Kerbal Stuff Closed to the public

Rigel Agar

Why didn't make squad a mod repository on this site? I remember the old days when there was some sort of website where content creators could upload all kind of stuff. Making this website filled with unusable craft files. Spaceport it was called I think. That website were better off without. But Curse seems to have a whole bunch of other problems. This time it isn't the user created content but the website itself that sucks.

Why didn't make Squad their own kerbalstuff kind of page. Just mods categorized in a few groups. Latest, most popular, most downloaded & recently updated. That's it. 

@Flybert like i said i'm not against the community as much as squad but quoting from what he said

"Even setting Squad aside, running Kerbal Stuff is a largely thankless job. In fact, for the most part, I just hear complaints. Most people don't actually care about the effort put into it. Whenever I've taken the time to add features or make improvements or meet the requests of users, no one has shown any appreciation. I stopped volunteering my time and energy to extend this website, because my efforts were always met with silence or complaints"

10 minutes ago, hugix said:

Why didn't make squad a mod repository on this site? I remember the old days when there was some sort of website where content creators could upload all kind of stuff. Making this website filled with unusable craft files. Spaceport it was called I think. That website were better off without. But Curse seems to have a whole bunch of other problems. This time it isn't the user created content but the website itself that sucks.

Why didn't make Squad their own kerbalstuff kind of page. Just mods categorized in a few groups. Latest, most popular, most downloaded & recently updated. That's it. 

As the failure of the original Spaceport showed, managing a mod hosting platform, ensuring uptime as well as moderating content and comments is a much more difficult task than most people want to believe.

Personally, I think SQUAD made the right decision to focus their efforts on game development themselves, and hand over mod hosting to an established entity in the industry.

Now that a new website is emerging (im amazed how fast thats happening) we should concentrate us on one question:

How can we prevent this from happening ever again? Sadly i dont know much about the issues with Kerbalstuff, but one apparently was a lack of money...

For some reason i cant register at spacedock :( I keep getting this message when i press the "Register" Button.

Spoiler

Unauthorized

The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

2 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

For some reason i cant register at spacedock :( I keep getting this message when i press the "Register" Button.

Reveal hidden contents

Unauthorized

The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

It's still under construction.   Follow the IRC chat linked above if you need real-time updates and play-by-play, or wait for someone to post here saying that the site is ready...

Hi all, 

When KerbalStuff was created we already had an official mod repository, KS was created to provide the community with an alternative and doesn't nor ever was meant to have  anything to do with Squad. We're sad to see that the website closed, as we see how important is for some of you. Closing the KerbalStuff website was a personal decision of @Sircmpwn.  Our community is really important to us, that's why we try to do the best for you guys. However, this is something out of our control. I also wanted to thank  Sircmpwn for retracting the statement that we sought legal action against him.

It's strange, but nobody seems to know that app. No youtube "ad's" No course "ad's" completely clear websites :)

Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

Mozilla:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

opera: 

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/opera-adblock/?display=en-US

Enjoy ! :) 

9 minutes ago, Badie said:

Hi all, 

When KerbalStuff was created we already had an official mod repository, KS was created to provide the community with an alternative and doesn't nor ever was meant to have  anything to do with Squad. We're sad to see that the website closed, as we see how important is for some of you. Closing the KerbalStuff website was a personal decision of @Sircmpwn.  Our community is really important to us, that's why we try to do the best for you guys. However, this is something out of our control. I also wanted to thank  Sircmpwn for retracting the statement that we sought legal action against him.

A Wild Community Manager Appeared!

47 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Now that a new website is emerging (im amazed how fast thats happening) we should concentrate us on one question:

How can we prevent this from happening ever again? Sadly i dont know much about the issues with Kerbalstuff, but one apparently was a lack of money...

Thought that money at least was a small part of it, but @SirCmpwn said in chat just an hour ago or so, that money was irrelevant (so no interest in patreon and so on from his side). As far as I can tell, it was the reaction of squad ("none") and the community (criticism when something did not work, ignorance when everything worked).

I would like to suggest a few things toward SpaceDock, One even as a reboot SpaceDock is NOT kerbalstuff, Different author, Different URL, But it will do just as well.

1: The general theme color of the forum is blue, SpaceDock should match that.

2: The logo needs to change, As i said it isn't kerbalstuff and shouldn't use the same logo.

3: Someone please make a mini ksp plugin that changes the main menu link to Spacedock instead of Curse! ;)

All the said i hope SpaceDock is functional soon, Im getting tired of downloading from a laggy ad-filled abomination.

18 minutes ago, bork said:

i heard there was a site called space dock up can i have link?

http://spacedock.info/

its still glitchy however so watch out.

Just now, Yemo said:

Thought that money at least was a small part of it, but @SirCmpwn said in chat just an hour ago or so, that money was irrelevant (so no interest in patreon and so on from his side). As far as I can tell, it was the reaction of squad ("none") and the community (criticism when something did not work, ignorance when everything worked).

A sincere thank you @SirCmpwn for all you have done.  The community is a better place because of you.  I hope you accept all the luv of the vast majority of the kerbalnauts out there and reconsider putting KS back online WITH a Patreon button so we can really show you how much you mean to us.  Don't people understand that the reason KerbalStuff's transfer rate slowed down is because how successful it was and the vast growing amount of users accessing it?

Anyway, what ever you decide to do in the future SirCmpwn, thanks for what you have already done in the past.  The truth is, the Offensive Line in a football game never get noticed until something goes wrong.  You sir, have held the line.  Be proud of your accomplishment.

39 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Actually, I'd specifically suggest that it not match the color scheme of the forum, or try to stylistically follow it.

It's not run by Squad, it's not affiliated with the forums, it's different software.  I think it's important for people to realize that.  If you make them look too similar, people will tend to just assume they're somehow related.

Those sorts of innocent wrong assumptions are not a good thing.  Tempers flare at the wrong targets, expectations get set unrealistically.

Look at what an amazingly thankless job SirCmpwn had in running KS.  I suspect that a lot of the thanklessness had to do with the fact that most of the people using KS simply didn't get that it was one guy running all of this out of his pocket as a labor of love for the benefit of the community.  I know I didn't realize that, myself, until fairly recently.  It's an easy mistake to make, when you see something as professionally done (and as beautiful) as Kerbal Stuff.

And when you see someone in that situation, and you know it, you do. not. complain.  Not unless you're a total <orifice reference deleted>.  And-- here's my point-- I really don't think that most of the complainers (for example, in this week's hating-Kerbal-Stuff thread) are jerks.  My observation has been that the vast majority of people on this forum are really nice folks.  They may simply not have gotten the story behind it, so didn't cut the operator the requisite amount of slack.

So anyway, back to my original point:  Kerbal Stuff (or its replacement) really has nothing to do with the forum, so don't try to make it look like something it's not.

On the other hand, I think it would be good for it to better surface "what is this thing, and how does it exist, and who's running it, and how you can help"... so that hopefully, whoever runs its next incarnation won't have such a horrible (and undeserved) experience as SirCmpwn did.

to SirCmpwn,

I owe you an apology, I never complained when the site was down or was running slow. I knew it was fan based and you paid for it out of your pocket. but I never said thank you for what you did for us. for that you have my most humble apology and belated too late THANK YOU..

To Squad,

I do not blame you for Kerbal Stuff shutting down. It was a fan site not officially sanctioned by squad. Its closing was totally the fault of fans like myself who took Kerbal Stuff for granted. I do blame Squad for associating themselves with a disreputable site like Curseforge, making a site like Kerbal Stuff not only work but succeed like Curseforge never will. I never did approve of Curseforge's business model. Either be a premium pay site or  a free site. Don't make your so called free service slow /watch advertisements etc. to extort people to buy a upgraded membership. I know that Curseforge is by far not the only  website to do this. But not being the only scumbag on the internet does not change the fact they are scumbags. I do not have any premium membership at any site that use that business model.

I hope that Kerbal Stuff is revived by the community. Because if Curse is all we are left with I will not be able to continue to play Kerbal or suggest the game to my friends.

Edited by hurgar

6 minutes ago, Concodroid said:

I'm utterly shaken. Is there a... mirror? An alternative?

A lot of very able and public-minded folks from the community are coming together to bring up a replacement site that will be running the same software.

They're working on it hard, it'll take a little while to get it up and running.  Here's the thread:

There's a bare-bones mirror of the content that's up and running now, which will allow you to browse and download mods:

http://cdn.kspstuff.com/

...I believe it's only a temporary stopgap measure until they get Spacedock up and running, so don't go nuts with bookmarks.

Edited by Snark

2 hours ago, daniel l. said:

I would like to suggest a few things toward SpaceDock, One even as a reboot SpaceDock is NOT kerbalstuff, Different author, Different URL, But it will do just as well.

2: The logo needs to change, As i said it isn't kerbalstuff and shouldn't use the same logo.

3: Someone please make a mini ksp plugin that changes the main menu link to Spacedock instead of Curse! ;)

All the said i hope SpaceDock is functional soon, Im getting tired of downloading from a laggy ad-filled abomination.

http://spacedock.info/

its still glitchy however so watch out.

personally I would like it to follow the kerbal spaceport theme 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.