SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Fixed bad math in 2 posts, above. Wife was on call last night, and I had trouble sleeping while she was at hospital til 3, and I didn't sleep til ~2:20. Sorta loopy.

Edited by tater

15 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

The rock weighs less, but if it's firmly anchored you need to shear through it. Same energy to do that anywhere in the solar system.

A solar farm with a load of multi-purpose swap-in battery packs for an electric vehicle is probably most efficient.

Still, a Kerolox supercharged diesel engine would be cool.

You probably have an truck bed on this so you fill that with rocks for more weight. 
And yes it will be electric, you might have an engine as an backup power source. On Mars this will be required as you can get dust storms. 

Well, this is interesting...

This is one of those incredibly rare situations in program management where you look at a problem, and you add in one new piece, and suddenly it makes the job easier, cheaper, less risky, and with better results,”

Tho, by that math, they could just use Starship and launch the whole Gateway, the HLS, main and relief crew, and a partridge in a pear tree all at once for twice the win. -_-

I’m kidding. 
Mostly.

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

The rock weighs less, but if it's firmly anchored you need to shear through it. Same energy to do that anywhere in the solar system.

Explosives:cool:

33 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

You probably have an truck bed on this so you fill that with rocks for more weight. 
And yes it will be electric, you might have an engine as an backup power source. On Mars this will be required as you can get dust storms. 

Or order the moondozer with the optional SpaceX package and just use thrusters for extra downforce. :D More efficient in vacuum, anyway...

28 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I assumed it had been a typo for "fixed" -- but loopy foxes was just too obvious to pass up.

That's what it must have been. Still sorta loopy, even with afternoon espresso. Wife busy 2 nights in a row on call, and the first night our kitty went missing ( ;.; ), and I was out looking for her til at least 2am, up at 5:45 both days, <7 hours sleep in 2 days, lol.

27 minutes ago, tater said:

That's what it must have been. Still sorta loopy, even with afternoon espresso. Wife busy 2 nights in a row on call, and the first night our kitty went missing ( ;.; ), and I was out looking for her til at least 2am, up at 5:45 both days, <7 hours sleep in 2 days, lol.

Sorry about your kitty. Hope that works out for you.

4 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Sorry about your kitty. Hope that works out for you.

Kids are hoping she'll come back, as am I... but I'm more realistic about her chances. Something probably got her Monday afternoon, most likely (Coyote or bobcat would be my bet).

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Kids are hoping she'll come back, as am I... but I'm more realistic about her chances. Something probably got her Monday afternoon, most likely (Coyote or bobcat would be my bet).

I didn't want to say that, but yeah.

39 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That static fire seemed very short again.

:blink:

About the same as what they do before falcon 9 launches. The engines presumably have been fired for a long duration before integration with the vehicle, the static firings are likely to test performance and quality while integrated, and not "can the engine burn the required amount of time."

Plus, they are launching from a launch pad that was basically thrown together, it probably wouldn't withstand a much longer burn.