Share your Most Colossal Ship/Plane!

Here’s my mobile space station/mothership. It’s not much, and it is certainly dwarfed by the previous post, but I’m proud of it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak0iqehg58nfbdo/image.png?dl=0

This is in my career mode save. I launched it into orbit in three sections, and docked them together in orbit. No cheats were used.

Stats:

Length: approx. 81 m.

Delta V: 5,718m/s and climbing (It’s processing ore)

TWR: 0.12

Mods: OPT Spaceplane parts, DarkSide Technologies, and soon to add KIS/KAScargo.

ISRU capable, scanning capable, and MPL equipped.

Mass: 550,095 kg

ElectricCharge: 58691 units, MonoPropellant: 5360 units, Ore (capacity): 7200 units, LiquidFuel: 29122/29130, Oxidizer: 23861/23870.

Parts: 1226 currently 

Crew Capacity: 32 (though it currently has a skeleton crew of one while the others gain experience)

Propulsion: 8 Nervs, and 1 OPT Dark Drive.

Frames per second: 3 to 4

Hope you guys approve! (I’ll quit rambling now)

Edited by Mycroft

On 6/28/2016 at 2:52 PM, Brownhair2 said:

Mothership.png

There was also an ascent stage, although it wasn't anywhere near as big.

I like that ring of Mk2 cockpits about halfway up; the pointyness and the symmetry make it look like an art deco skyscraper.

Lets just say... my boosters had boosters...

Also it worked a Saturn V replica (only first 2 stages) attached upside down at the top and firing down at full thrust...

EDIT:
My biggest plane though was 3 columns of mk 3 plane parts going back maybe like 3 large cargo bays...

I had a LOT of rapier engines powering the thing.

I have lost both however to time...

Edited by MacLeod-Industries

My largest functional and useful spacecraft would be my "Odin" interplanetary class ships from my previous science save with KSP interstellar and Planatary base systems mods. The second generation "Odin" ship is the largest in the class. It features a small molten salt nuclear reactor, two closed gas cycle nuclear engines, a "hangar" for a landing craft, a mobile lab and crew accommodations including separate cabins for each crew member. It's also 100% autonomous, only the landingcraft requires a pilot. This is too not exhaust the pilot and to minimize the risk for Kerbal error. 

20160618155858_1_zpsvh6jcih2.jpg

The Ares Star concept. needs to be sent to orbit still, but over 400 tons assembled. No screenies yet, expect  'em when I get the beast ready to go.

Biggest at launch? The Kassini Sarnus probe with Huygens Tekto Lander (OPM FTW), no screenies of it on the MK-2 superheavy launcher with  X1 Nuclear Cruise Stage, but 7.1t fully fueled, flew by all Sarnian (?) Moons.

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

It's a sea going ship, but I think it might be the biggest in the thread...*

HMS Hood!

262 Meters in length and weighing if I remember correctly, 70K tons or so?

SizzlingUnsteadyAmericanalligator.gif

The German Bismarck might actually be a bit wider though, and Prinz Eugen has a part count record of over 1100 parts

*Actually, the biggest thing** I've ever made is actually the HUUGE Asteroid in the currently hiatus The Asteroid Sentinels, at over 300 meters in basically all dimensions, and weighing 40 or so MILLION tons... It was a welding job though. And I don't know if it counts as a ship.... 

** With that said, I made a TARDIS, and that must surely be bigger on the inside!

The Evolution mothership.  Might not be the biggest, but could very well be the most unstable...  Has to be assembled, in Kerbin Orbit, from 6 different parts.  Has enough Delta-V, once assembled, to do a Dres direct transfer(inefficient transfer ignoring the efficient transfer window).  Possibly even capable of flying strait to the Jool system if an efficient transfer window is used.  Other then that...

705 parts.

705.892(706) tons

35m tall

15.7m wide

25.2m long

each part, other then the central core, is capable of landing on lower then kerbin gravity worlds/moons.  The 5 landable sections can refuel and fly back up to the central core and reattach since they are all equipped with refineries, science packages, and mining equipment.  The craft, as a whole, can attempt a low gravity landing, but it will most likely end up becoming an impressive debree field if landing as a whole is attempted on any terrain that is not 100% perfectly smooth.  The individual parts on the other hand, can make safe landing on quite uneven ground with little problems.

evolutionmothership12_zpssmimfaxu.jpg

My largest functional ssto.  Designed in ksp 0.90, I was never able to get it into orbit without some extra fuel.  In 1.1.3 though, it can now reach orbit, barely, while hauling a full orange fuel tank with monopropellant and a probe core attached.  Not exactly the best flying beast though.  In fact, it's actually quite ugly to fly... :\

heavyssto10-4_zpscopyfrn2.jpg

The Lamp Post is also quite the beast.  It is my primary cargo tractor for doing long range missions.  It's capable to towing over 150 tons of equipment to anywhere in the kerbal system.  It can perform a direct flight to the jool system without refueling and can do a grand tour, of all the planets and moons, if the tanks are topped off at each stop.  Nothing fancy, just a functional tug.

lamppost2-9_zpsniyfux5y.jpg

And finally, my single largest craft, the Driad.  This craft is huge, for me anyways.  Being nearly 100m in length and requiring a complex docking procedure that aligns 5 different docking ports to connect each piece, it is not an easy craft to put together...  Also, it is a complete failure.  The moment the engines are ignited to break orbit, the craft implodes...  Very kerbal in that way.

driadfront1_zpsn6uchq75.jpg

Edited by Jakalth

2 hours ago, castille7 said:

"Omega 7"

hIkv7uv.png

This is probably the largest thing I've put into Orbit, I had so much lag I left it alone and called it done.

So, one has to ask... What was the purpose of this station? Was it a fuel dock, a mothership, or some other contraption?

i have a few honestly, but, seeing just this first page the feelings of inadequacy are cropping up. BUT, like Jeb, I soldier on. Biggest Station, Single Launch: Kerbal Orbital Science Complex: On launch pad with launcher uhP0Rto.png

In orbit: 

TFWS703.png

Next, is the Goliath Class Shuttle, as above 2 pictures, one with Launcher and one alone in orbit:

With Launcher:

2DoLQok.png

On orbit:

KW3UMtY.png

And my largest ship, the Titan Class Interplanetary Transport with its launcher and on orbit doing a maneuver:

With Launcher: 

Qot5I3k.png

On Orbit about to do a systems check:

SUkjo40.png

4 hours ago, THE NARWHAL said:

So, one has to ask... What was the purpose of this station? Was it a fuel dock, a mothership, or some other contraption?

Refueling Station, the lower end was part of the launcher and was going to be used for fuel only to travel to Duna or Jool if it were possible but I was getting too much lag when I arrived with another craft to refuel it.

Edited by castille7

On 6/28/2016 at 5:05 PM, KerbalKyle45kk said:

No offense, but pity. mine was WAY  bigger. i made it to look like a kraken. *sorry for bragging*

anway pretty big stuff! :cool::D

(O.o)

On 7/2/2016 at 11:55 AM, Jakalth said:

The Evolution mothership.  Might not be the biggest, but could very well be the most unstable...  Has to be assembled, in Kerbin Orbit, from 6 different parts.  Has enough Delta-V, once assembled, to do a Dres direct transfer(inefficient transfer ignoring the efficient transfer window).  Possibly even capable of flying strait to the Jool system if an efficient transfer window is used.  Other then that...

705 parts.

705.892(706) tons

35m tall

15.7m wide

25.2m long

each part, other then the central core, is capable of landing on lower then kerbin gravity worlds/moons.  The 5 landable sections can refuel and fly back up to the central core and reattach since they are all equipped with refineries, science packages, and mining equipment.  The craft, as a whole, can attempt a low gravity landing, but it will most likely end up becoming an impressive debree field if landing as a whole is attempted on any terrain that is not 100% perfectly smooth.  The individual parts on the other hand, can make safe landing on quite uneven ground with little problems.

evolutionmothership12_zpssmimfaxu.jpg

My largest functional ssto.  Designed in ksp 0.90, I was never able to get it into orbit without some extra fuel.  In 1.1.3 though, it can now reach orbit, barely, while hauling a full orange fuel tank with monopropellant and a probe core attached.  Not exactly the best flying beast though.  In fact, it's actually quite ugly to fly... :\

heavyssto10-4_zpscopyfrn2.jpg

The Lamp Post is also quite the beast.  It is my primary cargo tractor for doing long range missions.  It's capable to towing over 150 tons of equipment to anywhere in the kerbal system.  It can perform a direct flight to the jool system without refueling and can do a grand tour, of all the planets and moons, if the tanks are topped off at each stop.  Nothing fancy, just a functional tug.

lamppost2-9_zpsniyfux5y.jpg

And finally, my single largest craft, the Driad.  This craft is huge, for me anyways.  Being nearly 100m in length and requiring a complex docking procedure that aligns 5 different docking ports to connect each piece, it is not an easy craft to put together...  Also, it is a complete failure.  The moment the engines are ignited to break orbit, the craft implodes...  Very kerbal in that way.

driadfront1_zpsn6uchq75.jpg

Does the Evolution run on creationists?

The SLS Block Z138X48MK420

7gFsmVd.png

OH GOD THE LAG

It carries another rocket on top of it! It's 790 parts! It takes 4 hours to get into orbit! And it can survive losing up to 3 engines! (Which isn't so impressive considering it has 64 engines on the bottom stage). Honestly, it serves no purpose. It also has a worrying tendency to self-disassemble mid-flight and rain rocket engine upon the poor engineers and scientists, but it can keep flying.

Edited by The Optimist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.