[Minimum KSP version 1.11] Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) v2.3

IgorZ

The side effect is it's hard to pull off the switch sometimes.:D

I upped the distance for switching to 5000 (which might not work right, since I heard anything over ~2000 or physics range has weird effects, but that might be a different thing entirely), but the issue is that at anything more than 1000 or so is being able to actually reliably click the thing in question is difficult. In the latest scenario, during a reentry, I deployed my parachute on my capsule, switched to a jettisoned reentry stage to ensure the chutes went off proper (and just 'cuz I could) and everything worked fine, but trying to switch back...It's really hard to double click a moving Mk1 pod that's 1.3km away and twisting under a parachute canopy. At the time I had switching distance capped to 1000, and naturally I drifted further apart, hence the 5000 it's at now.

--

Also, regarding the Linux bug: currently you suggest rebinding either the ALT or the Mouse button. I tried rebinding the mouse to the RCLICK, but that didn't work either, so there must be another conflict there too. Basically anything with ALT in it is a no go.

Would it be possible to make something like CAPSLOCK available as an another modifier (or would its persistent ON/OFF status affect things)? As you warned about, SHIFT and CTRL are throttle bound, and I'm picturing the situation where I'm on EVA free floating in space using my RCS pack and I hit LCTRL + LCLICK to switch and my Kerbal goes zooming south 10 m/s as I switch vessels. That would also be the time I'd be most likely to use this mod a lot.

Although, CAPSLOCK is bound to something ingame as well (fine grain controls I think), I don't know that I've ever used those, and I'd be inclined to to just rebind the key entirely.

7 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

I upped the distance for switching to 5000

How exactly did you do it and where? EVS doesn't define any switching distance: as long as you can hover over a vessel you can click and switch.

7 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Would it be possible to make something like CAPSLOCK available as an another modifier

I was actually thinking about it. Because as for now ALT is, basically, the only option. I think I'll revert from modifiers to plain KeyCode. This way any key could be bound as modifier. Added an issue to track it.

45 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

How exactly did you do it and where? EVS doesn't define any switching distance: as long as you can hover over a vessel you can click and switch.

I was actually thinking about it. Because as for now ALT is, basically, the only option. I think I'll revert from modifiers to plain KeyCode. This way any key could be bound as modifier. Added an issue to track it.

So....I might have misread the "maxVesselDistance = 5000" under Camera Stabilization options....I sometimes see what I want to see. :blush:

It just seemed like a natural idea to limit it, so I assumed that's what it was, without bothering to read, you know, the block of text it was under.

I do like the "any key as a modifier" idea, otherwise you're probably going to keep getting the occasional nutter like me who just has to have his favorite key as an option, and that would get annoying fast.:D

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, evileye.x said:

@IgorZ great mod, must have for KIS fans (as myself)

I believe there's no version for KSP 1.0.5 ? :blush:

This mod has been created after the 1.1 release, so there is no version for 1.0.5. Any reason you're still playing it?

58 minutes ago, IgorZ said:

Any reason you're still playing it?

Actually there's 3 reasons at least :)

1) I'm playing a career in 1.0.5 with tons of mods (>100) and I really doubt I can migrate my save to 1.1.3 without many problems

2) I don't like post 7.4 EVE cloud configs, so I stuck with Better Atmospheres v5. post 7.4 EVE volumetric clouds have abysmal performance. I really love to fly my jets through very,very dense volumetric clouds...

SVE just does not do it, I think because of performance issues with new EVE...

3) Adjustable Landing gear 

4) Enhanced Navball

5) Rockets in VAB looks like made of cheap plastic :(

6) Vanguard Eject System + chutes

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2016 at 0:50 AM, IgorZ said:

That thread was closed saying this one has the update. I do not see any links to a 1.2 version in this thread or in the OP.

There is also a link on that thread to a file on Github for version 1.1.1 that should be for KSP 1.2, but that link goes to a 404 page.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

That thread was closed saying this one has the update. I do not see any links to a 1.2 version in this thread or in the OP.

There is also a link on that thread to a file on Github for version 1.1.1 that should be for KSP 1.2, but that link goes to a 404 page.

Aha. I assumed because the OP had not been updated, Curseforge had not either. I was wrong. The page on Curseforge has the 1.1.1 release for KSP 1.2

58 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Aha. I assumed because the OP had not been updated, Curseforge had not either. I was wrong. The page on Curseforge has the 1.1.1 release for KSP 1.2

Yeah, all binaries are updated but there was a delay with the forum threads.

• 2 weeks later...

WHERE has this mod been all my life!! This is absolutely fantastic! Totally intuitive controls (the alt+click) and so smooth. Not only great for KAS/KIS usage, but just in general. Really great mod, I've been using it for about 2 hours now and already this is in my must have mods list.
One Q, is there an option/way to disable the yellow highlight?

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

WHERE has this mod been all my life!! This is absolutely fantastic! Totally intuitive controls (the alt+click) and so smooth. Not only great for KAS/KIS usage, but just in general. Really great mod, I've been using it for about 2 hours now and already this is in my must have mods list.
One Q, is there an option/way to disable the yellow highlight?

Glad you liked it :) There is no option to switch off highlighting but you can set color alpha to 0 in settings: targetVesselHighlightColor.

5 minutes ago, Rhedd said:

This is really amazing. I agree with @V8jester, yet another mod I'm not going to be able to live without in the future. ^_^ Thank you!

Could you please consider putting it on SpaceDock so I can subscribe to it and keep track of it easier?

Thanks for the warm words.

As for SpaceDock they don't allow external links to the release files which complicates the release process since I'll need to upload releases to multiple storages. Currently I upload release archive exactly one time and have mod published in 3 major publishers (this forum, CurseForge, and CKAN). Have you considered using CKAN to keep your mods base up to date?

Btw, the mod is released under Public Domain license. Anyone (e.g. you) may publish it on SpaceDock and keep it up to date :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, BrutalRIP said:

seem to be getting a ctd every now and then when trying to switch (heavy modded install)would post logs but ksp seems to have stopped making them unless they moved from kspx64 Data folder ?:confused:

There is a bug in Unity 5.4.0 that causes the log to be written into your user profile AppData folder in some circumstances.  Hit Windows-R (i.e. hold the windows key down and hit R) and then copy paste the whole of the following line into it (including the quotes) and hit OK.

"%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program"

On 09.11.2016 at 3:48 AM, BrutalRIP said:

seem to be getting a ctd every now and then when trying to switch (heavy modded install)would post logs but ksp seems to have stopped making them unless they moved from kspx64 Data folder ?:confused:

What is "ctd"? "Crash to Desktop"? If so then my only guess is "stack overflow" error when some other mod tries to interfere with vessel switching. The only way to solve the problem is finding the exact mod that causes troubles. Most mods don't deal with switching vessels, so you should be able to narrow down the list of suspects by just reading their descriptions. Then, try removing them one by one.

3 hours ago, IgorZ said:

What is "ctd"? "Crash to Desktop"? If so then my only guess is "stack overflow" error when some other mod tries to interfere with vessel switching. The only way to solve the problem is finding the exact mod that causes troubles. Most mods don't deal with switching vessels, so you should be able to narrow down the list of suspects by just reading their descriptions. Then, try removing them one by one.

Both KER and KAC have had similar crashing issues when trying to switch the active vessel in KSP 1.2.  In both of these it appeared to be caused by doing the switch directly in the old-style OnGUI code for handling a button.  This has been fixed in both KER and KAC by delaying the actual switch to the next Update call.

There is a further issue in KER where the game will sometimes lock up after switching vessel.  This hasn't been tracked down yet but it only appears to happen when you have the rendezvous window open and the vessel you are switching to already has a target set.

15 hours ago, Padishar said:

Both KER and KAC have had similar crashing issues when trying to switch the active vessel in KSP 1.2.  In both of these it appeared to be caused by doing the switch directly in the old-style OnGUI code for handling a button.  This has been fixed in both KER and KAC by delaying the actual switch to the next Update call.

EVS does switch from Update() method, and it works just fine. Cannot verify right now but I'm pretty sure I have both KER and KAC in my game, and there were no problems during switching via EVS.

Sorry for the late reply but since my last post I had restarted ksp so deleted my log file and have been waiting for it to happen again but for some it hasn't so sorry for any inconvenience but I think I'm going to put it down to computer trouble so again sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for the mod that should really be stock

• 3 weeks later...

New version released.

1.2.0 (December 13th, 2016)

• [Enhancement #3] Allow more modifier keys assigned.
  • [Enhancement #6] Allow setting focus on a specific part. By default it's key O.

Don't miss the tutorial video on the new feature:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.