Silly question is it cheating to use user made .craft ships?

Cloakedwand72

Taking out the launchpad and the VAB in one low-tech launch.

Spoiler

The general consensus seems to be that there's no such thing as 'cheating' in a singleplayer game that we play for our own amusement, and what we mod to our heart content.

I'd say if something can be skipped and you feel you want to enjoy a different aspect of the game at a given time, do so.

Yes, it is.

Even daring to look at the forum/Reddit/anything for inspiration/tips/tricks for rocket building is horribly wrong. You must do everything by yourself, by hand, without the aid of any calculator (use pen and paper! just like the TRUE rocket scientists did back in the 40's!).

You MUST build your own rockets. Squad should remove the save-craft feature as well, reusing old designs is horrible cheating!

25 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

Weoooweoooweooo the internet anti-cheat police is coming.

Let's derail this guys.

Like this?

29 minutes ago, OrtwinS said:

Yes, it is.

Even daring to look at the forum/Reddit/anything for inspiration/tips/tricks for rocket building is horribly wrong. You must do everything by yourself, by hand, without the aid of any calculator (use pen and paper! just like the TRUE rocket scientists did back in the 40's!).

You MUST build your own rockets. Squad should remove the save-craft feature as well, reusing old designs is horrible cheating!

Like this?

Not to mention going to school and learning to read. Horrible hacks both of them - you should teach yourself everything from first principles. :P

On a serious note, no, it's not remotely cheating to use .craft files. I haven't done it myself (probably because my designs tend to be fairly boring) but if I was getting stuck trying to build something, finding a good .craft file to download, use or reverse engineer would be one of the best ways of of learning how to get un-stuck that I can think of.

Yes..it is

And no it isnt

KSP is MY GAME.. As much as yours is yours

There are self imposed rules..traditions.. Heartache and pain at losses

but no cheats to the wider community. the only cheats are in your head.. 

much like mine :)

I took a 44 out of the yard..didnt adjust the couplings correctly so the train was too rigid.. Thus she cut across many tracks on the way out of the depot.. Shamelessly spooling upto notch 8 and out to the mainline..breaking months of tradition..

Cheating.. Overland style

TRAINS? But why no rockets or planes??

Because that would be cheating :)

Thread derailed

Edited by Overland
Edited for Post-work happiness

1 hour ago, Corw said:

Playing KSP is cheating to start with.

You should build your own rocket in your own garage and then try landing it on the real Moon. Without MechJeb.

:D

I'd struggle to get away with killing that many crew if I tried it in real life though :D

ah, the old "is X cheating?" question. I refer you to the helpful diagram I use for all these threads:

Is X considered cheating in KSP? a handy guide:

do you yourself consider X cheating? --------yes-------> X is cheating.

--------no--------> X is not cheating.

5 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

fourth, will a mod lock this before it spirals into ugliness please? @Vanamonde @sal_vager @Red Iron Crown 

Don't do that. If you think a thread needs moderator attention just hit the report button, it is not appropriate to call it out publicly like this. Refer to Rule 3.2. The thread isn't breaking any forum rules (so far at least), and we're not generally in the business of preemptive locking so it will stay open for now.

As for the OP's question: Play how you like and don't worry if other people think it's cheating. The only cheating in KSP is if you cheat yourself out of enjoyment of the game, if you like playing with other people's craft then by all means go ahead and have fun with it.

To answer what I think is the underlying concern behind most of these threads:

No, the average community/forum member doesn't consider using a ship downloaded by other people to be "cheating" or "cheesy" or "beardy" or however it is you say it where ever it is you're from. It is quite common and not typically frowned upon in any way.

That said there is no accounting for taste as they say, so...someone at some point will probably judge you or look down their nose at you for not building it yourself. Not that they would be right for doing so, but that won't stop them.

Here's my two cents, if anyone cares.

Individual player computer games can be adapted to make it more interesting for the player through mods, expansion packs, or even cheats. As long as no one is getting hurt, you're not doing anything illegal, and you don't blog about how you made it to whatever objectives unassisted - then who cares? If you enjoy testing the craft of others, then download away! Have fun! If you need MechJeb to auto-dock, you're doing what NASA does, so who cares? Have fun! If you need the "approval" of others when you play a game (or do anything in life, really), then you are letting others decide what your "fun" is, whatever that may be.

7 hours ago, Cloakedwand72 said:
7 hours ago, Sequinox said:

Oh boy, here we go with the usual "Is ________ cheating?" thread.

OP, stay away from asking this question. Kerbal Space Program is a sandbox game. You define the rules

Lol i know i played for years but just curious.

By definition it is not possible to cheat in a single player game. The ONLY person you can possible cheat out of enjoying the game is yourself.

12 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

By definition it is not possible to cheat in a single player game. The ONLY person you can possible cheat out of enjoying the game is yourself.

Stop spreading that falsehood. The PS2 era and newer GTA games were all single player and had dozens of cheats in each game. Modifying values to give your Skyrim character a 50000 damage bow is cheating. Enabling no-clip or godmode in the Half-life games is cheating. 

Yes you can cheat in a single player game. Stop trying to justify things by saying its not cheating because its a singleplayer game.

Edit: and yes, I have done the above things before, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say "m-me, cheating? no, never" I was just screwing around a bit, having some fun. Still cheating.

Edited by r4pt0r

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.