SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

22 minutes ago, Piscator said:

Are you sure? The other flap could be bent in the opposite direction to not offset the center of mass.

I'm pretty sure the flaps can't fold in that direction, they're limited by the fairing around the actuator.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

That was a nice launch/landing video. I don't mind at all that they don't cover the payload heading to orbit, since we get more shots of the booster. It was interesting to see the two shots during the boostback burn, since the shot out the front of the booster showed that it was pointed toward the ground, which makes sense, but which I'd never gotten a feel for before. And RTLS is always great for better coverage. Not too much dust obscuration on the landing pad made for a beautiful landing sequence. I approve.

11 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I know, right? PR videos are exactly the opposite of what a spy satellite agency should be spending money on.

Yeah, it's odd that they have one at all... though I suppose it's more to try and recruit people than anything else.

Shorter pitch:

"We do cool stuff, and work with awesome companies like Rocket Lab and SpaceX—we'd tell you what we do, but we'd have to kill you! Apply now!"

Edited by tater

Just now, tater said:

Yeah, it's odd that they have one at all... though I suppose it's more to try and recruit people than anything else.

I posted that before I watched it. It was clearly a recruiting video. I assume that means they are in a hiring mode right now.

30 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

It was interesting to see the two shots during the boostback burn, since the shot out the front of the booster showed that it was pointed toward the ground, which makes sense, but which I'd never gotten a feel for before. And RTLS is always great for better coverage. Not too much dust obscuration on the landing pad made for a beautiful landing sequence. I approve.

You'll probably enjoy this, then.  They released an uncut? (hard to tell, but definitely sped up) video from the booster cam (with sound!) of the SAOCOM 1B launch, which was the polar launch from Florida.

So... The cloud that gets kicked up by a landing booster... How much of that is just loose material that has accumulated on the pad, how much of it is material eroded off of the pad surface by the exhaust blast, and how much of it is particulates that form from the exhaust when it interacts with the pad surface? Anybody know?

41 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

So... The cloud that gets kicked up by a landing booster... How much of that is just loose material that has accumulated on the pad, how much of it is material eroded off of the pad surface by the exhaust blast, and how much of it is particulates that form from the exhaust when it interacts with the pad surface? Anybody know?

I do not have any concrete information but I would think that nearly all of it would be dust accumulated on the pad.