[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

16 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Just a quick question - is it possible to disable the shadows on clouds? Not the shadows they cast themselves, but the shadow the planet casts on them? I'm trying to simulate glowing cloud layers.

Just set the minlevel to 0.5

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Just set the minlevel to 0.5

Thanks! I've been having trouble with getting some clouds to show up though... I suppose layerVolume is unsupported on gas giants?

Update: the layerVolume is NOT the problem.

Could anyone lend me a hand here? For some weird reason EVE downright refuses to load clouds on a specific gas giant. Even with the in-game GUI, no matter what I do it won't do anything. And yes, I added the deactivateDistance PQS.

If I need to supply any logfiles just tell me which ones. So frustrating when something refuses to work for no apparent reason. :huh:

I believe I once heard that the boxes that appear around trees etc was from an issue with EVE clouds. If so, is there a way to tweak the cfgs to start toggle shadow rendering at X meters altitude? I could happily get rid of the cloud shadows while landed or extremely low.

Edited by SkyKaptn

I found the exception in the logfile where EVE seems to have trouble:

[LOG 22:31:39.938] [EVE CloudsManager]: Unable to parse config node:
OBJECT
{
	speed = 0,0,0
	altitude = 32000
	body = Tursan
	name = TursanGlowLayer
	settings
	{
		_Color = 64,210,230,255
		_DetailScale = 8
		_MainTex
		{
			value = TotalRebuild/Textures/TursanCloud
		}
		_DetailTex
		{
			value = TotalRebuild/Textures/DetailCumulus
		}
	}
	layer2D
	{
		macroCloudMaterial
		{
			_MinLight = 0.5
		}
	}
}

[LOG 22:31:39.940] EVEManager: Issue loading CloudsManager! Error:
UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PQSManager.PQSManagerClass.ApplyConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.LoadConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[PQSManager.PQSWrapper].StaticSetup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PQSManager.PQSManagerClass.GetPQS (System.String body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.Apply (System.String body, Atmosphere.CloudsMaterial cloudsMaterial, Atmosphere.Clouds2D layer2D, Atmosphere.CloudsVolume layerVolume, Single altitude, Vector3d speed, Vector3d detailSpeed, Vector3 offset, Matrix4x4 rotationAxis, Boolean killBodyRotation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsObject.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsManager.ApplyConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GlobalEVEManager.Setup (Boolean late) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Granted, I have no idea what this stuff means but I have a gut feeling it's related to DeactivateDistance.

8 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

I found the exception in the logfile where EVE seems to have trouble:

[LOG 22:31:39.938] [EVE CloudsManager]: Unable to parse config node:
OBJECT
{
	speed = 0,0,0
	altitude = 32000
	body = Tursan
	name = TursanGlowLayer
	settings
	{
		_Color = 64,210,230,255
		_DetailScale = 8
		_MainTex
		{
			value = TotalRebuild/Textures/TursanCloud
		}
		_DetailTex
		{
			value = TotalRebuild/Textures/DetailCumulus
		}
	}
	layer2D
	{
		macroCloudMaterial
		{
			_MinLight = 0.5
		}
	}
}

[LOG 22:31:39.940] EVEManager: Issue loading CloudsManager! Error:
UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PQSManager.PQSManagerClass.ApplyConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[PQSManager.PQSWrapper].StaticSetup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PQSManager.PQSManagerClass.GetPQS (System.String body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsPQS.Apply (System.String body, Atmosphere.CloudsMaterial cloudsMaterial, Atmosphere.Clouds2D layer2D, Atmosphere.CloudsVolume layerVolume, Single altitude, Vector3d speed, Vector3d detailSpeed, Vector3 offset, Matrix4x4 rotationAxis, Boolean killBodyRotation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsObject.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsManager.ApplyConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GlobalEVEManager.Setup (Boolean late) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Granted, I have no idea what this stuff means but I have a gut feeling it's related to DeactivateDistance.

You could always just use my configs for Jool in SVE and tweak it to work for your planet. You just need to add volumetric clouds to it if you want it.  Although,  i figure it's impossible to get close enough to a gas giant to see the volumetric clouds so I don't see a reason for it. Even if you deactivate the distance,  you will only see a small hexagon shape of clouds being rendered below your vessel..  Not nearly as immersive as you are expecting I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

You could always just use my configs for Jool in SVE and tweak it to work for your planet. You just need to add volumetric clouds to it if you want it.  Although,  i figure it's impossible to get close enough to a gas giant to see the volumetric clouds so I don't see a reason for it. Even if you deactivate the distance,  you will only see a small hexagon shape of clouds being rendered below your vessel..  Not nearly as immersive as you are expecting I'm sure. 

I'm actually running on SVE there out of desperation. I found the problem though, this planet 'Tursan' is from a WIP solar-system replacing pack much like GPP. The problem was that I had an old DeactivateDistance PQS file for Jool lying around which, of course, no longer exists in this pack.

@Waz for a future update, can it be added that EVE ignores configurations for non-existent planets? Because right now this tiny config specifying something for a non-existent planet crashed clouds for all gas giants.

57 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

@Waz for a future update, can it be added that EVE ignores configurations for non-existent planets? Because right now this tiny config specifying something for a non-existent planet crashed clouds for all gas giants.

I second this. Having more than one EVE config nodes in the game database (be it for clouds, terrain, city lights etc) breaks EVE badly, even when they do not refer to a specific body (KSP loading is halted). It would also make installation and interoperation of cloud packs a bit (or a lot, depends on the configs) easier.

Hello & glad to see Eve is keep update cheers

1 small request if is possible in future: i will like to see an option to load manually different config file with out restart game
for example i have so many clouds.cfg file with different setting inside & it will be super helpfull if i will can load specific one directly from Eve UI, for sure i am not only one who thinkering with setting & have save many many config file just for backup :)

same like a suggestion for future if it will be possible to implement similar way like scatterer (scatterer\config\Planets\) use for have individual setting file for each planet in stead be 1 single file what have all

cheers & wave to all

28 minutes ago, Blacks said:

same like a suggestion for future if it will be possible to implement similar way like scatterer (scatterer\config\Planets\) use for have individual setting file for each planet in stead be 1 single file what have all

cheers & wave to all

You can do this already.  Just separate the planets into their own cfgs. 

As for being able to directly load cfgs from the EVE GUI,  why not just set it the way you want it once and just tinker with it if you ever want to make a change? I have been messing with EVE cfgs for a long time now and have never needed more than one cfg at a time. If I ever needed to load up an old cfg,  I have no issue restarting the game.  It's not that big of an inconvenience. 

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

You can do this already.  Just separate the planets into their own cfgs. 

from what i know Eve it load planet setting from 1 single file acording Eve UI & how code was made BUT if was made a change in how it working perfect is a good news & most visual pack it suppose to migrate with individual planet config file for more easy management :wink:
@Galileo well is good you was not encounter till now need to load a individual or a specific config :) me like one who was play, test with many visual pack what was release till now i can say i was like to have that option but is fine if it can be done good if not agen no problem it was a small request nothing more :wink:
One of many config file what pile up on my hdd
P0Mpqw0.png

Edited by Blacks

I have a question. How do you add clouds to custom planets? Do you just add this in with different values(just took Kerbin's and Copy/Pasted)?

EVE_CLOUDS
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Kerbin-clouds1
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 4000
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
			_MainTex
			{
				value = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/fair
				type = CubeMap
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			shadowMaterial
			{
			}
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_DetailDist = 2E-06
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			maxTranslation = 100,200,100
			size = 2000,2.2
			area = 18000,4
			noiseScale = 1.2,1.3,90
			particleMaterial
			{
				_Tex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
				_BumpMap = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/particle_NRM
				_LightScatter = 0.55
				_MinLight = 0.5
			}
		}
	}

1 minute ago, Axilourous said:

I have a question. How do you add clouds to custom planets? Do you just add this in with different values(just took Kerbin's and Copy/Pasted)?

EVE_CLOUDS
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Kerbin-clouds1
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 4000
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		settings
		{
			_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
			_MainTex
			{
				value = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/fair
				type = CubeMap
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			shadowMaterial
			{
			}
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_DetailDist = 2E-06
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			maxTranslation = 100,200,100
			size = 2000,2.2
			area = 18000,4
			noiseScale = 1.2,1.3,90
			particleMaterial
			{
				_Tex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
				_BumpMap = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/particle_NRM
				_LightScatter = 0.55
				_MinLight = 0.5
			}
		}
	}

You can do that but you obviously need to change the name body name and rename the clouds if you want

Yeah, I know, in my question I stated "add this in with different values"

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: what does detailSpeed mean, and what does each value change(or is it X,Y,Z)?

Edited by Axilourous
questions

You can add a cloud detail texture that makes your main clouds look more detailed the XYZ controls the speed and direction in which the detail clouds are moving

The default Eve configurations are very basic and don't utilize everything that it can. If you want a better example go look at how sve does it

Edited by Galileo

@Axilourous to edit / add / modifie cloud you need to learn to use Eve UI (manager) & for that is no guide or manual to explain each section is there, but with little patience you can discover by yourself, it will take a time but you will do it
To open Eve Manager press ALT + 0
TDYKut9.png

so, it took some time to get EVE working, looked extremely nice, but the performance drop was huge. I'm sad cuz my game runs at 2 fps. I did remember seeing a mod for computers like mine

EDIT: ah, I found it, Para-Sci High-Performance Atmosphere Pack didn't even know it was in this thread, I found it in the SVE thread

EDIT2: sooo, still laggy, but still way better than without it.

Edited by Axilourous

@Axilourous - well, done, it's quite an achievement getting a mod working without reading the first post in the thread ;-) (sorry for the sarcasm, couldn't help it - it's amazing how many people would rather bash their heads against a wall rather than read the manual, and I'm often one of them).

53 minutes ago, Waz said:

@Axilourous - well, done, it's quite an achievement getting a mod working without reading the first post in the thread ;-) (sorry for the sarcasm, couldn't help it - it's amazing how many people would rather bash their heads against a wall rather than read the manual, and I'm often one of them).

me too, but I usually read anyway. I did read it, it didn't work for some reason, found out I needed scatterer... I got it then completely didabled it. Then I got Para-Sci High-Performance Atmosphere Pack, and then I didn't need scatterer, lol

Is it possible to make Aurora's only visible at night? Currently they shine on both the day side and the night and it's getting a bit distracting in my editing :P Only a minor complaint though.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

@Avera9eJoe from what i know you can't turn off / on a cloud layer from UI but for a quick solution when you are thinkering, if that it distract you, make that to be 100% transparent or set altitude value to 0 (ground, not know if it can be set negative value) or ad a very small scale value till you done but make self not to set back value when you done :) with it be ze most hard part :D

p.s. a toggle off / on cloud layer it will be a nice future to be implement :cool:

Edited by Blacks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.