The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

1 hour ago, kithylin said:

.... As with all major updates to KSP, you're going to have to re-build everything to get it working right, espically large updates like this one with significant changes to everything. In general with KSP updates we're supposed to wipe everything, including all saves, and do clean installs. Mostly just to weed out any possible corruption from old KSP settings/items/ships as potential "Problems" with the new builds. Everyone should be accustomed to this by now if you've been playing KSP long enough.

You're going to have to define "working right".  Landing gear skids, hops, and clips to the ground.  Landing legs have the grip of oiled teflon.  Rover wheels have all the grip of racing slicks in the rain.  Can you seriously call this "working right"?

I can fart loudly on the runway and it will ignite like a bomb. Not sure if that's gear or the runway itself being fragile.

CPU never shudders though, it's a full 60 FPS explosion. Appreciate the hard work with everything but you just nuked planes hard.

Just now, Raideur Ng said:

I can fart loudly on the runway and it will ignite like a bomb. Not sure if that's gear or the runway itself being fragile.

CPU never shudders though, it's a full 60 FPS explosion. Appreciate the hard work with everything but you just nuked planes hard.

Can you give us any idea of what sort of vessel sets this off? I've done multiple SSTO spaceplane launches and landings without issue in 1.1, including the K-Prize link in my sig. No offense but more info is needed to be able to fix any problem.

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

The whole wheel clipping thing might be confusing people in general though if they don't know what it's all about.

As I've shown though, you can actually break and bypass that by using more than 20 wheels. Though I'll have to see if what I made still work with these settings.

How are you using that many wheels without losing power instantly?

6 hours ago, katateochi said:

that problem with the clipped wheels which seemed to be solved a couple builds ago is back (the tolerance for how clipped they can be has increased again). This is once again too much clipping for a TR-2L

Really?? See if @Arsonide knows why as this was fixed in an earlier 1.1 version..

3 hours ago, kithylin said:

.... As with all major updates to KSP, you're going to have to re-build everything to get it working right, espically large updates like this one with significant changes to everything. In general with KSP updates we're supposed to wipe everything, including all saves, and do clean installs. Mostly just to weed out any possible corruption from old KSP settings/items/ships as potential "Problems" with the new builds. Everyone should be accustomed to this by now if you've been playing KSP long enough.

LOL, no freaking way mate, not after full release. Name one other game that has done that after full release. Squad know this and have taken every precaution to allow saves and craft to work after version 1.0 and up.

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

Really?? See if @Arsonide knows why as this was fixed in an earlier 1.1 version..

That fix caused some phantom forces to be reintroduced, and the full clipping sphere was reinstated. I did add some configuration options to tweak this behavior though, see my earlier reply in this thread.

2 hours ago, Arsonide said:

Those three values are indeed new, and they are percentages of the wheel radius, so if you wanted to set the clip sphere to half (for instance) set the offset to 0.5, which will move the center of the clip sphere down the suspension axis by 0.5 times the wheel radius, plopping it in the middle of the wheel base and the wheel center. Then set the range to 0.5 as well. I also recommend bumping up to the multiplier to 1.1 if you do this, which gives an extra "envelope" of space around the sphere, of 10%.

Know this though, the clipping sphere is the size that it is for a very big reason. Reducing it to half size will not result in "better clipping behaviour". It will allow you to place things closer to wheels without them disabling for your protection, but due to a Unity bug, it will also probably create phantom forces when the vessel unpacks. This is highly dependent on how the vessel is set up though, so there is a chance that if you are careful, you can avoid this.

These settings were added so people could adjust this behavior if they wanted, but there is a very big downside to doing so.

I will have to load up the game to know exactly what you mean by that. So are you still expecting the next unity update to fix the clipped wheel issue? I did not experience any phantom forces at all when you lowered the sphere before though.

Edited by Majorjim

Just now, Majorjim said:

I will have to load up the game to know exactly what you mean by that. So are you still expecting the next unity update to fix the clipped wheel issue? W

https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-5.3

• Physics: Fix ignore settings not being applied to WheelCollider (when set with Physics.IgnoreCollision)

Yep.

13 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

LOL, no freaking way mate, not after full release. Name one other game that has done that after full release. Squad know this and have taken every precaution to allow saves and craft to work after version 1.0 and up.

Like it really matters anyway. Everything is changed, Wheels, wheel phyiscs, wheel functions, aerodynamics, all of it's changed. Even if you get something to load and work you're still going to have to tear apart and re-design all your old ships/designs anyway just to get em to work again. May as well start fresh so at least it's guaranteed you won't hit any bugs resulting from old ships being used in a new environment. 

Just like you can't load complex 400 part ships built back in KSP 0.6 in to 1.1 and expect them to even fly at all, it won't work. If you want stability and success, start over.. if you want to create your own bugs that don't exist for the rest of us.. keep loading old saves and hope it some how maybe works for you... but people using old saves and old builds that encounter problems shouldn't be complaining to us about said problems.. because the problems may not be problems at all, but may just be incompatible old designs flipping out with how the system changed.

Edited by kithylin

Just now, basic.syntax said:

Thanks Arsonide for staying on top of these issues!   The next question is going to be... do you have an eta for KSP's adoption of the Unity 5.3 update? 

Unfortunately, that is not something that I can provide at this time. ETAs are fickle creatures. I can say that 1.1 did ship with the best solution to the issue available in our current version. You have to move wheels a bit further away from other parts, but there are configuration options if you are determined to move them closer. I'll try to include this information in my next devnotes to give it a bit more exposure.

So, previously on Kerbal Space Program....

If you had terrain set to HIGH from the main menu,    On Duna:
" The camera which looks like that of the Curiosity rover, buried in the soil (visible on only high terrain detail at 30° 20′ 30″ S 28° 48′ 37″ W)

You'd see the camera sticking out of the sand.

I no longer see that.    Also, from my saved game, my flag has fallen over.

duna-nocamera11_zpsbrmx8wb4.jpg

Can anyone confirm, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

---------------------------------------------
also, looking at the Kerbal wiki Easter Egg list:
http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/List_of_easter_eggs

I see one listed I've never seen before, a large orange circle on Bop.      Large Orange Circle (4° 44′ 24″ S 72° 46′ 12″ W)

Is that new with 1.1, or has it been around awhile?

@Arsonide Understood. Thanks for a candid reply... it's very clear from the changelog, and player / tester experiences that the landing gear / wheel system, and all the incredibly diverse situations of gravity and placement that KSP can employ them under, has been one of the biggest challenges in this update.  I'm personally happy to rebuild craft if I run into problems, or role play a problem into another rescue mission, lol. Half the fun for me is in building stuff :) 

Nothing to discuss - game won't start. Not a very impressive experience so far:

Launch game - default resolution is low enough to obscure the UI control for changing resolution. Start game anyway - hang.

Force quit, restart, set resolution at Launcher, start game - hang.

On OSX at least this isn't at all supercharged. More like wheel spinning. Time to go root through the support forum.

I've had very little luck with them. On a less than 6t aircraft the steerable nosewheel will be destroyed even on the gentlest landing and if the fixed gear isn't perfectly aligned the aircraft will dance around on the runway until the gear is destroyed.

1 hour ago, Claw said:

Try changing the settings.cfg to enable full screen mode, then try starting up.

Changing a config file to get a game to even run - are we stuck in the 90s here? I'm getting bad emm386 flashbacks.

On a less snippy note, thanks for the quick reply and I'll try the fix tonight. I did notice a setting in the graphics options for enabling full screen mode - will that work too, or do I need to edit the config file manually?

Savegames from 1.0.5 mostly work on 1.1. But all flags do fall over, yes. I don't know if the easter egg is still there. If it vanished, that might be an oversight, and they will put it back in the hotpatch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.