What's your most stupid thing ever you did in KSP?

Cat91

16 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I accidentally pressed Alt+F4 instead of Alt+F5 when trying to quicksave... aargh! 

I heard that instantly teleports you to an easter egg...

(sarcasm implied.)

I had to think for a moment about that question and then the obvious hit me, once I'd remembered it.

The single stupidest thing I did was on my first Eve return mission in which I sent this to Eve.

vONw9k8.jpg

Only to then find on attempting to launch the thing back into orbit that one of the many, many fuel lines...  one of these little yellow fellas here...

57IEPLa.jpg

...instead of connecting one fuel tank to another, was snagged on some other part (I think it was a parachute pack).

This meant that the entire trip was wasted, as the asparagus staging failed to operate as intended, due to one of the engines running dry early, causing the vehicle to roll over during ascent.

So I had to revert to an earlier save, from before the mission had left Kerbin orbit. I then De-orbited the vehicle, recovered Jeb and relaunched him on an entire new vehicle, with the one errant fuel line fixed.

This vehicle here.

PwPxBCx.jpg

Which fortunately took off as planned.

5ejuhlP.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

1 hour ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I accidentally pressed Alt+F4 instead of Alt+F5 when trying to quicksave... aargh! 

Yeah, I've done that a few times...

Also I decided to do a mission where I piloted mostly from map view. I was either going to Minmus or the Mun... And I managed to end up at the wrong moon...

2 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

This happened to me the other day, I was on my way to Eeloo. I waited until the launch window, (this was about 15 minutes in real life.) Then, I started to expand my orbit out until I had an encounter with Eeloo. But, when I attempted to quicksave my encounter. I hit Alt+F4! It was such a joy.  :wink:

16 minutes ago, Gaawb said:

This happened to me the other day, I was on my way to Eeloo. I waited until the launch window, (this was about 15 minutes in real life.) Then, I started to expand my orbit out until I had an encounter with Eeloo. But, when I attempted to quicksave my encounter. I hit Alt+F4! It was such a joy.  :wink:

There are a few timewarp mods out there, but I'm not sure which ones are updated.

@Geonovast I believe F5 saves your game using a fixed filename, IIRC, but I don't recall what it was.  I haven't used just F5 in quite a long time.

In contrast, Alt+F5 creates numbered saves by default but pops up a window that allows you to change file name if you want.  So if you didn't change the default names it would create files like:

Quicksave.sfs

Quicksave #2.sfs

Quicksave #3.sfs

Additionally, Alt+F9 allows you to choose which saved game file you want to load.

After I stranded Valentina on Mun  on my very first attempt to land (see my avatar), I sent a rescue mission. I had learn from my first mission and was actually doing a fabulous job of watching my altitude and rapidly toggling the shift and ctrl keys while moving closer and closer to Valentina using the A, D, W, and S keys. I was in the zone!

And then - inexplicably - I hit the space bar. I sat there in stunned silence as I watched my engine and landing gear separate from the command modulue...

I was close enough that I am sure Valentina saw the explosion on the horizon. And so it goes.

First career save- no quicksave enabled.

Doesn't seem like a problem, right?

But when you consider I failed a Mun mission 5 times and on the 5th time stranded Val in Mun orbit (due to some bug propelling her away from the lander) yeah....

I managed a minmus landing with Val again but I toppled over and realised I had no f9 to get it back up... I accidentally hit Z, and well, I guess you should know what happened next...

oh now that i think of it i made a science vessel that was going to orbit the mun collect experiments and decouple so there was only the command pod and a science experiment container (so there wasn't excess weight on reentry) come back and land so anyway on my way back after doing all the experiments i decoupled the science stage and realised i forgot to transfer all the experiments to the container so i quickly hopped out with good ol jeb and manually transferred the experiments in the ever increasing atmosphere and somehow survived (minus about 50 of the 130 science :( ) 

You did say the stupidest thing I've done, so here it is: 

I made a giant 300-ton truck creatively called the "SNOWPLOW 9000" and smashed a bunch of planes with it.. and due to game logic, a lone Kerbal that was on the runway got hit.. and was fine. No spaghetti bug, no instant death, no. Just flew away and landed unharmed. LOGIC.

Not to mention putting solar panels on drop tanks and watching them fly away... 

After several hours designing a spaceplane, finally load a proper cargo on and take it to orbit. Then realised that I'd been doing all my trials with half-full fuel tanks, it doesn't have the range to get to Mun, and can't actually break mach 1 with full fuel... :( 

Also I fail to calculate antenna ranges on my probes a lot and have to send relays afterwards to get my data back :/ 

Stupidest thing I've done in KSP?

Starting any mission at all within an hour of bedtime, telling myself "I'll just do this one quick thing and then go to bed".

It's a bad idea.  Don't do it.  :P

55 minutes ago, Snark said:

Stupidest thing I've done in KSP?

Starting any mission at all within an hour of bedtime, telling myself "I'll just do this one quick thing and then go to bed".

It's a bad idea.  Don't do it.  :P

And he has said this because when you do anything KSP related an hour before bedtime, about the time you realize you really do need to go to bed, there's a pale yellowish light peeking above the eastern horizon. Yeah, that's happened to me more than I care to admit... :/

So, yes, kiddies, in the words of Snark...

55 minutes ago, Snark said:

It's a bad idea.  Don't do it:P

I hate to waste fuel and parts, so I was busy using my Mun lander's transfer & deorbit stage to come in for landing.

I staged it off while hovering about 10m up, then lowered the landing gear and prepared to settle down for some science.

Landing on a fuel tank is far less effective than landing on solid ground, and my vehicle promptly tipped over.

But the stupid part isn't that it happened, rather that it was the third identical mun lander to have the exact same piloting problem.

(The subsequent identical Mun landers #4 through #6 managed to avoid landing on their previous stages, but still managed to tip over for unrelated reasons.)

On 8/29/2017 at 3:53 PM, purpleivan said:

The single stupidest thing I did was on my first Eve return mission in which I sent this to Eve.

[... barely failed Eve lander and successful rescue ...]

HHEHEhHE, that is much more reasonable than the stupid monster I sent to Eve.  'Thing's legs were based on one of @Whackjob's designs, with one modification that made them not work right, it was a two-kerbal beast with a stack of 2 single-kerb cans, that insisted on using ion propulsion to finish off the ascent, complete with a pair of gigantors on top.

Even more stupidly, the thing nearly worked, because I'd designed it to work, nice and carefully with KER in the VAB.  The lander even made a capable Duna vessel, as was found out on a test flight.  However, the stupidest part, is that it was just about perfect, save for the TWR, because I'd had KER in Kerbin mode instead of Eve when I was finalizing the design.

So, the monster lifter bore the beast up, the transfer stage worked a treat, the thing re-entered with no problem, landed...a bit wiggly because I'd unknowingly wrecked the legs, and most importantly, the four first stage engines -- two skippers and two mainsails (this was pre-1.0 and indeed pre-mammoth)....did not have the TWR they needed.  It'd hover, sinking briefly, then rise just before staging and really getting underway, utterly wasting the whole first stage.  A look over the numbers showed that it would've worked if they'd all four been mainsails.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.