[KSP 1.12.1+] Galileo's Planet Pack [v1.6.6] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Ok, well, after two days of putzing around in sandbox with the official 3.2x config for GPP, I've uninstalled it twice. And put it back twice. And still not launched a career.

Man, I'm so torn on this one! :huh:

Managed to wrestle a heavy variant of Cap'n Jack to orbit with all of 37m/s left after delivering it's pittance ha'penny of cargo. And that was with SMURFF, set to 0.2 as recommended for 3.2x a couple of pages back. Then I realised that SMURFF is almost certainly not compatible with KR&D, since both of them change the stats on parts at run time (or at least during game launch)... so away went SMURFF and I'm back to suspecting that a stock mk2 plane will never reach LGO, and mk3 might not actually be any better off. They're close, but no kelp, as kerbals say.

On the other paw, as kerbals also say, what's the point of having all these modded parts in my game if stock components are good enough? This seems like precisely the sort of problem that will actually make me use Karbonite, Near Future, B9, and Space Y, rather than just sticking with a stock aesthetic as is my wont. 

So now I'm debating how to kick this career off...

• 3.2x GPP
  • KR&D, probably with a modded config as per last time (higher initial investment, smaller increments, lower repeated cost scaling)
  • A personal rule not to use KR&D until the tree is fully unlocked. Hopefully this will make me try a wider range of parts, rather than supercharging nervas and rapiers.
  • Karbonite, B9, Near Future, Space Y, DMagic Science and Rover Science
  • 100% funding because I will be going big and loud! :D 
  • 10% science income because ignorance is bliss. Also because I pulled nearly half a million science points last game at 20%.
  • 40% heating because it seems to be about right from my testing.
  • Surface samples rejiggered to be worth 10x default value before 10% is applied; i.e. standard 'normal' value in a very lean game. Getting boots on the ground is the best possible thing to do.
  • Starting with the first two tiers of the (community tech tree) and everything in the planes branch up to turbojets. Because turbojets will do literally nothing to help my space program. They'll mean I can do Gael surveys in a reasonable time and up to reasonable altitudes, but that's it. (Theoretically I can also drop drones onto Tellumo quite early and polute it with Gaellean microbes, but I refuse to feel bad about that :P )

What do we think my chances are of making a go of it? By which I mean returning rocks from all planets. Because I have just this moment decided to refer to this career as Seaside Rock. Yes, my kerbals are on a quest to find new flavourings and colourants for their favourite sweet snacks, and that is quite justification enough to send crews into space for decades at a time.

The challenge planets are going to be extra hard, but that basically just means leaving them till last. Rather than last time where I did an Eve return before bothering with the outer planets mod :)  Spaceplanes will happen eventually, but only after all things are available. Tellumo spaceplanes will probably never happen, but we'll see :P 

...or do I bottle it and stick with 1x because I'm a chickenly chicken and I hate new things?

Chickeny chicken. You krak(en) me up @eddiew. You should indeed do 3.2x. You've hyped us up. If you're indeed afraid of an upscaled system you can probe @The White Guardian's wonderful Planet Cyran. It's (virtually OPM to our stock) GPP-ready except for an EVE conflict (his own will disable ours...or has it been fixed? ). If you're satisfied despite that that's a whole 10 more worlds to visit right between Gratian and Otho. 

@TheUnamusedFox those pics though! I love everything! 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

GPP-ready except for an EVE conflict (his own will disable ours...or has it been fixed?

If he sends me his cfgs,  I can get it working. I recently made an OPM cloud cfg for someone that worked right alongside of SVE. No conflicts. I wonder what he could have done differently?

5 hours ago, eddiew said:

*snip*

I tried it aswel and discoverd something that I was not expecting that I just continued with stock size:

SMURFF doesn`t reduces tanks weights in 1.2.2. All tank dry and wet mass remain the same and only engines scale up.
Maybe some mod is setting a final MM in their patch, but god knows which one as I not going to spend 4 days searching lol

Load with and without SMURFF and see if it gets applied correctly.

2 minutes ago, Kamuchi said:

I tried it aswel and discoverd something that I was not expecting that I just continued with stock size:

SMURFF doesn`t reduces tanks weights in 1.2.2. All tank dry and wet mass remain the same and only engines scale up.
Maybe some mod is setting a final MM in their patch, but god knows which one as I not going to spend 4 days searching lol

Load with and without SMURFF and see if it gets applied correctly.

You may wish to try that again as I installed SMURFF and did see the gains in 10X scale (2500+m/s dV increase on the basic rocket I made to see). However, there are some parts from mods where it is not applied, for those, you will need to edit the SMURFF .cfg to add those parts. Look on the SMURFF thread for the instructions (also make sure you have the latest version of SMURFF 1.5.5). Even with that though, there are a couple of errors w/ MM & SMURFF that I am trying to nail down. (And SMURFF could use an update, it's being worked on.)

Unfortunately, playing in larger scales in KSP is not a simple "plug & play" process, it requires some homework ;-)

5 minutes ago, RocketPCGaming said:

You may wish to try that again as I installed SMURFF and did see the gains in 10X scale (2500+m/s dV increase on the basic rocket I made to see). However, there are some parts from mods where it is not applied, for those, you will need to edit the SMURFF .cfg to add those parts. Look on the SMURFF thread for the instructions (also make sure you have the latest version of SMURFF 1.5.5). Even with that though, there are a couple of errors w/ MM & SMURFF that I am trying to nail down. (And SMURFF could use an update, it's being worked on.)

Unfortunately, playing in larger scales in KSP is not a simple "plug & play" process, it requires some homework ;-)

I know and I tested it on the stock 1.25 fuel tank.
Did apply MM patches do different mods so I know how it works, just finding stuff in 5.000 cfg`s that some have 10.000 is a pita :x

12 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

What does Sigma Dimensions do? Is that only for the rescales? Or does it do anything for stock scale as well?

It's typically only for rescales, but you can have fun with it and make your landscape more exaggerated or make your buildings really big or small.  There are a lot of things you can do with stock scale too.  

Thanks Galileo. This is some incredible stuff you guys have put together here. Like others im contemplating exactly how i want to go about the exploration of this system. Playing a whole new game. I hope Squad can up the stock eye candy one of these days. This is what the Kerbol system should be.

Edited by Motokid600

<sigh> I figured this would be happening sooner or later.  I've been playing KSP non-stop for a few months, and GPP since a couple weeks after initial release.  I'm getting burned out on the game in general (has nothing to do with GPP guys, so don't think this mod has ANYTHING to do with my decision), and am probably going to shelve it for a bit while I try playing something else.

I just mainly wanted to pop in and let ya'll know why I probably won't be posting many reports or screenies over the next indefinite amount of time.  I will most likely still be here in the forums (it's one of the more decent places to be), keeping up to date on things, and I may, once in a while, play for a couple hours, but for now, I think I'm going to have to take a break.

8 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

How'd you do this?

\GameData\Squad\Resources\ScienceDefs.cfg

Unless I'm much mistaken, these settings will fiddle the value of it:

id = surfaceSample
    title = Surface Sample
    baseValue = 30
    scienceCap = 40
    dataScale = 1

...it's possible I'm wrong, I've just been assuming these do what they say on the tin /shrug

7 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Chickeny chicken. You krak(en) me up @eddiew. You should indeed do 3.2x. You've hyped us up. If you're indeed afraid of an upscaled system you can probe @The White Guardian's wonderful Planet Cyran. It's (virtually OPM to our stock) GPP-ready except for an EVE conflict (his own will disable ours...or has it been fixed? ). If you're satisfied despite that that's a whole 10 more worlds to visit right between Gratian and Otho. 

@TheUnamusedFox those pics though! I love everything! 

6 hours ago, Galileo said:

If he sends me his cfgs,  I can get it working. I recently made an OPM cloud cfg for someone that worked right alongside of SVE. No conflicts. I wonder what he could have done differently?

Wait, EVE conflict? I wasn't aware of any, and they shouldnt' cause any conflicts since the cloud configurations only use textures that come with Cyran, and do not alter any existing bodies. I'll take a look at GPP's code, see if I can push out a version tailored for GPP compatibility, such as using the cloud textures of GPP to reduce the amount of stuff loaded.

4 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Wait, EVE conflict? I wasn't aware of any, and they shouldnt' cause any conflicts since the cloud configurations only use textures that come with Cyran, and do not alter any existing bodies. I'll take a look at GPP's code, see if I can push out a version tailored for GPP compatibility, such as using the cloud textures of GPP to reduce the amount of stuff loaded.

Ok I was wondering what conflict it could have been.  I haven't tried cyan with all of its visual stuff yet so I haven't seen any conflicts. And GPP more or less uses the same textures as SVE. So it should be simple to port over but I'm not sure it needs to be.  Technically it should work right out of the box

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Ok I was wondering what conflict it could have been.  I haven't tried cyan with all of its visual stuff yet so I haven't seen any conflicts. And GPP more or less uses the same textures as SVE. So it should be simple to port over but I'm not sure it needs to be.  Technically it should work right out of the box

Same thing I was thinking. I'll load the two mods together and see what's up. Since I'm running an SSD loading times are but a few seconds for me anyways.

I'm also planning on using more original cloud textures in the next update as I'm getting the hang of EVE, here's what I did with that minLight trick you told me:

kSbPUux.png

Edited by The White Guardian

@The White Guardian before you publish any changes, please give me some time today to develop a few little additions for Cyran as well. I posted a picture in your thread where Cyran (safely merges its Scatterer configuration to GPP's and) now receives eclipses from its moons, and I might want to adjust its Flight Globals Index patch. Here's where you posted the fixed fix for GPP/Cyran/Dres.

Please give me until Saturday morning to round things up. Also, the Cyran image in your signature links to itself not the thread. :P 

12 minutes ago, adamaaron said:

will this mod support Kerbal Side GAP? It would be fun that having business flight on Gael :D

No it doesn't,  unfortunately.  That would take A LOT of work to move all of those statics to the location of scatterer.  

Now,  if kerbal konstructs could implement something to recognize where the space center was and automatically move the statics,  it could be done easily.  But I'm unsure if that is possible. 

I can bring it up with the dev

Edited by Galileo

I can almost guarantee that this has been asked before, but I cannot get SVE and EVE to work with this mod. I've installed the included visual mods, and they do not work what so ever. 

If this has been solved beforehand, please link the page it was on. Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Doctor_E said:

I can almost guarantee that this has been asked before, but I cannot get SVE and EVE to work with this mod. I've installed the included visual mods, and they do not work what so ever. 

If this has been solved beforehand, please link the page it was on. Thanks!

post your logs and a pic of your gamedata folder. If you are not seeing clouds in the main menu, thats normal. you have to go in game to see the clouds

Edited by Galileo

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

post your logs and a pic of your gamedata folder. If you are not seeing clouds in the main menu, thats normal. you have to go in game to see the clouds

Which logs specifically?

Edit: I'm stupid, sorry. Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gk9u7pueqefgy3n/output_log.txt?dl=0

Here's my gamedata folder (and no, the clouds don't show up in game):

JKEOpSH.png

Edited by Doctor_E