Gotmachine

[1.8] MandatoryRCS 1.8 & Part Pack 1.4 - Reaction wheels nerf, SAS persistence, rotation in timewarp

14 hours ago, NuclearDrifting said:

How do I get the tiny RCS? I downloaded the 1.8 and it didn't include the parts, so I downloaded the 1,7 version and added the parts and the files for them and they still aren't in the game.How do I get the tiny RCS? I downloaded the 1.8 and it didn't include the parts, so I downloaded the 1,7 version and added the parts and the files for them and they still aren't in the game.

The parts pack is a separate mod.  While it makes sense to use them together either can be installed and used without the other - they are installed separately.

Not functioning properly in 1.9. Reaction wheels of any kind cannot be controlled and do not provide stability assist. I want nerfed reaction wheels but I still want them to actually exist as a gameplay element.

10 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

Not functioning properly in 1.9. Reaction wheels of any kind cannot be controlled and do not provide stability assist. I want nerfed reaction wheels but I still want them to actually exist as a gameplay element.

Here's what I use... or used to use, haven't tested yet later than KSP1.7.3:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// 1. reduce capsule/probe/cockpit torque forces by 99% ---
//    that should take care of the probes, too ---
//
// first pass, *all* reaction wheels to 0.5 = 50%
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel]]:BEFORE[Corax]{
  @MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel]{
    @PitchTorque *= 0.5
    @YawTorque *= 0.5
    @RollTorque *= 0.5
  }
}
// second pass, non-dedicated parts to 0.5*0.02 = 1%
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]{
  @MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel]{
    @PitchTorque *= 0.02
    @YawTorque *= 0.02
    @RollTorque *= 0.02
  }
}
// finally, (airplane) cockpits usually don't have reaction wheels at all
// create exceptions for non-airplanes if/when necessary
@PART[*ockpit*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel]]:FINAL{
  -MODULE[ModuleReactionWheel]{}
}

Unless something changed in MM, I don't see why it shouldn't still work. I'm just slowly catching up with all the changes since 1.7 ; )

On 3/4/2020 at 3:19 AM, Corax said:

stuff

I appreciate it but I'm not very handy so I'll wait until the mod is updated.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

I appreciate it but I'm not very handy so I'll wait until the mod is updated.

No worries. All you should need to do is open a text editor (probably called Notepad if you're on Windows), copy the code I posted into it, and save as a new file under KSP/GameData, with a file extension of ".cfg". I suggest having a directory under GameData for your own, local patches. You might name it "LocalPatches", or "AutolyzedYeastExtract", for example. For good measure, when you are done, copy (not move) that directory somewhere else where you can find it later, because when KSP updates it might get removed.

If you have ModuleManager installed, which is likely if you have any mods installed at all, it will pick it up automatically the next time you launch KSP. If you don't have MM installed, the patch will just sit there, and nothing will change in your game.

PS.:

Oh, and when you save the file as something.cfg, you may or may not get a warning about the file extension (ignore it), I haven't used Windows in over a decade, and no idea at all about MacOS if that's what you're using.

Edited by Corax

Posted (edited)

I am orbiting mun and after docking my probe with another probe, my reactions wheels seem to provide rotation although I have the settings set to NONE. Is it a bug?

I didn't have rotation before docking.

I am 1.8.1

Edited by Agustin

Posted (edited)

Just now I realized I commented about problems I encountered but did not come back to properly thank you for fixes @Gotmachine  

So thank you. :) 

Edit: Sadly I cannot help or say anything regarding problems encountered by others here as I haven’t played since 1.7. 

Edited by Jognt

Posted (edited)

Hi @Gotmachine, does this mod compatible with remote tech flight manager +(signal delay) ? 

It seems flight manager still use rcs even after it's already in correct attitude, wasting so many monoprop. 

Maybe I just disable the rcs and use the reaction wheel and wait the vehicle turning, or its better to use stock sas and get a probe with higher sas capability? 

Edited by Parallax9

40 minutes ago, Parallax9 said:

does this mod compatible with remote tech flight manager +(signal delay) ?

Any mod that use it's own attitude controller instead of the stock SAS will indeed not benefit from the craft reaction wheels (MechJeb, TCA, kOS...)
Not sure how the RT flight manager does it, so I can't say for sure but it is probable that it will run into the same issue as those mods.
So yep, try to use the stock SAS as much as possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.