FASA mod and how to install

Route_Mun

last night i saw a AWESOME video about the apollo 11 with the FASA mod. i really like that, so i downloaded the mod. but the i saw the 'install' folder (wich is just some text) and with the second, im getting more and more confused. here you are: 

Delete any previous installs for FASA in the GameData folder. Open the zip file and copy the GameData and saves folders into your main KSP directory and overwrite the existing ones. 
FASA should end up in the GameData folder.

Craft files are in the FASA save game.
To remove parts, delete whole folders or delete the .cfg for the part only, some parts share textures.

i cant find the directory, but i can find the gamedata, but the saves folder should be in the ksp directory or am i wrong?? and if it goes wrong, i want to uninstall/delete the mod without problems, so i dont have to download it again. i nstalled mechjeb 2 twiche, and deleted one, because i dont need to. but in the VAB, mechjed2 does shows while i deleted one.

and one more question. they say FASA is though to run, i can run ksp with a lil bit of lag at the launch, the rest runs smooth. like i dont want my laptop to die! 

specs: 4gb RAM, i7 3537U cpu 2.50,ghz 

windows 10

You mean @Felbourn's Project Alexandria video? You'll need SEP to go with it then (shameless plug)

You should be able to just delete the 'Mechjeb' folder in your Gamedata to get rid of that. As far as FASA goes, the 'saves' folder should be in the same folder as 'GameData'. Of course, you could just not install the saves folder. You'd have to build everything yourself though.

The Apollo parts in FASA are the only ones that might push your computer a bit in terms of framerate. Everything else is about the same level of complexity as stock KSP. What kind of i7 laptop has only 4 gigs? You barely have enough to run your OS + stock KSP. Good new if you wanted, installing new RAM on a laptop is very easy and not too expensive. You could double that to 8gb most likely for <$40.

Also if there are parts of it you don't want, after you try it out, then you can usually delete those folders to save RAM. If you crash after installing then you'll NEED to delete some stuff.

Don't need the Gemini2 parts? Delete that folder.

Don't need Mercury? Delete that folder. Etc.

In some cases this will cause more parts than you had anticipated to disappear, depending on how a mod maker has set up their directory structure. For FASA it mostly works fine.

wqvv1cn.jpg

33 minutes ago, Route_Mun said:

and im probably buying another 4gb's ram. so m coming to 8gb. is that enough? and will it run smoother?

Before you upgrade your RAM, you should check if your laptop has

1. Has a 64bit version of Windows 10, so it can utilise anything above 4GB of RAM
  2. Has 2x2GB sticks, or 1 4GB stick. If it has two 2GB sticks, you probably want to buy two 4GB sticks and replace those 2GB ones altogether. If your laptop has 1 4GB stick, you'll want to make sure you either buy 1 more 4GB stick running at the same speed (e.g 1600mhz) and the same type (e.g DDR3 or DDR4) to ensure compatibility, or you'll just want to buy two 4GB sticks in a pack and replace the existing one. 

The addition of more RAM will not make KSP run any faster than it does (but it may help with multitasking on your laptop in general). However, it will allow you to have more mods, especially with 1.1 bringing 64bit support (*touches wood*). To expand on what @CobaltWolf was saying, KSP can use a maximum of ~3.8GB of RAM right now, and if it exceeds that, it crashes. However, because you only have 4GB, and Windows 10 uses between 1 - 2GB of RAM, you're limiting KSP to 2-3GB of RAM maximum. This is especially important to you, as FASA is a big mod, and it will use a lot of RAM. If you want to avoid KSP crashing every single time you try to revert to the VAB, then, if it's possible, you should probably upgrade your RAM. Besides, 8GB is pretty much standard right now, so in terms of future proofing, it might be a good idea.

6 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

1. Has a 64bit version of Windows 10, so it can utilise anything above 4GB of RAM
  2. Has 2x2GB sticks, or 1 4GB stick. If it has two 2GB sticks, you probably want to buy two 4GB sticks and replace those 2GB ones altogether. If your laptop has 1 4GB stick, you'll want to make sure you either buy 1 more 4GB stick running at the same speed (e.g 1600mhz) and the same type (e.g DDR3 or DDR4) to ensure compatibility, or you'll just want to buy two 4GB sticks in a pack and replace the existing one. 

The addition of more RAM will not make KSP run any faster than it does (but it may help with multitasking on your laptop in general). However, it will allow you to have more mods, especially with 1.1 bringing 64bit support (*touches wood*). To expand on what @CobaltWolf was saying, KSP can use a maximum of ~3.8GB of RAM right now, and if it exceeds that, it crashes. However, because you only have 4GB, and Windows 10 uses between 1 - 2GB of RAM, you're limiting KSP to 2-3GB of RAM maximum. This is especially important to you, as FASA is a big mod, and it will use a lot of RAM. If you want to avoid KSP crashing every single time you try to revert to the VAB, then, if it's possible, you should probably upgrade your RAM. Besides, 8GB is pretty much standard right now, so in terms of future proofing, it might be a good idea.

i already looked it up. its a nvidia geforce 710m with ddr3, and i open up the backside and it only has 1 4gb. but one question, on the internet i saw that one 4gb, is wider than the other. can they both fit??? because, why would you put a biger one in, while it can be smaller?

8 minutes ago, MrMeeb said:

oh and its a 64 bit system. is there even an 34 bit windows 10??

Just now, Route_Mun said:

i already looked it up. its a nvidia geforce 710m with ddr3, and i open up the backside and it only has 1 4gb. but one question, on the internet i saw that one 4gb, is wider than the other. can they both fit??? because, why would you put a biger one in, while it can be smaller?

A quick google shows that there are two different kinds of RAM - ones for Desktops and ones for laptops. Did the stuff you saw in your laptop look like the bottom one?

DIMM-vs-SODIMM.jpg

It being an i7 won't do anything, it's the processor speed. If it has say 4 cores and 3.5 gHz, KSP can use 0.875 gHz, but when 1.1 is out you will be able to have better performance, since currently KSP can use only one core for all physics, but it will be able to split it up for individual ships after 1.1 hits.

The difference is how much capacity the RAM sticks have. If it has 4GB of capacity, then applications can store 4GBs of data on it to be quickly accessed while they're running. If it has 8GB of capacity, 8GBs of data can be stored on it for application use.

dont know for sure, but it was a 4gb, singe chip of 15cm

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

It being an i7 won't do anything, it's the processor speed. If it has say 4 cores and 3.5 gHz, KSP can use 0.875 gHz, but when 1.1 is out you will be able to have better performance, since currently KSP can use only one core for all physics, but it will be able to split it up for individual ships after 1.1 hits.

2.0 ghz i7-3537u

so, whats adviced?

Edited by Route_Mun
more information

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2016 at 8:31 PM, DarthVader said:

The Saves folder is rather important, it has all the example craft and such. The folder in the "Saves" folder in the FASA download goes in the Saves folder in your KSP install.

So I drag the saves folder to the ksp's saves folder????? i did that didnt work

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, LNugget315 said:

i cant run my game on rss/ro. it gets almost finished loading, and then it says 'verifying expansion making history'. i know this was caused by fasa bc tested my mods 1 by 1 until i got to fasa and the game wont run. please fix

You should ask in the FASA or RO/RSS-Thread.

15 hours ago, LNugget315 said:

i cant run my game on rss/ro. it gets almost finished loading, and then it says 'verifying expansion making history'. i know this was caused by fasa bc tested my mods 1 by 1 until i got to fasa and the game wont run. please fix

What @Cheesecake said.  That would likely work better than necro'ing a 4 year old thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.