The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

Lots of talk in the last couple weeks about "wheels being fixed".  But very little solid info about what that *means*.  They could tweaked enough to be noticeably less-wonky than they are now, and still not be what a layperson would call "fixed".

I have a very specific focus, to tell the truth.  I actually don't PERSONALLY care much about "wheels" per se--I fly very few planes and I only use rovers for low-speed, local base support (fuel tankers, prospecting, maybe the occasional "collect readings in this area" contract).  So airplane gear and powered wheels are pretty easy to work around, for my playstyle.

I am actually FAR more interested in LANDING LEGS.  Does anyone know if they will once again be a useful option for, y'know, landing on?  Or will the best advice continue to be "fins, rocket nozzles, girders...there are lots of better things to land on"?  Sliding down a long gentle slope on frictionless "landing legs" may be funny ONCE, but it gets old.  And it makes the idea of a permanent base (say, to mine a particularly Ore-rich area) problematic to say the least.

I am still using 1.0.5.  Mostly because of the landing leg issue.

1 hour ago, Srpadget said:

Sliding down a long gentle slope on frictionless "landing legs" may be funny ONCE, but it gets old.

Sliding slowly up slope is what mine do. Nice joke Squad, very funny. Apparently that's fixed for 1,2, no word on friction generally not working as friction should though.

All the hype over Unity 5, and we get random CTDs.
All the hype over new wheels, we get something worse than in 1.0.x, and landing legs borked into the bargain.
All the hype over 1.2... let's see what new and exciting bugs we get this time around.

I'll get hyped when I have some reason to think the next release will come without crashes and funky new bugs, so I can actually play it. The most hype of all would be a new-stuff-free release that just fixes all the open bugs.

Right now I'm more excited over new mod releases, as when I discover a bug it actually gets fixed in a reasonable time-frame. A new KSP release is more foreboding than anticipation.

Edited by steve_v

18 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Sliding slowly up slope is what mine do. Nice joke Squad, very funny. Apparently that's fixed for 1,2, no word on friction generally not working as friction should though.

All the hype over Unity 5, and we get random CTDs.
All the hype over new wheels, we get something worse than in 1.0.x, and landing legs borked into the bargain.
All the hype over 1.2... let's see what new and exciting bugs we get this time around.

I'll get hyped when I have some reason to think the next release will come without crashes and funky new bugs, so I can actually play it. The most hype of all would be a new-stuff-free release that just fixes all the open bugs.

Right now I'm more excited over new mod releases, as when I discover a bug it actually gets fixed in a reasonable time-frame. A new KSP release is more foreboding than anticipation.

I'm way more optimistic :) Patches this past year has not been very good, true, but the dev team is quite different this go around, and many members of the modding community have joined as well. The dev notes have been really promising IMO -- they are giving attention to many of the things the fans have been asking for that the original dev team wasn't as responsive to.

After 1.2, all we need is a new career mode using one of the many, many different suggestions and ideas on this very forum, and a graphics update, and I'm set for a long, long time. Maybe in a year I'd even buy an expansion pack that had an alternate solar system, even a procedurally generated one.

19 minutes ago, Xavven said:

The dev notes have been really promising IMO -- they are giving attention to many of the things the fans have been asking for that the original dev team wasn't as responsive to.

Some like new features, and the devnotes do sound good in that regard. Me, I just want the rotten foundations fixed - for everything else (e.g. this new remotetech / scansat type thing) there are perfectly good mods.
Mods and stock features alike need a solid  foundation without the bugs, crashes, lousy performance and general jankiness we have been putting up with since early-access. We're not in alpha anymore, Toto.

As for post-1.2: Career mode still needs work, and graphics updates would be nice... but no matter how much gold paint you put on the pig, it's still a pig. After the engine / legacy spaghetti-code issues are fixed, sure.

Edited by steve_v
more, + spelling

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

It looks like they photoshopped it in and forgot to copy the dark side to me.

The shading looks fine, and the way the procedural craters along either edge would be consistent with the Mun as we know it. It's just deformed from being near the edge of the screen. Look at some of the stars above Jeb's portrait. Photoshopping in the Mun seems to me like quite a bit more trouble than it's worth.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

It looks like they photoshopped it in and forgot to copy the dark side to me.

It looks like Coruscant in the Phantom Menace :) 

(It might have got remastered later... Google refuses to show such things, but my version has a very oval planet with stars on the night side.)

26 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

It's a little deformed

Two things:

1. If that is a little deformed, then Antarctica is a little south of the Equator.
  2. I actually loaded the game to see what the Mun would look like from that far away, and that is actually how horribly deformed the Mun is when you're that far away and it's in that direction.
  3. (bonus!) This is like the wonky Kerbal eyes being way different sizes. I'll never be able to unsee this egg-shaped Mun (and any other planet).

Is there any info about how the CommNet-Feature will work? All I want to know is if I will have to setup relays like in RemoteTech or will it magically relays the signal automatically to the Ground Station? Maybe I missed that info but I couldn't find it ...

8 minutes ago, aerowook said:

Is there any info about how the CommNet-Feature will work? All I want to know is if I will have to setup relays like in RemoteTech or will it magically relays the signal automatically to the Ground Station? Maybe I missed that info but I couldn't find it ...

AFAIK it will be automatic. As long as you have a route to Kerbin you are connected no matter how many relays it takes. If a link dies, it will seamlessly connect through another. Only when there is no route at all will you lose connection.

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

I am 100% sure they will not - or rather, will not work as relays.  They will still work as direct antennas.

...err...what he said.  I suppose i meant they would be able to communicate. Seems there's one more wrinkle to consider. 

I look forward to it!

Edited by klgraham1013

8 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

Is this also the update that will give the rocket parts a retexture? Or did i miss-read that from somewhere?

Unfortunately, no. They've weaseled their way out of that for some reason. At least that's what it appears from the responses on the latest devnotes thread.

13 hours ago, Srpadget said:

Lots of talk in the last couple weeks about "wheels being fixed".  But very little solid info about what that *means*.  They could tweaked enough to be noticeably less-wonky than they are now, and still not be what a layperson would call "fixed".

I have a very specific focus, to tell the truth.  I actually don't PERSONALLY care much about "wheels" per se--I fly very few planes and I only use rovers for low-speed, local base support (fuel tankers, prospecting, maybe the occasional "collect readings in this area" contract).  So airplane gear and powered wheels are pretty easy to work around, for my playstyle.

I am actually FAR more interested in LANDING LEGS.  Does anyone know if they will once again be a useful option for, y'know, landing on?  Or will the best advice continue to be "fins, rocket nozzles, girders...there are lots of better things to land on"?  Sliding down a long gentle slope on frictionless "landing legs" may be funny ONCE, but it gets old.  And it makes the idea of a permanent base (say, to mine a particularly Ore-rich area) problematic to say the least.

I am still using 1.0.5.  Mostly because of the landing leg issue.

The fix to the wheels and legs (they are now functionally the same, one just doesn't have actual wheels attached) is the upgrade to Unity 5.4 and a new version of the Vehicle Physics Pro middleware.  The trouble with wheels in 1.1 came from Unity 5.2.4 having messed-up wheels colliders (among other things), as well as basic incompatibility with the way KSP does things, as summed up here.

Here's the relevant quote from @HarvesteR:

“The new wheels in Unity5 apparently still have a few issues of their own, which makes them very much unsuitable for their job of being wheels… They become unstable if other rigidbodies are attached to the wheeled body, which in our case means the other 100+ parts that make up the ship. Needless to say, that was a problem.”

The upgrades to Unity and VPP have resolved the issues, and as a result, as the devnotes for the past few weeks have said, @Arsonide has been able to remove all the hack fixes introduced in the 1.1 patches as workarounds for the problems (the much-hated wheel-blocking was actually one of the hack fixes). Well, all but one--the auto-strutting has been retained and furthur expanded into something like a KJR alternative due it being popular with certain Twitch KSP streamers. :)

The sliding-up-a-hill  and the exploding leg issues have been fixed as well.