Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

@Joco223 Wow thanks for your really fast reply and sharing cfgs! I was also thinking something like 1.8-1.9 with atmosphere just like you told and also downloaded that SmallSun from your dropbox link.

I'm trying to keep additional part mods very minimalistic atm but i mainly use Hangar Extender, TweakScale & All procedural parts (fairings, Wings & Tanks) to help with big rockets. Also i like all NecroBones part mods too much to playi without. Especially SpaceY with Expanded and latest Real Scale Boosters is currently under heavy stresstest :D Need to check out also that SMURFF what u mentioned. I really appreciate your time and tips!

Edited by Murdox

@Murdox You will really like SMURFF, since it reduces tank mass and increases engines power. You won't need gigantic rockets just to send a Kerbal to Mun :) Also, install Real Heat because without it you will probably burn up on reentry even with a heat shiled.

PS: Real Scale Boosters are not affected by SMURFF

Link to SMURFF: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/117992-104-5-smurff-simple-module-adjustments-for-real-ish-fuel-mass-fractions-121-2015-feb-02/

If you need any other help just message me ;)

32 minutes ago, Templar Knight said:

So I am trying to set up a 3.2 scale game, but I am not sure what I should set my atmosphere scale to be.  I am kinda thinking i should set it to 1.16, but I am not sure.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've never played with 3.2 but I think 6.4 used 1.32 atmosphere so 1.16 sounds ok for a 3.2 radius

6 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

they should be rescaled, but last time I checked there was a problem in RSS and the rings were too small :)

try to set CustomRingSize = 1

Hmm didnt work, ill look into it. I also seem to hit the water or ground before the parachute even have time to open, Is the atmosphere not extending far enough? I used the setting that you told me to use

Edited by sDaZe

4 hours ago, sDaZe said:

Hmm didnt work, ill look into it. I also seem to hit the water or ground before the parachute even have time to open, Is the atmosphere not extending far enough? I used the setting that you told me to use

I have no idea of how rss atmosphere works

You will probably need to test different values for it

Edited by Sigma88

Since it might be useful for people considering doing a 6.4x rescale playthrough, here's the config values I settled on for my own career/aar, which I arrived at after many hours of testing to find a good balance for Sigma Dimensions and SMURFF:

Sigma Dimensions

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 6.4
	Rescale = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.285
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	landscape = 0.25
	atmoVisualEffect = 1
	resizeScatter = 1
	CustomSoISize = 0
	CustomRingSize = 0
	atmoASL = 1
	tempASL = 1
}

SMURFF

tanklever = 0.5
enginelever = 0.5
podlever = 0.5

These values give you an atmosphere height of approximately 90 km, a decent terrain scaling height, and (for SMURFF) mass ratios similar to real life rockets, which actually lets you launch just a little bit more payload per ton of rocket than on a normal sized Kerbin.

Playing around with it, I've found that delta-v needed to get to a 100 km x 100 km low Kerbin orbit is between 6500 to 7000 m/s. Not sure how the values compare without FAR, but I imagine that they'll be clustered closer towards 7000 m/s than to 6500 m/s. Launches take about twice as long as on stock scale Kerbin. You'll want to start your gravity turn pretty early, but don't take it too aggressively. Orbital velocity is something like 5200 m/s.

Doing a return from LKO, aeroheating starts between 60 km and 70 km up, and lasts until around 30 km. You'll want to stick tightly to the retrograde marker to reduce heating of non-heatshield parts, and don't skimp on that ablator. Note that for most of the heating regime, you'll still be going over 4 km/s. Speed rapidly starts dropping once you get below about 35 km, and I've found that by the time I hit 20 km, I'm going slow enough to deploy chutes.

Edited by GreenWolf

1 hour ago, GreenWolf said:

Since it might be useful for people considering doing a 6.4x rescale playthrough, here's the config values I settled on for my own career/aar, which I arrived at after many hours of testing to find a good balance for Sigma Dimensions and SMURFF:

Sigma Dimensions

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 6.4
	Rescale = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.285
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	landscape = 0.7
	atmoVisualEffect = 1.285
	resizeScatter = 1
	CustomSoISize = 0
	CustomRingSize = 0
	atmoASL = 1
	tempASL = 1
}

SMURFF

tanklever = 0.5
enginelever = 0.5
podlever = 0.5

These values give you an atmosphere height of approximately 90 km, a decent terrain scaling height, and (for SMURFF) mass ratios similar to real life rockets, which actually lets you launch just a little bit more payload per ton of rocket than on a normal sized Kerbin.

Playing around with it, I've found that delta-v needed to get to a 100 km x 100 km low Kerbin orbit is between 6500 to 7000 m/s. Not sure how the values compare without FAR, but I imagine that they'll be clustered closer towards 7000 m/s than to 6500 m/s. Launches take about twice as long as on stock scale Kerbin. You'll want to start your gravity turn pretty early, but don't take it too aggressively. Orbital velocity is something like 4500 m/s.

Doing a return from LKO, aeroheating starts between 60 km and 70 km up, and lasts until around 30 km. You'll want to stick tightly to the retrograde marker to reduce heating of non-heatshield parts, and don't skimp on that ablator. Note that for most of the heating regime, you'll still be going over 4 km/s. Speed rapidly starts dropping once you get below about 35 km, and I've found that by the time I hit 20 km, I'm going slow enough to deploy chutes.

Thank you for the feedback

I have a handful of questions for you:

1- why did you chose SigmaDimensions over 64k?

2- is there any feature in 64k that you feel is missing in Dimensions?

3- why did you change the atmovisual effect?

To expand on the last one:

The atmospheric visuals are automatically scaled by the Atmosphere parameter, so if you leave atmoVisualEffect = 1 you will get an effect rescaled by 1.285 (your Atmosphere value)

By changing atmoVisualEffect to 1.285 you actually get a total multiplier of 1.285*1.285 = 1.651

Did you do that on purpose because the atmosphere looked too low?

10 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Thank you for the feedback

I have a handful of questions for you:

1- why did you chose SigmaDimensions over 64k?

2- is there any feature in 64k that you feel is missing in Dimensions?

3- why did you change the atmovisual effect?

To expand on the last one:

The atmospheric visuals are automatically scaled by the Atmosphere parameter, so if you leave atmoVisualEffect = 1 you will get an effect rescaled by 1.285 (your Atmosphere value)

By changing atmoVisualEffect to 1.285 you actually get a total multiplier of 1.285*1.285 = 1.651

Did you do that on purpose because the atmosphere looked too low?

1. 64k looks to be dead in the water, development wise, seeing as the last update was back in August. Additionally, it does some things I don't want (adding additional KSCs, mainly) and isn't as fully featured/customizable as Dimensions. (Also, spiky terrain.)

2. Only thing I can think of is automatic remote tech scaling (unless that is implemented and I managed to miss the ranges getting hith with two 6.4x multipliers in my testing), although not a big deal since RT comes with a config option to increase ranges by a constant multiplier.

3. I actually goofed there. I thought that atmosphere visual effect scaled independently of the atmosphere height, so I just set them to the same thing. (I also wonder if this might be the root cause of the weird "Cannot warp while under acceleration" bug I've been encountering in orbit, or if that's just down to Weird Mod Interaction or even just Weird KSP Bugs.)

I do have one question though: Does EVE cloud height scale with atmosphere height or atmosphere visual effect. What I've seen in this thread leads me to believe it scales directly with atmosphere, but I'm not confident in that assumption now.

Also, just a heads up that rescaling appears to mess with the tidal locking of Ike to Duna (although resonace frequencies of Jool's moons appear unchanged). Ended up installing Sigma Binary (great mod, btw) to deal with it, since I do enjoy tidal locks, but figured you might want to know.

10 minutes ago, GreenWolf said:

3. I actually goofed there. I thought that atmosphere visual effect scaled independently of the atmosphere height, so I just set them to the same thing. (I also wonder if this might be the root cause of the weird "Cannot warp while under acceleration" bug I've been encountering in orbit, or if that's just down to Weird Mod Interaction or even just Weird KSP Bugs.)

yeah I kinda guessed that was the reason :)

11 minutes ago, GreenWolf said:

I do have one question though: Does EVE cloud height scale with atmosphere height or atmosphere visual effect. What I've seen in this thread leads me to believe it scales directly with atmosphere, but I'm not confident in that assumption now.

"altitude" > scales with Resize (Since we don't want clouds to clip through the terrain)

while

"size" and "area" (from layerVolume) scale with "Atmosphere"

this way 1) the clouds from space never clip with the terrain and  2) the volumetric clouds will look more or less dense when you use higher or lower Atmosphere parameters

16 minutes ago, GreenWolf said:

Also, just a heads up that rescaling appears to mess with the tidal locking of Ike to Duna (although resonace frequencies of Jool's moons appear unchanged). Ended up installing Sigma Binary (great mod, btw) to deal with it, since I do enjoy tidal locks, but figured you might want to know.

Ike should always remain tidally locked to Duna, what can probably go wrong is the tidal looking of Duna to Ike. meaning that ike will always show the same face to duna, but duna will not show always the same face to ike (kinda like earth-moon)

this is because Duna rotation period is multiplied by "dayLenghtMultiplier" which you have set to 1

while Ike rotation period is locked to it's orbital period, which is multiplied by sqrt( Rescale^3 / Resize^2 )

so you can either set dayLenghtMultiplier = 2.5298221281347034655991148355462 for the whole system or you can follow the instructions for Planet specific changes and change only Duna's dayLenghtMultiplier to 2.5298221281347034655991148355462

16 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

Will this edit mods like KER and Mechjeb to make them work with the new sizes?

11 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

@Laythe Dweller It doesnt change them at all. They don't even need to change it because MJ and KER use information provided from the game and will work in any scale. Because of that, MJ and KER don't need specific patches for RSS, 64k,... :)

what joco said :)

It's worth to note that it doesn't affect RemoteTech antenna ranges, so you need to change that on your own

I plan to add this in the next release tho (idk how I could forget to include it already to be honest :D )

Edited by Sigma88

5 minutes ago, Laythe Dweller said:

Okay, that settles it for me! I'm so getting this! One more question though: Will it adjust clouds and visual enhancements from mods and does it compromise HD planet textures to make them look stretched?

there is no "stretching" involved since the rescale maintains the proportions, and yes EVE clouds are rescaled as well (only for the mods that use the new EVE config structure)

I'm having a lot of the same problems as reported earlier in this mod's development: 

-Bunch of MM errors at launch

-Planets not rescaled

I have OPM installed, but I made sure to re-install Kopernicus.

Settings:

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
 Resize = 10
 Rescale = 10
 Atmosphere = 1.857
 dayLengthMultiplier = 4
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
 geeASLmultiplier = 1
 landscape = 1
 atmoVisualEffect = 1.857
 resizeScatter = 1
 CustomSoISize = 0
 CustomRingSize = 0
 atmoASL = 1
 tempASL = 1
}

KSP_log error:

(Filename:  Line: -1)

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[StarComponent] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[StarComponent] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Kopernicus.StarLightSwitcher.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and 

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[StarComponent] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[StarComponent] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Edited by MatterBeam

1 hour ago, MatterBeam said:

I'm having a lot of the same problems as reported earlier in this mod's development: 

-Bunch of MM errors at launch

-Planets not rescaled

I have OPM installed, but I made sure to re-install Kopernicus.

Settings:

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
 Resize = 10
 Rescale = 10
 Atmosphere = 1.857
 dayLengthMultiplier = 4
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
 geeASLmultiplier = 1
 landscape = 1
 atmoVisualEffect = 1.857
 resizeScatter = 1
 CustomSoISize = 0
 CustomRingSize = 0
 atmoASL = 1
 tempASL = 1
}

KSP_log error:

and 

Those look like errors unrelated to sigma dimensions

Can you confirm that loading the game without sigmadimensions everything works fine?