Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

@Sigma88 Can you fix overheating issue? I'm playing with your mod on 64k scale and orbital velocity  is about 5500m/s and at about 16km im going about 1300-1400m/s and heating gets really high and some of my winglets on bottom of my booster get overheated and explode. Could you please fix the issue? I think Real Heat fixes it but i asking if you could fix it without additional mods :)

8 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

@Sigma88 Can you fix overheating issue? I'm playing with your mod on 64k scale and orbital velocity  is about 5500m/s and at about 16km im going about 1300-1400m/s and heating gets really high and some of my winglets on bottom of my booster get overheated and explode. Could you please fix the issue? I think Real Heat fixes it but i asking if you could fix it without additional mods :)

I'm not sure it is an issue

It may be that the way you rescale the atmosphere requires a different reentry profile

You could try to change the temperature modifier, but I honestly have very little knowledge about atmospheres. So if you know where the issue is I can look into it

@Joco223 The problem isn't with Dimenions, but with the stock part config values. They're all wrong for a scale-up, and this mod doesn't do anything to change them. I highly highly highly recomend you grab SMURFF and set its lever values to 0.5, since that will adjust the masses and such of stock and mod parts to fit a 6.4x rescale.

@Joco223 SMURFF changes the masses of command pods and such, which will affect your reentry velocity, and therefore the amount of heating you get. Values of 1 give you masses similar to real life rockets, which is too high for a 6.4x rescale. With values at 1, your rockets have way more thrust than they should for their scale, your command pods are too heavy, and your fuel tanks have way more fuel. If 0.5 on all values is too low, try making tanklever and enginelever 0.6 or 0.65 and podlever 0.5.

@Joco223 What's your scale height for atmosphere? You might just be going too fast in the lower atmosphere (probably as a result of having way more thrust on your rockets than is reasonable for the scale). As for podlever making pods heavier or lighter, you are correct that it makes pods lighter, but it also increases their pyrolosisFactor (which controls heating) and cuts masses on heatshields. Basically, at a value of one, your pods heat way faster than they should and the heat shield is too small. The effect is the same in terms of reentry as making the pods heavier.

Actually, podlever doubling pyrolosisFactor at a value of 1 is probably why you are exploding on launch. The pod heats up way too quickly and easily at that setting.

@GreenWolf My usual TWR for rockets is about 1.2-1.3 and if i have SRBs its about 1.8-1.9 but SRBs burn out pretty quickly. My atmosphere scale is 1.428. I start to get heating effects and winglets burning when i get to about 800-900 m/s at 16 km approximately. My pods don't overheat, just everything gets pretty hot

@Joco223 You shouldn't be going 900 m/s at 16 km, especially with the atmosphere scaled like that. 16km at that scale has the same thickness as about 10 km on a normal scale. Going Mach 2.5 at 10 km is gonna cause /a lot/ of heating. (Also, your TWR is way too low for an efficient launch, which might be why you were having issues with 0.5 values on SMURFF. Launch vehicles should try to stick to 1.5 TWR at a minimum, although I aim for 2 and throttle down slowly as I go to keep it at 2.)

In my own 6.4x career (which I posted configs for earlier in thread), I have not had any of the issues you're having. My advice is to drop your atmosphere scaling a little bit, increase your TWR on launch vehicles for better efficiency, cut your SMURFF values, and be less aggressive with your launch profiles. You shouldn't be breaking Mach 3 until at least 20 km.

6 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

After testing mod-by-mod for hours, I have found that Sigma Dimensions is incompatible with Planetshine.

That's odd. I've got planetshine running fine alongside Dimensions right now. Don't know if planetshine is actually doing anything, but nothing has broken.

Edited by GreenWolf

22 minutes ago, GreenWolf said:

That's odd. I've got planetshine running fine alongside Dimensions right now. Don't know if planetshine is actually doing anything, but nothing has broken.

17 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

@MatterBeam Try reinstalling Planet Shine. I have no problems with it and Sigma Dimensions

Are you running the standard build or the experimental build of Planetshine?

3 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

@MatterBeam Maybe some part of your mod is interfering with Sigma Dimensions?

I've tested 4 times with or without SimpleConstruction, with or without other mods, and it's definitely it.

SimpleConstruction contains:

-MM patches for stock parts

-Resource definitions

-EPL's Launchpad.dll

Could it be... that the .dll is adding some sort of resource map that interfered with how Sigma dimensions works? It's in the link in my sig.

1 minute ago, MatterBeam said:

I've tested 4 times with or without SimpleConstruction, with or without other mods, and it's definitely it.

SimpleConstruction contains:

-MM patches for stock parts

-Resource definitions

-EPL's Launchpad.dll

Could it be... that the .dll is adding some sort of resource map that interfered with how Sigma dimensions works? It's in the link in my sig.

I'm not at home right now, I will check it when I get home.

Have you tried with the mod config files but without the dll?

13 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I'm not at home right now, I will check it when I get home.

Have you tried with the mod config files but without the dll?

Testing...

The regular EPL does not interfere with Sigma. I'm perplexed.

Edited by MatterBeam