Contract Pack: Sounding Rockets 1.4 - 3/17/18

inigma

On 10/17/2016 at 11:58 PM, viveleroi said:

I'm having trouble with this in 1.2 - I'm using the latest build of this, plus Contract Configurator's 1.2 dev build, and I can never fulfill the first contract. I reinstalled all my mods and it finally recognizes my altitude achievement and when I've landed but it still refuses to realize I've recovered the craft.

Any suggestions?

Works for me on a heavily modded 1.2 install. If you end up attempting the contract more than once, ie a revert flight situation, you often have to cancel the contract and re-accept it.

@inigma Are you reconsidering refining the contract requirements? Roverdude added a bit more ompf to the rockets, so getting to 2km and even 5km with a basic SR is cake now.

Cheers, 

1 minute ago, Stratickus said:

Works for me on a heavily modded 1.2 install. If you end up attempting the contract more than once, ie a revert flight situation, you often have to cancel the contract and re-accept it.

@inigma Are you reconsidering refining the contract requirements? Roverdude added a bit more ompf to the rockets, so getting to 2km and even 5km with a basic SR is cake now.

Cheers, 

Recent fixes to CC solve most of the issues but I'm actually encountering a new issue. When I have a "sounding rocket to 70km" contract, it automatically fails me when I begin re-entry, despite nothing blowing up. I just landed with each piece in tact but the mission has "safely" in red.

41 minutes ago, viveleroi said:

Recent fixes to CC solve most of the issues but I'm actually encountering a new issue. When I have a "sounding rocket to 70km" contract, it automatically fails me when I begin re-entry, despite nothing blowing up. I just landed with each piece in tact but the mission has "safely" in red.

Not sure about that one. I have not progressed far enough to get that contract. I imagine some of the contract conditions need to be reworked. It was pretty tough to get a SR to 70k in 1.1.3

2 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Cheers, 

I will tackle CP:SR when I finish GAP. :) Thanks for the heads up on the new tweaks to SR.

2 hours ago, viveleroi said:

I'll be re-playing...er re-testing CP:SR just as soon as I finish up GAP for KSP 1.2.

13 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Roverdude added a bit more ompf to the rockets, so getting to 2km and even 5km with a basic SR is cake now

I was happy to see that the SR got the thrust boost because in FAR they were too underpowered to be used properly and I reported this after getting confirmation from ferram. So the thrust boost is just globally applied, not used as a FAR patch with begets the question of how the rockets will behave differently in FAR vs Stock. Just some additional consideration that may be needed when re-thinking these contracts

hFZFi6E.png

So I have a theory as to why this contract failed even though I flew to 2.7km ASL over KSC - I used a 2-stage rocket to do it (I'm using FAR). Could this have triggered a failure? I wasn't aware you had to recover the entire rocket, I thought you just needed to recover the payload with the Avionics Package. May want to clarify this if the entire rocket is expected to be recovered intact and you're not allowed to use staging.

• 2 months later...

I know this isn't the specific place to be asking, but I have tried my luck at the main USI SR thread as well as reddit and have gotten some great assistance, but am still struggling to find a solution to my problem. I'm hoping maybe someone that uses this contract pack might be able to help me.

I have a series of Sounding Rockets designed specifically for this contract pack. One for each individual contract. I can trace their initial design back to at least USI SR v0.5.3 and I think v0.5.0 is probably when I originally created them. In any event, they can no longer get anywhere near completing the contract requirements, suffering significantly in overall performance. 

I have looked at all of the config files as well as change log notes from v0.5.0 on and have not found anything that would point to a loss in rocket performance. Thrust, mass or Isp.  I am suspicious it might be drag, but I'm not sure how to test this.  At this point, I am fairly confident it is not anything to do with USI SR specifically and perhaps a conflict with some other mod. Problem is, I have no idea, nor do I think that I have a mod that would effect drag, mass, thrust or anything to do with atmospheric performance. I do not use FAR and unless some unknown mod I have effects atmospheric performance, I have stock aero. I have tested the rockets on a clean install, with nothing but USI SR, getting the same under performing results.

Additionally, I cannot think of a way to test the rockets under the 'old' conditions, since I don't know what the problem is.

Cheers,

• 3 months later...

2 things: what is the best way to recover a rocket booster with the starting parts (no parachutes other than the sounding rocket one for my modded install)

and when I launch my rocket to above 2000m (with one stage, an avionics/battery package and a parachute nosecone) with a 2000m contract active, it says it hasn't gone to 2000m (similar to Spike88)

Other than that, thanks for the contract pack

@inigma

Edited by Skylon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a clue about the non-fulfilled contracts that happen so often:

When I had the 20,000m contract fulfilled with a sounding rocket that was capable of reaching 160,000m and returning to the surfact without issues, the contract was NOT fulfilled...
(100% USI Sounding Rockets parts used)

I guess when a sounding rocket is "better" than the next level after the actual contract needs, then the contract is NOT fulfilled.

Just a clue by my experience.

I'm am also having an issue with the contracts not fulfilling.

Brand new KSP 1.4.2 save with Contract Configurator 1.24.1 and version 1.4 of the Sounding Rockets contract pack. I've tried to complete the "fly a sounding rocket to 2000m" contract 5 or 6 times now but the altitude parameter never completes. It never says that anything failed, it just doesn't register the altitude. My sounding rocket is made up of all USI Sound Rocket parts. 

I don't see anything interesting in the KSP logs. 

Edited by Jonney5

On 3/29/2018 at 8:55 PM, Gordon Dry said:

I have a clue about the non-fulfilled contracts that happen so often:

When I had the 20,000m contract fulfilled with a sounding rocket that was capable of reaching 160,000m and returning to the surfact without issues, the contract was NOT fulfilled...
(100% USI Sounding Rockets parts used)

I guess when a sounding rocket is "better" than the next level after the actual contract needs, then the contract is NOT fulfilled.

Just a clue by my experience.

On 3/30/2018 at 5:45 PM, Jonney5 said:

I'm am also having an issue with the contracts not fulfilling.

Brand new KSP 1.4.2 save with Contract Configurator 1.24.1 and version 1.4 of the Sounding Rockets contract pack. I've tried to complete the "fly a sounding rocket to 2000m" contract 5 or 6 times now but the altitude parameter never completes. It never says that anything failed, it just doesn't register the altitude. My sounding rocket is made up of all USI Sound Rocket parts. 

I don't see anything interesting in the KSP logs. 

I'll look at these when I get some time this week. :) Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I've not had any issues in my own testing.  

Are you guys doing straight up contract accept, build rocket, fly it? Or are you doing anything in between?

Usually these sounding rocket contracts are done in the very beginning of a career, incl. other contracts (stock or using CC) like "first launch", "get to 5000m," etc.

So after accepting them (and the others which are offered) I start building the sounding rockets and go.

I eventually gave up and cheated past the first "fly a sounding rocket to 2000m" contract and for whatever reason the next two worked normally.

Actually now that i think about it, I'm now running Contract Configurator 1.24.3 so I'm not sure if that has something to do with this?

Edited by Jonney5

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, inigma said:

I'll look at these when I get some time this week. :) Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I've not had any issues in my own testing.  

Are you guys doing straight up contract accept, build rocket, fly it? Or are you doing anything in between?

I too had to force completion of the 20,000m contract in 1.4.2

• 2 weeks later...

This is hilarious -- I thought I was some weirdo for dredging up this old mod pack and contract pack and thinking I would just tough it out since *noone* would be doing this. Glad to know I'm not alone here! :D

Looking forward to any tweaks to this contract pack!

28 minutes ago, DracoSilverpath said:

If I'm not mistaken, recent releases of contract configurator broke a different modpack, it could be that the fix for that is what's needed here? It was the kerbal akademy pack

In that case it was the string declarations of Kerbal class names. Probably not what's at work here.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

really like the Sounding Rocket pack, it's a breeze of fresh air between tweaking missions to Eve and adding modules to space stations. There is a bug with 1.4.5, like many here the altitude check commonly do not get complete even though I pass the altitude easily. From time to time it works (every few tries) but I was not able to see what I did differently.

I am using Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 and Contract Configuration 1.25 (This is the latest version, supporting officially Kerbal 1.4.2)

I love the pack, but that check bug drives me nuts.

Edited by Frag2000

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.