Devnotes Tuesday: Bugs and more bugs to be fixed!

SQUAD

21 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Where in the save file will that list of mods be?

It'll likely be in some sort of text file next to your KSP install, not the save file.

18 hours ago, SQUAD said:

and save game files now store a list of the mods that have been installed and also which are currently active.

They specifically say that the save game file will store the list of mods

4 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

It'll likely be in some sort of text file next to your KSP install, not the save file.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

They specifically say that the save game file will store the list of mods

Not quite sure then.  I guess we'll have to wait for an almighty dev to clear things up. :)

11 hours ago, Sheppard said:

One small thing: the KSPedia page for the science parts is missing an image of the Mystery Goo Container. All other experiments are there, except this one.

But if the Mystery Goo was documented and explained, it wouldn't be much of a mystery ;)

2 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Not quite sure then.  I guess we'll have to wait for an almighty dev to clear things up. :)

No need for a dev, it's live in the current prerelease build. There are a few dict keys right near the top of the sfs file, modded as a Bool and loadedInfo as a list. Can be seen for instance, in the quicksave here: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/8466

The KSPedia has an Index you can use to reach desired sections, right?

If not, it BADLY needs one.  It also ought to have more detailed pages on the planets (that include all their physical and orbital parameters, etc) and parts, so that players can learn more about what specific parts are used for (or check the gravity of a particular moon without having to exit the 'Pedia)

Regards,

Northstar

Looking forward to the final 1.1!

Comment on the KSpedia 1.1 album, 'Mode Control'. If I was someone totally new, no idea how to play and learning by reading it...i'd have no clue still on how to manage PRECISION MODE. You mention it, how the indicators change, but not HOW. I'd assume one of the three buttons does it and they don't, as those are staging, docking and map modes. Just a thought.

17 hours ago, Claw said:

There were two issues. One appears that a lot of garbage was being created and destroyed in the process of spawning the meshes. A second problem appears to be a slowdown in a Unity function that was previously in use, but seems to be much (much) slower in the new version of Unity.

Turns out there wasn't really a perfect storm required. It was just the sheer volume (and possibly type) of colliders in the fairings interacting with the slower Unity function. This might have also been an issue with really high part count craft.

So this is a Unity bug? So can they do a quick-fix so you guys can recompile a new build? Also I was wondering about builds. I saw somewhere in the thread that some people are unable to use KSP due to some driver/graphics issues on Linux i think? Cant squad just use steam to push new builds as they are built? I am assuming from Jenkins? I noticed on steamDb that you guys have experimental and pre-release builds why not just keep pushing us the experimental through steam? People can always opt out or go back to latest stable pre-release in steam if the game becomes to buggy for them

7 hours ago, Northstar1989 said:

The KSPedia has an Index you can use to reach desired sections, right?

If not, it BADLY needs one.  It also ought to have more detailed pages on the planets (that include all their physical and orbital parameters, etc) and parts, so that players can learn more about what specific parts are used for (or check the gravity of a particular moon without having to exit the 'Pedia)

Regards,

Northstar

I agree about the index thing, but I think I saw that in a screenshot once. So we might be lucky (lots of pages!).

About the planet-data, I'd like to think that it gives players an incentive to send a probe to scout the planet they would like to know more about.
Of course you can't get everything this way, but you can get the most usefull stuff.

4 hours ago, Redneck said:

Cant squad just use steam to push new builds as they are built? I am assuming from Jenkins? I noticed on steamDb that you guys have experimental and pre-release builds why not just keep pushing us the experimental through steam? People can always opt out or go back to latest stable pre-release in steam if the game becomes to buggy for them

The problem with all public testing/betas is that the developer must have resources dedicated to sift through all reports, sort, validate and classify them before they really add much to the process. A large amount of random bug reports of varying quality and relevance are more likely to slow development down (and serious bugs might drown in the flood).

In the end it often ends with annoyed customers, annoyed developers and bad a product.

That's why many companies have a select group of external volunteers, who often gets basic training in testing and reporting, to provide them with a manageable stream of reports.

A pre-release or public beta works for a limited time period since the developer can assign resources to deal with the flood, but it doesn't work over extended time.

Good QA is (sadly) a problem that can't be solved with a thousand monkey solution :/

34 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Is there somewhere a list of features that should be expected after 1.1? I mean, 1.2, etc.

Squad don't do this because such a list is always subject to change and people get upset when this happens.  They do occasionally mention that something has been scheduled for the next version or pushed back to the next version but that still doesn't mean it's guaranteed, it could be pushed back further...

18 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

The problem with all public testing/betas is that the developer must have resources dedicated to sift through all reports, sort, validate and classify them before they really add much to the process. A large amount of random bug reports of varying quality and relevance are more likely to slow development down (and serious bugs might drown in the flood).

In the end it often ends with annoyed customers, annoyed developers and bad a product.

That's why many companies have a select group of external volunteers, who often gets basic training in testing and reporting, to provide them with a manageable stream of reports.

A pre-release or public beta works for a limited time period since the developer can assign resources to deal with the flood, but it doesn't work over extended time.

Good QA is (sadly) a problem that can't be solved with a thousand monkey solution :/

Well said and point taken. Youre right. We definitely dont want to slow progress or add to the problem 

On 4/6/2016 at 3:45 PM, TriggerAu said:

Thats a little funny, I simply picked small parts and a number of em as a sample to fit under the text, never realised I had all of them except one :)

I'll have a look at it

And the same thing applies to the KSPedia page with the communication antennas. All are there except the HG-55 antenna from the "Asteroid Day" mod, which is now stock (if I remember correctly).

Ittglhl.png

1 hour ago, Sheppard said:

All are there except the HG-55 antenna from the "Asteroid Day" mod, which is now stock (if I remember correctly).

You remember incorrectly. In fact the antenna is the only part of the Asteroid Day mod that is NOT stock.

Does it matter that not all parts are displayed?
I think not.
You can look at them more as "examples" of what they're talking about.
After all, there's only so much space on a given KSPedia page and it quickly becomes cluttered, thus making it less readable.

Contrast is a bit low for the small drill on this picture. Maybe a well placed background galaxy on top of the standard background could work and be subtle enough. Plus the drill bit is clipped on the large drill.

RFH30kp.png

Edited by iLikeRovers

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

You remember incorrectly. In fact the antenna is the only part of the Asteroid Day mod that is NOT stock.

I thought the TELESCOPE was the only part of Asteroid Day NOT now in stock...thought the antenna was coming over.

Edit:  Just checked...the HG-55 is now STOCK.  Just the telescope is missing from Asteroid Day.

Edited by Ignath
looking into it

7 minutes ago, Ignath said:

I thought the TELESCOPE was the only part of Asteroid Day NOT now in stock...thought the antenna was coming over.

Edit:  Just checked...the HG-55 is now STOCK.  Just the telescope is missing from Asteroid Day.

Oops you're right. For some reason I got the two confused. Ignore me. It's late in my personal day. :D

24 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Oops you're right. For some reason I got the two confused. Ignore me. It's late in my personal day. :D

If I got a nickel every time I mis-remembered something, I'd be a millionaire!  No worries 5th.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.