Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

38 minutes ago, Kokoro said:

It should also be noted that people from "Friesland" are not obsessed with chips.

XD. Never noticed that one,

8 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

I HATE MY 24//7 MIGRAINE

LIKE SUPER MUCH

Get well soon pal!

When you need to search for some info, but there is too much "search noise" to get an even remotely usable search result.

An example? Searching for tape meters... Google and the like all assume you're talking about tape measures. Adding parameters... +Space shuttle + NASA -measure... It BARELY helps... It's such a chore to find stuff like that. Same for some obscure old computer equipment... Especially if the company is still around... Good luck finding ANY info on old Epson Apple II clone hardware and disk drives. Nothing but modern printers, page after page of search results.

Lately, I've been trying to figure out some details about how KSP's atmospheric density display under the altimeter works..., and how the KSP serial IO plugins transmit the data over USB. My searches keep getting derailed, cause the Wiki doesn't quite have the info formatted in a way that really applies to the way the plugin is using it, and the forum search is... Well... Pthhht! :huh:

I may just have to skim 78 pages of a forum thread, and hope the info is somewhere in there... :/

Edited by richfiles

5 hours ago, richfiles said:

When you need to search for some info, but there is too much "search noise" to get an even remotely usable search result.

An example? Searching for tape meters... Google and the like all assume you're talking about tape measures. Adding parameters... +Space shuttle + NASA -measure... It BARELY helps... It's such a chore to find stuff like that. Same for some obscure old computer equipment... Especially if the company is still around... Good luck finding ANY info on old Epson Apple II clone hardware and disk drives. Nothing but modern printers, page after page of search results.

Lately, I've been trying to figure out some details about how KSP's atmospheric density display under the altimeter works..., and how the KSP serial IO plugins transmit the data over USB. My searches keep getting derailed, cause the Wiki doesn't quite have the info formatted in a way that really applies to the way the plugin is using it, and the forum search is... Well... Pthhht! :huh:

I may just have to skim 78 pages of a forum thread, and hope the info is somewhere in there... :/

https://qntm.org/bandnames

:)

Maybe i can help here:

5 hours ago, richfiles said:

Try duckduckgo. Less noise than google and no tracking (they say).

An example? Searching for tape meters... Google and the like all assume you're talking about tape measures. Adding parameters... +Space shuttle + NASA -measure... It BARELY helps... It's such a chore to find stuff like that.

Hmm, i have problems too here. Where do you see the link between tape and meters ? Do you want to know how long the storage tapes of the mainframes were at the time ?

Same for some obscure old computer equipment... Especially if the company is still around... Good luck finding ANY info on old Epson Apple II clone hardware and disk drives. Nothing but modern printers, page after page of search results.

Well, either Epson or Apple II. Distinct things, the Apple ][ was a desktop, Epson had/has a reputation as a printer manufacturer. Afaik Epson didn't have an Apple ][ clone ... i think. If you can specify what you're looking for (like "interface" or "parallel port" or "rs232" ...) you might be more lucky. Now i have the sound of a needle printer in my head. Shall i post this in the earworm-thread :-)) ?

Can't help with the density display, though, sorry ...

Edited by Green Baron

To search a specific info on a computer of somebody else who don't realy understand what tracking and cookies mean....

I was searching for "suspension methods, heavy objects, swingable"... like 4000kg object.... on a work pc....

Around 40k hits... best was "suspended fatty in wild play".... at a COMPANY PC...

Head -> desk ...:blush:

And i has a talk with a supervisor for trying to visit a shop side of the company disliked support shop...

Edited by Urses

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Hmm, i have problems too here. Where do you see the link between tape and meters ? Do you want to know how long the storage tapes of the mainframes were at the time ?

Well, either Epson or Apple II. Distinct things, the Apple ][ was a desktop, Epson had/has a reputation as a printer manufacturer. Afaik Epson didn't have an Apple ][ clone ... i think. If you can specify what you're looking for (like "interface" or "parallel port" or "rs232" ...) you might be more lucky. Now i have the sound of a needle printer in my head. Shall i post this in the earworm-thread :-)) ?

A photo of a Space shuttle tape meter (from the pre-glass cockpit Space Shuttle). Tape meters are literal readouts, as in, meters, gauges, readouts, etc, not as in a unit of distance. Rather than a pointer moving over a fixed scale, you had a fixed pointer, with a tape (either a continuous loop, or on two reels) with a scale much larger than the display window. By scrolling the tape scale passed the window and fixed pointer, you could indicate a much larger range of values than a fixed meter, I'm building one for my KSP instrument panel's radar altimeter. The tape meter shown below is actually 4 meters: The left most meter is a standard analog meter, with a moving pointer. The three meters tot he right though, are tape meters. The orange pointer is fixed, and the scale moves behind it.
shuttle_AVVI_sim_600.jpgAVVI_in1_600.jpg

Epson AP-200 Apple II Disk Drive... It's amazing how HARD Google works to give you ANYTHING but that device as a search result.
*last message was worded poorly... There was NO info on the Apple II clone shown... It's not Apple, but even rips off the Open Apple and Closed Apple keys.
apple9.jpg

Edited by richfiles

Now this is really aggravating! It's been what now... over a month since hurricane Irma? And they STILL haven't picked up all the debris! And even worse, people are starting to take advantage of the situation... :mad:

Check it out, this is a story this morning from our local news:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2017/10/24/irma_debris_still_pi.html

36 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Now this is really aggravating! It's been what now... over a month since hurricane Irma? And they STILL haven't picked up all the debris!

It takes a long time for that much debris to get picked up.  There's still piles from Harvey around here.  Some of the stuff needs to be gone over by insurance companies or FEMA inspectors before it can be disposed of, as well.

36 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

And even worse, people are starting to take advantage of the situation...

Welcome to humanity.  If there's a situation, someone will try to figure out how to benefit from it.

16 minutes ago, razark said:

Welcome to humanity.  If there's a situation, someone will try to figure out how to benefit from it.

^^this... and we stay here and ask us why nobody has visited us....

Wow, @richfiles, thanks ! Didn't know that with the tape meter, technical details of a foreign language ;-)

Never heard of the Epson AP-200. Duckduckgo doesn't show links either. Rare part apparently ... is it only the drive or the whole computer ?

Edited by Green Baron

I'm starting to think that my windowless work environment was done with the purpose of not giving me anything to chuck over-engineered POS equipment through.

The Burroughs SmartSource is the source of 90% of my work related grievances.  Not that any of you know what the [multiple deleted expletives] thing is, I'm sure.

10 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Wow, @richfiles, thanks ! Didn't know that with the tape meter, technical details of a foreign language ;-)

Never heard of the Epson AP-200. Duckduckgo doesn't show links either. Rare part apparently ... is it only the drive or the whole computer ?

Yeah, it took even me a while to stumble upon those tape meters... I have a pair of test instruments with tape meters in them (but they are not numbered the way I'd like, so I need to print new tapes). Had I known, I could have been working on them for far longer than I have. As for the Epson thing... I think that's just the disk drive. No idea who made the computer. The person who owns that machine had to repair the computer without a replacement for the bad chip. They had to reverse engineer the way the keyboard worked, and recreate the chip using an Arduino!  That Apple II clone's keyboard controller has more processing power than the entire computer! :rolleyes:

As for my complaint... I actually had some good news! The person that made the KSP serial plugin was able to enlighten me on how the plugin handles atmospheric density... It's a raw value in units of kg/m^3. That's fine... Except now I need to look up the ASL atmospheric density for every planet or moon with an atmosphere, program it into my controller, and have it calculate the ratio so it can output an analog value to my Atmospheric Density meter. It's good information... It just means a load of extra work for me, and specifically int he area I'm weak in... programming. I can do this hardware stuff practically blindfolded... Programming... I really have little to no grasp on C. It just isn't sticking to my grey matter. :(

Just a reminder that I'm gonna someday finish building this sweet Kerbal instrument panel... and then realize I need to learn how to program it before I can even use the thing! ;.;

Edited by richfiles

11 hours ago, razark said:

It takes a long time for that much debris to get picked up.  There's still piles from Harvey around here.  Some of the stuff needs to be gone over by insurance companies or FEMA inspectors before it can be disposed of, as well.

I understand that... and under normal circumstances this would be true... but this time we didn't get hit that bad! Yes, the power was out for a few days (and that sucked :P), but Irma was barely a cat-2 when it got here, and there wasn't that much damage or flooding... not like storms we've had in years past. That's what folk around here are upset about. 

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

...this time we didn't get hit that bad!

Ah.  Honestly, I didn't really follow the news on what was going on over there in any detail, since I was kind of busy dealing with the aftermath here.  Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as what people were fearing.

(And we didn't even lose power where I was.  Everything in the fridge and freezer was fine when we finally made it back.  Houses lost, yes.  Power?  Just fine. :confused:)

7 minutes ago, razark said:

Did you try putting quotes around phrases?

https://www.google.com/search?q=%2B"space+shuttle"+%2B"tape+meter"

You realize those are almost exclusively my doing? I counted 41 images that I posted, or videos that I posted on that page, before Google drifts off into showing jewelry. Freakin' Google, man... Literally links right back to this very forum! After enough times dropping images I've posted here into the Google images search by URL function... Well, at least Google is learning something... :rolleyes:

And yeah... Much of what Isn't my own postings, is just pictures of the shuttle, or mission reports, or wide shots of the cockpit. Very little on there is actually about tape meters. The irony, I I link to several prominent space websites to get the few pictures and info I have. Google doesn't even bother to link directly... It goes through the Kerbal forums first... To get to pictures hot linked from a dedicated space tech website... :confused:

Edited by richfiles

1 minute ago, richfiles said:

You realize those are almost exclusively my doing?

Nope.  All I know if that you didn't mention trying that, so I asked if you did.

I did note a lot of the images linked to the KSP forum, but I honestly didn't care enough to see who posted what. 

Yeah, I have tried quotes and stuff. I know all those tricks. I even have gone into the advanced search... Google is just oblivious to the fact that tape meters are a thing, outside of my incessant searches and link backs through the forum.

Ok.  I tend to try the obvious solutions first.  One of the things I've learned from tech support and other work: "Never assume the user knows what they're doing, even if they literally are a rocket scientist."

I had to walk one user through opening and using Notepad this week.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:26 PM, razark said:

I had to walk one user through opening and using Notepad this week.

And now you're on topic... cause that is most certainly both a noteworthy complaint, and a great reason to practice your "groaning in disgust" at terrible, terrible pun skills. :D

Edited by richfiles
I don't even feel bad for that horrible pun

9 hours ago, richfiles said:

I really have little to no grasp on C. It just isn't sticking to my grey matter. :(

I am not a programmer and it has been a long time since i last did C programming. But if you send me (or post here) a specification of what goes in, what goes out and what to do in between i can give it a try. Just no fancy graphic i/o, please :-)