmospheric entry and landing and there really isn't anything else foreseeable we can use it for."

1 minute ago, Kuzzter said:

...hm, you seem very excited about this so I hope you're not disappointed when I say that by "ooh rah" I meant, "have Sarge shoot the remaining Jooldiver into the polar region, since it's fully rated for atmospheric entry and landing and there really isn't anything else foreseeable we can use it for."

I was hoping for something like that...  I like Sarge!  Too bad he can't fly down himself...  :cool:

4 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I think you misunderstood me. I meant swim, like with your arms and legs. :D

1 minute ago, Zhetaan said:

Nothing says that surface mobility requires that it be a land surface.

The trouble with both of these ideas is that the mission spec calls for a temperature reading--which means we have to get a 2HOT Thermometer up there, crewed or otherwise. You know the available craft: Skimmeroo can't reach, Qwammer would be VERY high risk, and the rover can't swim. A solo Kerbal--swimming or otherwise--would just be a waste of time :) 

Hide contents

If the Jooldiver only had a seat, I could loan Sarge my hat to wave as he rode it down. But wouldn't that be a terrible waste?

15 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

More times than I can count...  Only thing missing in the Kerbal version is @Kuzzter's hat  :)

But the Jooldiver doesn't have a seat, so I think it's no spoiler if I say that I do not plan to make that scene (or any other part of Dr. Strangelove) relevant to this Mission Report any time soon :wink: 

4 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

But the Jooldiver doesn't have a seat, so I think it's no spoiler if I say that I do not plan to make that scene (or any other part of Dr. Strangelove) relevant to this Mission Report any time soon :wink: 

No, don't want to do that to Sarge... he may be tough, but... well... :wink:

All right, science update! Skimmeroo is beyond this point in gameplay, but I loaded up some of the quicksaves to get us some 2HOT readings. 

Here they are immediately after landing, several hundred meters offshore. Position is shown in the KE window. Note that I had to wait several minutes for the reading to settle, when I loaded the save it was at about 260K but was climbing rapidly, settling near 286. (13C)

Spoiler

DI0LJQa.png

And here's the reading with the ship landed and Bob still stuck in the science bay. Again it took a little while to settle: the reading when I first loaded the quicksave was just above 295K.

Spoiler

OzfLAfI.png

So, it seems that at least as of 1.1.3 the wiki is correct--daytime water temperature near the equator about 13C at sea level, daytime air temperature 20C. Comic update later, and more temperature readings a bit after that :) 

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

All right, science update! Skimmeroo is beyond this point in gameplay, but I loaded up some of the quicksaves to get us some 2HOT readings. 

Oh, good, it looks like both of those readings are in the shade. That's some proper science right there.

Now we get to confirm or reject our hypotheses, fun!

9yOvOMg.png

kS9DBSF.png

uheumkx.png

UWiXa2e.png

Looks like @Deddly called it!

On 12/5/2016 at 3:05 AM, Deddly said:

I speculate that it will still be able to take off. Those rapiers have an incredible amount of thrust for a ship that size, and Tedus might be able force a dive underwater and pop back up like a cork, switching modes on the engines at just the right time.

Right after landing the Skimmeroo but before posting the comic where that happened, I tried a bunch of ways to lift off (in "simulation" mode, naturally :)). This was the only one that worked. Going to rocket mode does get the ship going about seventy, but the intakes seem to fall off before I can get the nose up. I actually hit on the "dive and breach" method somewhat accidentally--I had been poking the nose down to try and get the trailing edges of the wings out of the water for more speed, hit "W" a little to hard and went under. On noticing how it popped back up, on the next attempt I did it on purpose and it worked :D Once I knew I could get off Laythe, I reloaded the "landed" quicksave and played it all through pretty much as you saw in the comic.

Okay then... assuming Bob and Tedus get back to orbit (SPOILER: they do) and reach Intrepid (NOT A SPOILER: I haven't done that yet, but they have 800dV left in the tank so yeah), then I will have successfully put crew on the surface of every Joolian moon and returned them to the carrier--leaving nothing behind other than flags, footprints, some gaseous products of combustion, and Clauselle's kpad. Even Tylo was an ISRU/SSTO. I feel pretty darn good about that :)