SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, mikegarrison said:

No, this whole conversation was started by a discussion about a thermal test involving the second stage leading to a need to use the drone ship to land the first stage instead of returning to the launch site. If they were testing something on Dragon wouldn't they have said that?

Yeah, this is a second stage test, not something on Dragon.

The Air Force is another customer interested in longer duration for stage 2, so this could also be about that (there's a restart at the end for disposal, but it could be a restart for circularization for a customer if it was used on a mission).

New page:

6 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

No, this whole conversation was started by a discussion about a thermal test involving the second stage leading to a need to use the drone ship to land the first stage instead of returning to the launch site. If they were testing something on Dragon wouldn't they have said that?

Understand, however how do they test it on secondary stage. 
Yes you can measure temperature below the heat shield during reentry but can you send the data back?  

If its long term duration of second stage, yes that can be done in orbit after you release payload. This can be done with either larger battery or energy saving tricks, 

Edited by magnemoe

I guess we all should have read this: https://spaceflightnow.com/2019/12/03/long-duration-coast-experiment-on-tap-after-falcon-9-launch-wednesday/

The thermal test is on the second stage, but it's not about re-entry. It's about testing the effect of a long coast phase for the second stage.

5 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, this is a second stage test, not something on Dragon.

The Air Force is another customer interested in longer duration for stage 2, so this could also be about that (there's a restart at the end for disposal, but it could be a restart for circularization for a customer if it was used on a mission).

That is exactly what it is about, according to the article I just linked.

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

I guess we all should have read this: https://spaceflightnow.com/2019/12/03/long-duration-coast-experiment-on-tap-after-falcon-9-launch-wednesday/

The thermal test is on the second stage, but it's not about re-entry. It's about testing the effect of a long coast phase for the second stage.

That makes a lots of sense.

34 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

That is exactly what it is about, according to the article I just linked.

Yeah, I was just basing it on what was said at the press conference. Made it seem like it was duration on orbit testing to me.

2 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

Is that an old Dragon 2 photo from the Demo flight or is it currently standing there?

That's from the DM-1---he's asking for people who are there now to get that angle, since Starliner is on the pad right now.

Also:

4 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Probably depends on the contract with the customer.

Yes, if mission is not time critical, they get an discount and SpaceX can scrub if landing is to hard. If critical its more expensive. ISS missions can be launched often and is not very time critical so. 

Funny thing is, I was just wondering about this yesterday. How much does a customer have to pay to make SpaceX change from a pad landing to a ship landing? Ship landing adds more weather constraints so increases the chance of a scrub (as we see today). More ship landings have failed, so statistically there is probably a higher risk associated with a ship landing, which could mean SpaceX charges more for it.

35 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Funny thing is, I was just wondering about this yesterday. How much does a customer have to pay to make SpaceX change from a pad landing to a ship landing? Ship landing adds more weather constraints so increases the chance of a scrub (as we see today). More ship landings have failed, so statistically there is probably a higher risk associated with a ship landing, which could mean SpaceX charges more for it.

Cost of sending out a droneship + supporting crew = 1 million

Maybe 2 million?

4 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Maybe 2 million?

The problem is if the booster misses it's that +whatever the booster costed +building a new one in its place.

49 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

How many ASDS landings have failed once they worked it out? The 2 FH center cores? Any others? RTLS is mission dependent, they have to have the margin for boostback. The numbers I recall seeing are 40% payload mass to LEO reduction for RTLS, and 18% for ASDS.

12 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Maybe 2 million?

No way it's that high.