SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, bearnard1244 said:

I knot, that the landing part was not the aim of the mission but still, it spoilt a bit the whole picture of the test.

It's a test. Some say that the explosive ones are the best. Use up all your bad luck now.

But still, going up to 12.5 km, hovering on one engine (at 12.5 km up over the Earth), then at least making all that aerodynamic flop (108 deg AoA to 90 deg AoA to 180 deg AoA) are all very good IMO.

12 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The ankle rotates the shoe, the toe slides through the shoe, the ankle locks against the shin, and the sole makes contact, distributing force between the heel and the toe. The load path goes from the toe to the shin and from the heel to the ankle.

The question I have is with the exhaust interaction - how heat-resistant does the landing leg has to be ? It's brief, but I guess you'd like it if you know how many cycles it can last. Having things that protrude within the 9 m diameter looks pretty daring.

Edited by YNM

46 minutes ago, bearnard1244 said:

So, guys, it`s very pleasant to chat with you here and I wanna share with you some information about the latest inventions from Space X. Musk has determined that the water ice locked in the Martian substrata is fuel. As such Musk is building the first industrial-scale water separator, smaller than a submarine, to create breathable Oxygen and Hydrogen which can be liquified and turned into fuel. After which the astronauts can drink the dirt.Now if Musk could just figure out how to launch the water separator and Hydrogen and Oxygen containment tanks and processing hardware that all together is about as large as a submarine at least.  What do you think about that statement of Elon Musk?

If it's small enough to fit inside Starship, then no problem! If it's too big, then they'll deliver it in pieces, and then build it on Du--Mars.

Any job is always 95% complete. The troubles hide in other 5%.

The separator should be first tested in the Earth polar desert in at least 3 year long (the Mars expedition) troubleless test.

P.S.
I still insist that such plant should be titled not as "Life Support System", but as "Life Support & Self Destruction System", because it can split all available water and fill the ship/station/base with H2+O2 mixture,

To explode a ship on reentry if the crew has been abandoned it on in a capsule, or in case of ET invasion (say, the protomolecule).

5 hours ago, bearnard1244 said:

As probably all of you guys have seen the launch of the new rocket by Space X Starship. Was the result of that launch successful. I knot, that the landing part was not the aim of the mission but still, it spoilt a bit the whole picture of the test.

Welcome to the forum!  So - yeah, from pretty much every scientific aspect, it was a success. 

You have to remember that Starship (despite its name) isn't a starship yet, but it is a brand new prototype doing stuff that no other rocket ever has.  From the casual viewer a crash was a failure, sure, but these days crashing isn't as catastrophic as previously.  Especially given that it was computer controlled - and no one died. 

The fact that the rocket was able to hover - move laterally out over the gulf (for safety), flop horizontally and then fall gracefully under it's own power back to the launch site is almost miraculous. The fact that it flipped again and almost stuck the landing is also stunning. 

Go back in this thread to the day of launch and start reading - we've a ton of smart folks here who all debated what happened - which should explain it all 

5 hours ago, bearnard1244 said:

As probably all of you guys have seen the launch of the new rocket by Space X Starship. Was the result of that launch successful. I knot, that the landing part was not the aim of the mission but still, it spoilt a bit the whole picture of the test.

My younger sister was chanting "Fireworks!", the entire time. Did I mention that she enjoys explosions? As long as they don't involve any death, she's fine with it... :huh:

1 hour ago, bearnard1244 said:

A lot of people just don`t understand that 95% of the test objectives were completed. They just pay attention to the landing part which was not quite successful. I know that the landing part was not a main goal of the test, the main part was to have a look at how the ship would perform in action.

Well the landing part ended with an boom who is spectacular, but yes the test was probably 95% successful, yes this was an 3 engine landings and the 150 meter jumps was on one engine and as I understand 5 and 6 did not have header tanks. 

Now could they have done an small 3 engine hop with header tanks, yes but that would be pointless as they would still risk crashing and would not get the long burn then controlled fall down and then flip over who was the hard part. 

2 hours ago, bearnard1244 said:

So, guys, it`s very pleasant to chat with you here and I wanna share with you some information about the latest inventions from Space X. Musk has determined that the water ice locked in the Martian substrata is fuel. As such Musk is building the first industrial-scale water separator, smaller than a submarine, to create breathable Oxygen and Hydrogen which can be liquified and turned into fuel. After which the astronauts can drink the dirt.Now if Musk could just figure out how to launch the water separator and Hydrogen and Oxygen containment tanks and processing hardware that all together is about as large as a submarine at least.  What do you think about that statement of Elon Musk?

Harder than that, yes they need ice so they can split it into hydrogen and oxygen, but then they will combine hydrogen and co2 from the atmosphere to make methane but this is the easy part.
Yes water and oxygen is nice for life support but starship will use 100 times more for fuel. 

Now the problem with this is mostly: Its an power intensive process so they will need plenty of solar panels. They also need to drill for ice and extract water, clean it and break it down. 
Drilling here is pretty much drilling for water, its not doing core samples, both the drilling and deploying the solar arrays has to be done by robot system with an time delay to mars. 

Also the manned starship has to land close enough to be refueled while hopefully not damaging the infrastructure. 

Makes me wonder if SpaceX does testing on the drilling and solar panel deployment now?

3 hours ago, YNM said:

The question I have is with the exhaust interaction - how heat-resistant does the landing leg has to be ? It's brief, but I guess you'd like it if you know how many cycles it can last. Having things that protrude within the 9 m diameter looks pretty daring.

That portion of the leg can point more vertical if needed to avoid exhaust impingement. But if you recall, the existing legs already have a pretty rough time of it on landing:

Starship-SN5-150m-Flight-Test.gif

I don't think that bending in vs out is going to make much of a difference there. However, a higher stance with more ground clearance will help because it means less blowback gets trapped in the skirt.

5 minutes ago, tater said:

They have a window that allows a recycle. Have to see why the hold.

I believe it's a weather hold.

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

I believe it's a weather hold.

Could be, weather is pretty yucky, though no actual storms (seems to me cloud cover rules are anachronistic to range control having to see the LV to decide if they need to terminate the flight).

It's NRO, so maybe less than the usual amount of info, too.

23 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

But if you recall, the existing legs already have a pretty rough time of it on landing:

Yeah but they aren't reusing those multiple times... And yeah it looks incredibly short.