[1.3.1] Pood's OPM-VO (Outer Planets Mod - Visual Overhaul) [v0.3.5] [2017-09-23]

Poodmund

Hello Poodmund

I found your mod a few weeks ago and it looks very nice. I like the actual style. As you asked in your first post and wasmic stated this

On 20.1.2016 at 8:59 PM, wasmic said:

...... And by the way, texture number three is the prettiest for Neidon, although 1, 2, and 5 could also be really great. Number 4 is too cartoony with those wiggly lines, and 6, 7, and 8 just look weird to me....

in my eyes Texture 2 looks best. 1 is fine and 3 is not so interresting to look at as 2 is, I think. Texture number 5 is also cool.

On 20.1.2016 at 9:41 PM, Poodmund said:

...... my old Tekto used to look like this:

CJQMFP4.png

... using Eleusis La Arwall's configs for AVP-Interstellar and I would like to get some thick, fuzzy atmosphere back but it is difficult to achieve now with the new EVE format. I have some ideas though.

What about increasing the cloud coverage to 80% or 90% so that you can have a look at the surface from time to time when in orbit. And then adding your great looking storm system. Tekto has low gravity and a thick atmosphere afaik, so a big stormsystem could fit to the OPM style.

Great work and thanks for sharing this mod.

Edited by Dante Montana

Thanks for your feedback. I am currently working on preparing a v0.1.3 release... here's a sneak peak of Sarnus.

Please ignore the rings not rendering correctly at this time. This is an issue (I think) with Scatterer where the rings pass behind the planet and also appear lit in the planet's shadow.

cant get it to work as the newest eve and scatter cause black sky and the visual over haul here gives me this consstant error.

which version of scatter and eve do u recommend to use to usse your cloud mod?

[EXC 12:01:29.017] NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Component.get_transform ()
    CelestialShadows.ShadowProjector.UpdatePos (Vector3 position)
    CelestialShadows.ShadowManager.Update ()

18 minutes ago, sidfu said:

cant get it to work as the newest eve and scatter cause black sky and the visual over haul here gives me this consstant error.

which version of scatter and eve do u recommend to use to usse your cloud mod?

[EXC 12:01:29.017] NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Component.get_transform ()
    CelestialShadows.ShadowProjector.UpdatePos (Vector3 position)
    CelestialShadows.ShadowManager.Update ()

For my dev build I am using blackrack's latest release build and also the updated .dll files that he has been posting in the Scatterer thread since then. The updated Scatterer files should not make this mod 'work', they will only fix minor visual bugs. As far as EVE is concerned, I would use rbray89's latest dev build from the GitHub repository. Looking at that NulRef, am I safe to say that you are also using another visual pack mod?

In other news...

I whipped this up yesterday in time for the next build release. Please ignore the rings not rendering in front of the planet or the lack of shadow projected over the rings behind Sarnus/Urlum, this is due to Scatterer and 'Blackrack' is aware of this issue. I am not great at making videos or anything like this but I just wanted to capture some raw game footage to stick in the OP as it is a bit barebones at the moment when considering the latest 'looks' of the visual pack.

v0.1.3 will be coming soon and will 'probably' be the last pre-release... then on to v1.0.0! :D

no other visual mode but for eve and scatter. that error only shows up with your mod installed. ill thry the newest git hub ones to see if that helps it work.

update

was able to fix that error. have to use the master version on git that was updated 12 days ago or u get that error. fixed the black sky issue it seems to be a issue with the layers set for sccatter i used  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v002182-24122015-ocean-shaders-get-them-while-theyre-hot/&page=121

.cft thats posted close to bottom of it and black sky is gone.

Edited by sidfu

On 1/28/2016 at 6:40 PM, sidfu said:

was able to fix that error. have to use the master version on git that was updated 12 days ago or u get that error. fixed the black sky issue it seems to be a issue with the layers set for sccatter i used  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/103963-wip-scatterer-atmospheric-scattering-v002182-24122015-ocean-shaders-get-them-while-theyre-hot/&page=121

.cft thats posted close to bottom of it and black sky is gone.

I am glad you were able to fix it. I hope you like traversing the OPM system now with these visuals! :D

1 hour ago, justspace103 said:

These textures look astonishing!

have you considered creating textures for the stock planets as well?

Honestly there are a few packs out there that do a terrific job at giving the stock planets great visuals such as the stock EVE Configs, SVE and KSPRC. @MrMeeb is also in the process of reincarnating Astronomer's Visual Pack for the new EVE builds; because of this, I do not feel that spending time working on the stock planets is beneficial. However, again, I cannot recommend the aforementioned packs enough.

34 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Honestly there are a few packs out there that do a terrific job at giving the stock planets great visuals such as the stock EVE Configs, SVE and KSPRC. @MrMeeb is also in the process of reincarnating Astronomer's Visual Pack for the new EVE builds; because of this, I do not feel that spending time working on the stock planets is beneficial. However, again, I cannot recommend the aforementioned packs enough.

thank you for the recommendations. but seriously, these look awesome:D

19 hours ago, majestique said:

Somehow, my Tekto is always without clouds, tried different versions of your mod. Any ideas why?

Responded to your PM. :D

14 hours ago, sDaZe said:

I have been really busy so I haven't got your video finished. But i have started, here are some pics. 

Sorry I dont know how to make a alblum :( 

No worries man! :D I'm just glad to see you're enjoying it. To make an Imgur album, click the 'i' button on the furthest right side of the WYSIWYG editor panel and then add the album ID string into the text field.

In other news, the EVE dev build has updated to fix the clouds disappearing which is great. Maybe this weekend I can get some solid work done to prep for release. (Pssst! There was a silent release a few days ago of v0.1.3 over on the GitHub page. If you want to play around with it be my guest but not much was changed and it mostly added compatibility with some over in development mods. Be careful using it as it may break things)

• 1 month later...

Hey - I just installed the mod - gas giants look terrific! Great work!
But unluckily, I have the same issue as davidy12 and Skykid23 - atmosphere on Thatmo and Tekto do not work :/

I am using KSP on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, reinstalled several times all mods and then tried on clear install but still nothing...

Amazing! Great work, blackrack! Unfortunately I will not be progressing with this until 1.1 is released and then will be looking to update each mod aspect as they update to 1.1 also. However, I will be sure to sort out Scatterer as a priority. :D

Looking how the rings render slightly through the atmosphere, they used to do this with EVE also anyway. :/

Edited by Poodmund

3 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Amazing! Great work, blackrack! Unfortunately I will not be progressing with this until 1.1 is released and then will be looking to update each mod aspect as they update to 1.1 also. However, I will be sure to sort out Scatterer as a priority. :D

Looking how the rings render slightly through the atmosphere, they used to do this with EVE also anyway. :/

Yes, it's a limitation with the rendering of transparent objects.

However, a while back I was experimenting on making my own, custom ring shader

http://i.imgur.com/b0UR1Xc.png

http://i.imgur.com/0BkSC62.png

That was still a very early prototype (note it handles shadowing natively), but if I go back and finish it, it will render correctly through the atmo. It may also be possible to make the ring render it's shadows on the atmosphere/planet surface.

12 hours ago, blackrack said:

That was still a very early prototype (note it handles shadowing natively), but if I go back and finish it, it will render correctly through the atmo. It may also be possible to make the ring render it's shadows on the atmosphere/planet surface.

That looks promising. Its worth noting that Saturn's rings are around 1km-10m thick if that makes any difference to how translucent the ring shadow should be. I'm sure you've seen this but Cassini took this photo of Saturn showing Ring Shadow and rings in shadow behind Saturn:

Backlit_Saturn_from_Cassini_Orbiter_2007

59 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

That looks promising. Its worth noting that Saturn's rings are around 1km-10m thick if that makes any difference to how translucent the ring shadow should be. I'm sure you've seen this but Cassini took this photo of Saturn showing Ring Shadow and rings in shadow behind Saturn

I'm thinking the ring shadow translucency could be taken directly from the ring texture alpha value.

Edited by blackrack

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2016 at 3:34 PM, VASMIR said:

Would it be possible to have a config where Tekto is pretty much covered in clouds(IRL Titan) instead of the clouds presented in the normal release?

This was discussed back on Page 2 and I posted that in my opinion, to have Tekto appearing as Titan does it would be pretty bland and boring. However, the thought was that maybe it would be better to thicken the cloud layers up and create a more masked surface. Maybe.

Anywho, at this stage as said above I am delaying work on this until 1.1 has been released and the various mods that this pack utilises have been updated too. Don't fret though, I am still fully behind this project. :D

On 3/10/2016 at 10:34 PM, blackrack said:

Very nice!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2016 at 8:02 AM, quarrion said:

Hey - I just installed the mod - gas giants look terrific! Great work!
But unluckily, I have the same issue as davidy12 and Skykid23 - atmosphere on Thatmo and Tekto do not work :/

I am using KSP on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, reinstalled several times all mods and then tried on clear install but still nothing...

On 2/2/2016 at 4:23 PM, majestique said:

Somehow, my Tekto is always without clouds, tried different versions of your mod. Any ideas why?

It sounds like you might want to make this a FAQ or something, because I have the exact same issue. Using the latest version of EVE and Scatterer, no other visual mods installed. 

15 hours ago, TheSaint said:

It sounds like you might want to make this a FAQ or something, because I have the exact same issue. Using the latest version of EVE and Scatterer, no other visual mods installed. 

Could you please boot up KSP, go to the Tracking Center, switch to a ship in an orbit around Tekto... wait for any cloud layers to appear (or not), switch back to the Tracking Center and quit KSP?

Once that is done, can you then immediately upload your KSP.log file so that I could take a look through it to see if I can spot why it is not working. @majestique and I discussed this issue through PMs and sometimes it randomly worked and sometimes did not. We didn't really get to the bottom of it.

11 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Could you please boot up KSP, go to the Tracking Center, switch to a ship in an orbit around Tekto... wait for any cloud layers to appear (or not), switch back to the Tracking Center and quit KSP?

Once that is done, can you then immediately upload your KSP.log file so that I could take a look through it to see if I can spot why it is not working. @majestique and I discussed this issue through PMs and sometimes it randomly worked and sometimes did not. We didn't really get to the bottom of it.

Okay, opened an issue on your Github and attached the log file to it.