ksp 2?

1 hour ago, godefroi said:

Plus, there's always the elephant in the room: Squad isn't a software company,

Or at least they weren't before KSP happened ;)

But it still means that we have no idea what Squad is up to next time.

Their next project might just as well be a sanctuary for migrating polar bears or a dance school for one legged tap dancers.

We had rockets..then spaceplanes with questionable physics... Then we got better physics and more planes...next we got the chance to make thunderbird 4 with new water physics... I see a trend. 

KSP2 is going to put every 'simulator to shame if it hasnt already..and the common theme is in the cab of every truck and locomotive...in the cockpit of every plane...in the wheelhouse of every fully simulated steam paddlesteamer...

Is bug eyed short green people with no noses that never blink

Other simulators know nothing of kerbal..therefore they are lesser

11 hours ago, DrMarlboro said:

There likely won't be a "KSP 2" simply because there's no reason to be a second game. Anything that can advance this game to something better will likely just come as an update. 

If squad did decide to make another game, it won't be a successor to ksp. 

Yeah because updates surely would make them money right?? The fact is that they are alot of things they cannot do right now due to current engine and sometime in the future they might across a engine that will add alot to the game and rewrtiting the entire game for a completey different engine is simply not going to be profitable. Current KSP probably have many years left but there will be one day in the not so distant future where userbase is no longer big enough to make it profitable to even release paid updates. We have already passed the peak of popularity and userbase is slowly shrinking.

8 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

How exactly, given that I would NOT like to see Squad make KSP 2?

You would have to wait 'til the end of the universe (or at least to the end of squad as a software developer) to count this bet as won. :D

Just now, Tantalus said:

You would have to wait 'til the end of the universe (or at least to the end of squad as a software developer) to count this bet as won. :D

Oh I see, Meh.. Neither of us will win, more correctly.

6 minutes ago, Tantalus said:

You would have to wait 'til the end of the universe (or at least to the end of squad as a software developer*) to count this bet as won. :D

* and the end of whoever will inherit the rights. But it's not impossible. And I think I'll always welcome a reason to aim a random spot in the world with a barrel of beer on me.

I also doubt there will ever be a KSP 2 any time soon, mainly because this type of game rarely gets a sequel. Sure, there are the various flight sims that have come out with new versions over the years, but usually, it's only games that have an underlying story to them that get sequels. New locales and conflicts for shooters, new adventures for RPGs, etc. An update to KSP would be purely based on updating the underlying tech to run more complete simulations of physics, orbital mechanics, etc. From a business standpoint, I can't see an outfit as small as Squad devoting resources to something like that.

I could be wrong, however, and there's no harm in speculating. I've often tooled around with Space Engine and thought "Man, I wish planets in KSP could look like that!"

I'm sure we all have our wishlists for what KSP could feature, so why not forget debate on whether or not there will be a version 2 and explore a few "What if?" scenarios, which is what I think the OP was doing in the first place.

Here's my list:

-Native n-body physics simulation

-First person freedom of movement within vessels, and accompanying gameplay, i.e. more robust control of the ship, interactive science experiments, etc.

-More robust basebuilding and management, incorporating strategies similar to city building games

-User-defined goals, scope, and direction for careers

-More richly detailed planets and bodies with more interactive things to do with regard to collecting science and exploration

-Other things I can't name off he top of my head right now.

20 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Oh I see, Meh.. Neither of us will win, more correctly.

I'm afraid you are wrong, as @Evanitis will win the moment KSP2 is released. 

But back to topic, i dont think this will happen. What could they put into such a game that isn't already in KSP? They could make a completly different new game, but it wouldn't be a KSP2.

16 hours ago, Majorjim said:

I want to play first person Kerbal perspective with a VR headset!

In May, when my Oculus Rift arrives, i will be with you :)

I really hope, if KSP goes 2 some day, we will have interstellar travel with another system to explore and some futuristic concepts, when it comes to parts. But, i would really like KSP to be further developed, instead of a new version... some graphics updates and a much longer tech tree... that would be great.

3 hours ago, Evanitis said:

Sounds cool. How about this: if KSP 2 comes out, you buy it for me. If it never comes out, I buy you a barrel of beer.

:cool:

3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

You are on! *digital handshake

Evantis got the best end of this deal :)

IMO there wont be a KSP2. What need is there for it anyway? Take Gran Turismo for example. Ive played all of them yet still the best one was the first. Graphics improve for sure, but as that series went on it offered nothing to excite me. If Squad continue to keep KSP updated from time to time they will continue to make money and gather more players for years to come.

Youve created a masterpiece......

Edited by maceemiller

51 minutes ago, Tantalus said:

I'm afraid you are wrong, as @Evanitis will win the moment KSP2 is released. 

But back to topic, i dont think this will happen. What could they put into such a game that isn't already in KSP? They could make a completly different new game, but it wouldn't be a KSP2.

:rolleyes: Nope, KSP will never be made, that is why I said neither of us win.. It will never be released. :cool:

9 minutes ago, Zoidos said:

I meant that a potential release date is a fixed point in time, whereas "never" is a very long time ;)

See above..

Plus, there's always the elephant in the room: Squad isn't a software company... 

Sigh. No matter how many times this gets corrected... 

SOME of the people now working for Squad STARTED working together when they were employed by a marketing company. Squad was split off from that company. Squad itself IS a software maker, and nothing else. For the love of Mike, PLEASE stop repeating this erroneous complaint. 

Years ago if you ask if KS P would ever come to consoles I'm sure many people would have said never. Either a studio will buy out Squad and make it or Squad will do it them self. This is a business and this is a huge money maker. Just like Call of Duty has had sequels so will ksp

6 hours ago, Mastema said:

I'd be okay with KSP 2 if it meant a switch to a better engine. The game performs terribly with larger rockets and crashes fairly often if you use mods, at least in my experience

Your experience with mods is, I would guess, atypical. I play with a large list of mods, and I think the last time I saw an actual CTD was somewhere around 0.23. Besides, if the game only crashes for you when mods are involved, how do you arrive at the conclusion that the game engine is somehow at fault? The fact that the game runs slow with large rockets is a result of the game design, not the engine. The game creates rockets from lots of various parts; when the rocket flies, it's still a bunch of connected parts, all of which the engine must manage, and simulate separately. This would be an issue regardless of engine.

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Sigh. No matter how many times this gets corrected... 

SOME of the people now working for Squad STARTED working together when they were employed by a marketing company. Squad was split off from that company. Squad itself IS a software maker, and nothing else. For the love of Mike, PLEASE stop repeating this erroneous complaint. 

We're talking about this Squad, right: http://www.squad.com.mx/SquadSite/index.htm? Under services (http://www.squad.com.mx/SquadSite/index.htm#s02) a lot of things are listed, almost all of which are not related to software.

Even if we're talking about a different, "split off" Squad, that only makes what I said MORE true, not less.

We're talking about this Squad, right... 

No, we're not talking about a 3.5-year-old website for the company that Squad used to be part of, before they split off and dedicated themselves to making KSP. 

Even if we're talking about a different, "split off" Squad, that only makes what I said MORE true, not less.

No, it pretty much means exactly the opposite of what you're saying. Only a couple of the people working at Squad now ever worked on marketing. 

19 hours ago, DrMarlboro said:

There likely won't be a "KSP 2" simply because there's no reason to be a second game. Anything that can advance this game to something better will likely just come as an update. 

If squad did decide to make another game, it won't be a successor to ksp. 

Agree.

I think a prequel is much more likely as a second Squad title.

7 hours ago, Majorjim said:

:rolleyes: Nope, KSP will never be made, that is why I said neither of us win.. It will never be released. :cool:

See above..

KSP 2 has never been released. Therefore, you owe that man a case of beer because since never is neither a unit of time, nor past, present, or future, you automatically lose. Sorry bro. :)