Back when I was a kid

SpacedCowboy

24 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

When I was a kid, pay phones cost a dime (although not for much longer. That’s right, there were pay phones all over the place!

I was going to say, it might as well be, "When I was a kid, there were pay phones."

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, klesh said:

When I was a kid, being bullied gave you a thick skin and being offended was your own problem.

When I was a kid my mom re-married, and the neighborhood I moved to had a couple jerks that I clashed with. But I fight back, and after a couple scraps they moved onto easier targets...

Funny thing is, years later, not long after I came home from the Army, I ran into one of these guys, and we ended up becoming really good friends. Weird how things work out.

Edited by Just Jim

Image result for outdoor pay phone

I remember these being all over the place when I was like eight or nine. But now I can't recall when I last saw one. It's been several years, I think.
Edited by Earthlinger

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

I remember these being all over the place when I was like eight or nine. But now I can't recall when I last saw one. It's been several years, I think.

I remember using those to call my parents to come pick me up before I got my driver's license.

8 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

So now where does Superman get changed?

I suppose there are still some revolving doors Chuck Norris hasn't had a chance to slam shut?

Anyway, I remember playing in the street. :confused:

On 20/02/2018 at 2:32 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

When I was a kid, pay phones cost a dime (although not for much longer. That’s right, there were pay phones all over the place!)

Ah... I still remember using them ! Along with some sort of pay-phones booth in a house of some sorts ("wartel"), I used them to call home from school sometimes :wink: Down here it costed a least more than a nickel, for less than 30 seconds...

Man, just how quick mobile phones go and spread... Also, searching for "payphones"just show you up some melodic stuff instead :confused:

Edited by YNM

On 2/23/2018 at 5:03 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

.... I had a construction toy called Capsela  I had fun with it, always wanted more.  Quite the Duracell killer though. 

Holy crap I remember those, never had it myself but recall seeing it somewhere in my youth. Maybe it was in the Edmund Scientific catalogue, because back in my day we had to order stuff from catalogues :P

When I was a kid, video game updates didn't result in everyone completely losing their crap over minutiae.

22 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Edmund Scientific catalogue

Wow.  That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

There was hardly a page of that thing that wasn't marked by highlighter when I was done.

Edited by razark

I hadn't thought of the Edmund Scientific catalog in decades. We loved that thing! They sold LASERS! My brother and I wanted to buy a laser so bad, but my dad said no. Considering the havoc we wreaked with the chemistry sets, that was probably a wise choice.

On 06/03/2018 at 8:22 PM, Earthlinger said:

Speaking of public telephones, there was one telephone box in the neighborhood that i kind if ignored during childhood, but i wonder if its still there.

I think some artist play around with these boxes alot.

18 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I hadn't thought of the Edmund Scientific catalog in decades. We loved that thing! They sold LASERS! My brother and I wanted to buy a laser so bad, but my dad said no. Considering the havoc we wreaked with the chemistry sets, that was probably a wise choice.

Funny that I was just talking to a coworker yesterday about the old school lasers (HeNe I think) that I wanted as a kid- I did my science fair project on lasers in 6th grade! I loved the Edmund Scientific catalog as well, lenses and magnets and lasers man. I also scored a Frey scientific catalog which I think had a bunch of chemicals, one of them being straight caffeine which I thought was amusing, but actually pretty dangerous.

I'm sure many here also had the Radio Shack electronics sets with the short wires that hooked into springsa6b21d14859981.56289e36154c9.png

1 minute ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Funny that I was just talking to a coworker yesterday about the old school lasers (HeNe I think) that I wanted as a kid- I did my science fair project on lasers in 6th grade! I loved the Edmund Scientific catalog as well, lenses and magnets and lasers man. I also scored a Frey scientific catalog which I think had a bunch of chemicals, one of them being straight caffeine which I thought was amusing, but actually pretty dangerous.

I'm sure many here also had the Radio Shack electronics sets with the short wires that hooked into springsa6b21d14859981.56289e36154c9.png

Oh, gosh, yes. My brother and I got one of those for Christmas one year and we loved it so much we kept getting in fights over who would get to use it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.