Air Superiority Fighter Competition

@Earthlinger sorry you lost. This is going to be a bad day for you.

@Avera9eJoe slight problem while arming XV's: No radar. Might be able to fix with some creative use of part clipping (which, for the knowledge of the public, is allowed to a degree) or could only use heatseeker missiles. Also, submitting switch in locked downward position. Even if it doesn't make the leaderboard, still gets best vtol.

Edited by HeroBrian_333

18 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

Don’t test F2Mk2 yet, I need to change the arming, and I won’t have time until tomorrow afternoon.

Sorry, tests must go on. However, tell us what needs fixing and I'm sure if It is small we can fix it.

9 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Sorry, tests must go on. However, tell us what needs fixing and I'm sure if It is small we can fix it.

I had cut a pair of missles PAC-3 for the Mk2, but since they proved so effective in later matches, can they be readded on the bottom of the Mk2 cargo bay? And can the AI settings be tweaked to have 3 missles per target?

Edited by 53miner53

5 hours ago, exbyde said:

I'll be testing out the Fighter 2 MK2 against the Taisch tomorrow, then the T50, IAIO Qaher, Ordinance drone, and any vehicles after my list. After this, the hiatus will be over

Er, not the ordnance drones

They aren't dedicated dogfighters

48 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

sorry you lost. This is going to be a bad day for you.

What why :D

I have no problem with losing :D

Edited by Earthlinger

6 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

You only won for like 3 hours. Also, ordinance drones please. They will be beasts (@ losing, just like bezerkers:cool:)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understood is that in the span of 3 hours, I went from the bottom to the top, and was only replaced a little later by the Flying Dorito (GG to that, btw)

Though I do agree that the Ordnance drones will get trampled.

42 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understood is that in the span of 3 hours, I went from the bottom to the top, and was only replaced a little later by the Flying Dorito (GG to that, btw)

Still only held the throne for 3 hours, as opposed to Bryntröll's 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, 53miner53 said:

Don’t test F2Mk2 yet, I need to change the arming, and I won’t have time until tomorrow afternoon.

Show must go on. But we will be cranking out this list in record fashion so you can have a FM2mk3 tested. Also paks dont work well.

6 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I got bored and while I realize this wrong for at least two reasons I can think of off hand (Didn't have a payload, probably didn't have to stop), I had fun doing it. Hah.

https://youtu.be/CvakpSU44-s

(Video will be finished in a few minutes of posting thing - my internet doesn't like 2k60)

Noice, speedrun?

5 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

RIP Berzerkers

.-.

They're still no.2, you dethroned the bryntroll, went toe to toe with the dorito, tieing in the final round, then got flavor blasted by the doritos in the 8v8.  Very respectable. Grats.

40 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

1 minute ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Still only held the throne for 3 hours, as opposed to Bryntröll's 3 weeks.

To be fair no one went on a snacks-fueled rampage and did a bunch of fights in that time.

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

To be fair no one went on a snacks-fueled rampage and did a bunch of fights in that time.

Yes, thank you for running all those dogfights. We (me, at least), appreciate it :)

But don't get your hopes up @HeroBrian_333, I have a new plane! :D

Ripsaw Drone: https://kerbalx.com/Earthlinger/Ripsaw-Drone

I can't post pics for some reason :/ You'll have to download the craft to see it. It's kinda messy/ugly, compared to the Berzerker drones, but it's more maneuverable and much, much faster. (950 m/s at sea level. Beyond that, it kind.....flies apart...)

EDIT: I was actually looking at a picture of an SR-71 Blackbird when building the Ripsaw, but I just realized how much it looks like the Taisch :blush:

Edited by Earthlinger

13 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Yes, thank you for running all those dogfights. We (me, at least), appreciate it :)

But don't get your hopes up @HeroBrian_333, I have a new plane! :D

Ripsaw Drone: https://kerbalx.com/Earthlinger/Ripsaw-Drone

I can't post pics for some reason :/ You'll have to download the craft to see it. It's kinda messy/ugly, compared to the Berzerker drones, but it's more maneuverable and much, much faster. (950 m/s at sea level. Beyond that, it kind.....flies apart...)

EDIT: I was actually looking at a picture of an SR-71 Blackbird when building the Ripsaw, but I just realized how much it looks like the Taisch :blush:

Looking like the Taisch isnt a bad thing, it performed really well in its time, still does. Please remember we are on a short hiatus from accepting designs until i can catch up, so feel free to use the time to test things out on your own and hone the edge on your ripsaw

1 minute ago, exbyde said:

Please remember we are on a short hiatus from accepting designs until i can catch up, so feel free to use the time to test things out on your own and hone the edge on your ripsaw

Yeah I know, I'm just putting up updates/WIP's :D

The Ripsaw has some issues when pulling up at high speeds. It pulls up about 90 degrees in a second, but then bounces back down about 45 degrees. It maneuvers smoothly after that, but the initial jolt always has a bit of a rebound :P

3 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Yeah I know, I'm just putting up updates/WIP's :D

The Ripsaw has some issues when pulling up at high speeds. It pulls up about 90 degrees in a second, but then bounces back down about 45 degrees. It maneuvers smoothly after that, but the initial jolt always has a bit of a rebound :P

Is that on the initial pass ( when the aircraft get up to speed) or constantly?

45 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

On the initial pass, when it's moving faster than 300 m/s. Below that, in between 150-250, it's stable

I mean you could ignore or downrate engines, changing the position of your elevator to your rudder (move wing to keep cg) may help. That is going to be the issue with short aircraft and responsive control surfaces, your elevator/canard gains authority at high speed, while your cg and cm are close, means it takes little to manipulate the craft. You can derate (lower the power) from the engines, but this increases missile gap time/initial pass and lowers airspeed recovery. Could move cg forward, but that will increase stability and decrease maneuverability. Could also move the controls but that may see a reduction in turn rate at low speed. Its a balancing act, pros and cons.

Edited by exbyde

5 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

@Avera9eJoe slight problem while arming XV's: No radar. Might be able to fix with some creative use of part clipping (which, for the knowledge of the public, is allowed to a degree) or could only use heatseeker missiles. Also, submitting switch in locked downward position. Even if it doesn't make the leaderboard, still gets best vtol.

Hm, I bet you can hide the dome behind the cockpit in the empty space made by the Tail Connector A (The pointy part directly behind the cockpit)

What does "locked downward" entail? Can the engines still rotate up? Also thanks :D - My intention wasn't to take over the thread lol... :blush:

54 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hm, I bet you can hide the dome behind the cockpit in the empty space made by the Tail Connector A (The pointy part directly behind the cockpit)

Why not replace the tail part with an inline radar and a nosecone/fuel tank? That way you'll keep the general shape although you'll need some tweaking for CoM and CoL balance

3 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

On the initial pass, when it's moving faster than 300 m/s. Below that, in between 150-250, it's stable

I took a look at your aircraft 1v1 against my Berkut 1at, (obv noncannon) you have a few issues:
1. Nonexistant or ineffective missile system
2. Your SAS system needs struts within the structural housing, you can see the center engine wobbling.
3. All of your control surfaces are very close to the CG. You need to move your CG forward, followed by your canards. The bubble for the CL should be just behind the bubble for the CG. Also add some rudders.
4. A bit of weight savings (lose the center engine) may be beneficial.

Edited by exbyde

4 minutes ago, exbyde said:

2. Your SAS system needs struts within the structural housing, you can see the center engine wobbling.

Yup, I saw that one :P

4 minutes ago, exbyde said:

3. All of your control surfaces are very close to the CG. You need to move your CG forward, followed by your canards. The bubble for the CL should be just behind the bubble for the CG. Also add some rudders.

I feel like the AI can handle the plane well, though, so.......It's hard to handle, but at least it can turn decently fast :D

Keep in mind the file I put up is a sort of filler. Prototype. I'll do some tweaking later on :)

Edited by Earthlinger

5 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Yup, I saw that one :P

I feel like the AI can handle the plane well, though, so.......It's hard to handle, but at least it can turn decently fast :D

Keep in mind the file I put up is a sort of filler. Prototype. I'll do some tweaking later on :)

Your call. Only reason i mentioned was even when i put a very op flare/chaff system on the aircraft and changed nothing else, it got into flatspins and would not fire turrets.

1 minute ago, exbyde said:

Your call. Only reason i mentioned was even when i put a very op flare/chaff system on the aircraft and changed nothing else, it got into flatspins and would not fire turrets.

OH

Right, I forgot the chaff/flares :D

Lol. Major fixing to do :P

4 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

OH

Right, I forgot the chaff/flares :D

Lol. Major fixing to do :P

See this is the beauty of "submissions are on hiatus", you can fix your stuff before the no.5 aircraft shows you the same issues. and @[INDO]dimas_1502 you may want to take the time and run your submissions through BDArmory on AI pilot since you have a small bit of time.

47 minutes ago, l0kki said:

I would like to do a new entry with the WunderWaffel III Ausf. F (you can disregard my earlier entry)
 https://kerbalx.com/l0kki/WunderWaffle-III-Ausf-F_2

Link is bad, and we are not accepting or testing new entries at this moment to catch up on the current list. I would advise testing your aircraft against others on the list with AI on for the time being, to iron out any deficiencies. On first glance, your aircraft is not maneuverable enough, and needs a chaff/flare/ECM system

Edited by exbyde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.