Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

Total equivalent thickness of the atmosphere is 8 km (vertically).
Clear vision distance for clear weather ~100..200 km. Usually by order of magnitude less.

So, unlikely a laser sat could hit anything beyond ~10 (up to 200) km radius from its exact on-ground projection, even if forget about the diffusion.

This means, it will never be on proper time in proper place.

46 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Would an optical laser weapon be possible? like would a mirror really be able to capture all of that energy and if it was wouldn't the clouds and atmosphere just difuse the beam?

Why do you jump towards using it against ground targets?

52 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Would an optical laser weapon be possible?

Maybe (the atmo will deffo scatter things around as we're sending photons down, not up), but my off-comment weren't really on actual weapons-grade lasers.

Basically if you want to harvest solar power in orbit and send it to the ground then unless you plan on covering large parts of Earth's sky with a mirror that shines the surface with mirrored sunlight you'll have to concentrate the light influx you just harvested. And even back on Earth we already seen enough of birds fried in the sky from solar concentrator plants, for something orbital the intensity is probably much, much larger. (apparently for ground application it's been solved by making sure you're not making more than 5000 W/sq m (illustration) - 4 times the normal insolation - but for space application I think that's too small.)

idk though. Maybe if it doesn't directly glints off to you then because of the lack of strong radiation from elsewhere maybe you wouldn't notice unless you're in the path. Still kinda scary to think we have stuff that's sending a lot of power up and down.

Edited by YNM

2 hours ago, YNM said:

Maybe (the atmo will deffo scatter things around as we're sending photons down, not up), but my off-comment weren't really on actual weapons-grade lasers.

Basically if you want to harvest solar power in orbit and send it to the ground then unless you plan on covering large parts of Earth's sky with a mirror that shines the surface with mirrored sunlight you'll have to concentrate the light influx you just harvested. And even back on Earth we already seen enough of birds fried in the sky from solar concentrator plants, for something orbital the intensity is probably much, much larger. (apparently for ground application it's been solved by making sure you're not making more than 5000 W/sq m (illustration) - 4 times the normal insolation - but for space application I think that's too small.)

idk though. Maybe if it doesn't directly glints off to you then because of the lack of strong radiation from elsewhere maybe you wouldn't notice unless you're in the path. Still kinda scary to think we have stuff that's sending a lot of power up and down.

Well, it's not strictly necessary to concentrate it - you can just shine it at an ordinary solar powerplant.

Their space based solar power plans, like most others, involved beaming it as microwaves.

That said, if a rectenna was to be built off the coast of Fuzhou, I wonder if it would be worth losing power temporarily and redirecting the transmitter on Taipei. The NASA and DOE project of the 70s had the beam defocused so that limited agricultural would take place under the rectenna safely. If this was not done would there be any damage (not just to organisms/objects but to electronics)?

9 hours ago, DDE said:

Well, it's not strictly necessary to concentrate it - you can just shine it at an ordinary solar powerplant.

27 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Their space based solar power plans, like most others, involved beaming it as microwaves.

Well it's still a lot of energy to be beaming things with.

27 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I wonder if it would be worth losing power temporarily and redirecting the transmitter on Taipei.

Giant microwave magnetron in the sky, disrupting everyone's wi-fi, starlink and mobile internet...

Edited by YNM

Tianwen-1 lander with the Zhurong rover will land on May 14th/today.

The landing profile (in the third image in the tweet)-

Unfortunately, highly likely there will not be a livestream.

Edited by SunlitZelkova

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Why? Depends on the rendering speed.

CNSA does not have their own equivalent to NASA TV or the studio and hosts Roscosmos has. I don't think CGTN, which is a major news network, will spend the time and effort just to show a bunch of people sitting around in mission control waiting for data.

In addition, if it fails, China may want to control the narrative, instead of letting the sad faces of the mission control people go viral.

I would be happy if I am wrong though.

News said the image will be transmitted in hours, the solar panel and mast are deployed

8 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Aww, I was hoping for a big boom. I'm too kerbal.

Where is the landing site located relative to Perseverance and Ingenuity? Can Zhurong engage in a 2 country car race?

Zhurong laned at 109.7 E, 25.1 N in Utopia Planitia, thousand kilometers away from Percy so afraid they can't 

Edited by 050644zf