Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey-CHAPTER 21 pg 18--He's a docking wizard! (there had to be a twist?)

Mister Dilsby

6 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Nope.  It was always a mirror version.

Though I recall the great @GregroxMun did indeed release an inverted map version of Earth. :) 

And moving things right along... I gotta tell you, this was FUN!

yxNYXW0.png

qnRlZX6.png

VuqnJET.png

Ohhhh YEAH! So you might be asking why Enterprise had to go to flank speed, and the answer is that otherwise the plane just can't get enough velocity to lift off, and it just pitches off the deck into the sea! So the procedure is to max the ship's engines along with the plane's, get her up to about 50 m/s (yup, that's 97 knots for those of you keeping score at home!) then undock the plane, switch over to it, and lift off!

Unfortunately this means Enterprise continues blithely steaming along at ~100 knots until I can land the plane and switch back to her... hopefully she won't run out of ocean before then!

Ha ha! A UFP! Unidentified Flying Pastry! 

Go Gene! 

Also, requesting permission to send 2 terror class warships to Kerbulus to drop Nuclear bombs improvised nukes using RTG's? I really need to blow somebody up! 

Edit: two things:

One, what are the dimensions of the KSS intrepid? I want to try and build a cruiser that fits intrepid INSIDE it.

Two, Leonard reminds me of a piggy from a movie I watched last week... 

Edited by max_creative

32 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Pretty nice launch technique. :) The US Navy actually does something similar from what I understand.

Yeah, I am not sure for today's launch sequences but at least during WW2 they turned their flight decks to the direction of the wind and accelerated to a certain speed so the aircraft could take of much easier. Same procedure for landing. It is all about reducing relative speed if your runway is limited. During that time the landing and take off strip essentially were the same, meaning a failed landing could potentially destroy dozens of fighters.

Today the aircraft carrier design has changed. The take off section is oriented parallel to the pointing vector of the vessel. The landing strip has a certain angle to the pointing vector - so if a landing fails the aircraft will fall into the water and not damage anything else. In the aft section of a carrier the planes are prepared for storage/take off. There are, however, different launch techniques. Including catapults used by the US Navy and ramps used by various other nations...

As for the design of the Enterprise in the panels above, we clearly see a WW2 era carrier. Knowing that, we can state that Kerbulus and Kerbin probably have about the same level of technology, assuming a similar development from that point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_carrier

Leonard.... Nichelle.... Jimmy.... Walter... even a cheesy Russian accent!!!   OMG.... too funny!!!  
But am I the first one to get the joke???  :D

Outstanding, once again!!!

Edited by Just Jim

2 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Leonard.... Walter... even a cheesy Russian accent!!!   OMG.... too funny!!!  b

I... get.... the joke... But shouldn't it be..... William.... in command.... of the Enterprise?

Either way, the laughing still made me get another round of really weird, disapproving looks from other denizens of my cube farm. 

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

Though I recall the great @GregroxMun did indeed release an inverted map version of Earth. :) 

Yep, it's called Antichthon

t2wupZy.png

cW0a51H.png

E7I6DvT.png

It's the Real Solar System's version of Kerbulus.

Top notch comic today btw. I love the Star Trek cast reference.

Edited by GregroxMun

1 minute ago, GregroxMun said:

Yep, it's called Antichthon

It's the Real Solar System's version of Kerbulus.

Top notch comic today btw. I love the Star Trek cast reference.

Huh... In that last pic I can see where my house would be on an inverted Earth... What's Africa look like?

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Leonard.... Nichelle.... Jimmy.... Walter... even a cheesy Russian accent!!!   OMG.... too funny!!!  

Nah, the NuKleaR Wessels scene is way too funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSJFrhb-HM&spfreload=10

Edited by something

I love the Star Trek references.  Every since I saw the Enterprise, I hoped you would make a joke like that, but then you made all of them!

2 hours ago, Torgo said:

I... get.... the joke... But shouldn't it be..... William.... in command.... of the Enterprise?

Either way, the laughing still made me get another round of really weird, disapproving looks from other denizens of my cube farm. 

Surely you wouldn't doubt the true commander of the Enterprise.

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

If we're not careful, Kuzzter's next interlude is going to be Spaceplane! and introduce us to Ted, Elaine and Otto Kerman. 

4 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

And moving things right along... I gotta tell you, this was FUN!

When Jimmy said "Och, surely she canna tack much more of this," Captin Shirley should have said "Just do it, Jimmy! And it's Captin!" :wink:

43 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

I'm curious... Have you tried to land the plane back on the carrier? That's a gif I'd like to see... :D

I'll make an attempt, yes and post the inevitable fail pics. The plane has no airbrakes. I suppose I'll have to get Enterprise steaming at 50 m/s and hope for the best!

34 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Two reasons not to: one, the Shat is such a yuuuuuge personality he'd just take up too much space and focus from the story I want to tell. I can use the other characters as a one-off gag, but put him in the captin's chair and it becomes a whole new meme.

Second, I'd want to call him 'Bill', and that name's taken :)

30 minutes ago, Torgo said:

If we're not careful, Kuzzter's next interlude is going to be Spaceplane! and introduce us to Ted, Elaine and Otto Kerman. 

Oh my yes, someone should do that. it'd get all the rep!

24 minutes ago, rlin said:

When Jimmy said "Och, surely she canna tack much more of this," Captin Shirley should have said "Just do it, Jimmy! And it's Captin!" :wink:

Of course I considered that, but decided that it would clutter the panel, and the joke would be implied anyway (after all, you got it didn't you? :))  

And besides, the senior officers of ships called Enterprise have traditionally been on a first-name basis with the Captain, and maybe Shirley Kerman was a bit more relaxed before she became a flag officer :wink:

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

I'll make an attempt, yes and post the inevitable fail pics. The plane has no airbrakes. I suppose I'll have to get Enterprise steaming at 50 m/s and hope for the best!

No airbrakes, but you do have the most powerful reverse thrust ever devised.

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

The big problem you'll have is there is no KSP equivalent to a tail hook and wire setup, at least that I know of.  Maybe in a mod...

2 hours ago, Kuzzter said:

Two reasons not to: one, the Shat is such a yuuuuuge personality he'd just take up too much space and focus from the story I want to tell. I can use the other characters as a one-off gag, but put him in the captin's chair and it becomes a whole new meme.

Second, I'd want to call him 'Bill', and that name's taken :)

I like that you left him out, the joke was much more subtle that way.  And I agree, some people might get really confused if you called him Bill.

So, small glitch people--and I suppose this is a bit of a spoiler also, but we all knew Gene was headed that way so...

Spoiler

gIkc9iC.png

See those goofy things attached to the gear? Yeah, they're ruining all my pictures for the next update :( I started a thread over in Tech Support to ask about it; if anyone's interested in trying to duplicate/debug the issue that's the place to go! 

Don't worry, if there's no easy solution for the problem I'll just do my best to work around it, I won't wait for 1.1.4 before I move the story forward :)