Best Looking Computer Thread

p1t1o

If any of you are literally stalking me, you might have noticed Im upgrading my PC.

Aesthetics are nice but rarely a priority if you have limited funds.

Then I saw this:

pic1.jpg

Is that not THE most beautiful case ever made?

Theres lots of pictures of it filled with horrifically gaudy fluid cooling setups, but ignore those and just look at that.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I hunted through my flat for junk to sell on eBay and I recommend everyone to do this once in a while because I found enough stuff (a drone, my old motherboard, a fountain pen I never used and an old but decent set of headphones) to acquire one of these works of art. (AAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWW YEAH.)

So? Any of you got nice looking custom builds to show off? Or seen something spectacular out in the wild or online?

Yeah, nice Bauhaus style cage :-)

Before you part with other stuff i would suggest to sleep over the decision a few nights. Because i have made the experience that impulsive action can lead to disappointment. Design is short lived, one gets tired of it quickly. And in this case all the flashing LEDs from harddrives, graphics card, IO-devices, or whatever the interior likes to communicate might be so distracting that in the end the box moves below the table and under a blanket.

Just saying.

Otoh, sometimes a "want to have" reflex is so strong that it becomes vital. In this case ....

:-)

Edit: just realized that i totally fulfill my assigned role as a boring, reasonable being. xD

Edited by Green Baron

16 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Yeah, nice Bauhaus style cage :-)

Before you part with other stuff i would suggest to sleep over the decision a few nights. Because i have made the experience that impulsive action can lead to disappointment. Design is short lived, one gets tired of it quickly. And in this case all the flashing LEDs from harddrives, graphics card, IO-devices, or whatever the interior likes to communicate might be so distracting that in the end the box moves below the table and under a blanket.

Just saying.

Otoh, sometimes a "want to have" reflex is so strong that it becomes vital. In this case ....

:-)

Edit: just realized that i totally fulfill my assigned role as a boring, reasonable being. xD

Not to worry, this aint my first rodeo :wink: I did go through a grace period and vetted my desires against resources and future proofing. This is post-thought excitement, I've made the decision and am now basking in the anticipation :)

There is a particular feeling I get when I see a "right" purchase and I almost never act without getting that feeling and its very accurate. If I go against it, either buying or not-buying, I get very disappointed. 

I wont be filling it with flashing lights & RGB fans, my motherboard has enough of those built-in already.

But I've got some nice colour-matched cables that go with the motherboard, and really its displaying the components that I like.

I just built a new rig. No picture on me, but i used this case here:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/crystal-series-570x-rgb-atx-mid-tower-case

Turned out super nice. It has a i7-8700K and a 1080Ti now, runs very good.

I can recommend that case, the build was a breeze and it keeps everything nice and cool. Maybe a bit more expensive than other cases. The one you posted looks nice too.

Have fun with your built.

I seriously don't understand this big push to remove any access from the front panel, and the elimination of the 5.25" bays.

I get it, we all decided as a society that optical media is terrible... (we didn't, though).  But there are plenty of other applications for 5.25" stuff.

I think that case is hideous, as well as most gaming cases.  I hate my case, I'm only using it because it came with my computer bundle, and I couldn't really justify another 80-100 for a case I liked.

I like a more utilitarian style case, functionality over flash.  I hate that my front access USB ports and audio ports are on the top.  Couldn't care less about LEDs lighting the thing up.  The only time I actually appreciated the case I got, is when I got my way-overkill heat sink with my i7-7700K, and it would actually fit in this thing.

To each their own though. :wink:  While I don't share the opinion, I can certainly appreciate your... appreciation of that style of case.

This is the best part of my case: :D

20180102190816.jpg

Edited by Geonovast
I foregot howe too speel

10 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

...the elimination of the 5.25" bays.

Right! The last time I did a windows install, it was asking me for USB drivers. No internet connection, no USB, no optical drive. Greeat.

Had to frankenstein it up and have an optical drive hanging by the wires out the side of the open case.

Time before that it asked for RAID drivers on a floppy.

A FLOPPY. My motherboard didnt even have the socket for it anymore.

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I seriously don't understand this big push to remove any access from the front panel, and the elimination of the 5.25" bays.

I get it, we all decided as a society that optical media is terrible... (we didn't, though).  But here are plenty of other applications for 5.25" stuff.

I think that case is hideous, as well as most gaming cases.  I hate my case, I'm only using it because it came with my computer bundle, and I couldn't really justify another 80-100 for a case I liked.

I like a more utilitarian style case, functionality over flash.  I hate that my front access USB ports and audio ports are on the top.  Couldn't case less about LEDs lighting the thing up.  The only time I actually appreciated the case I got, is when I got my way-overkill heatsink with my i7-7700K, and it would actually fit in this thing.

To each their own though. :wink:  While I don't share the opinion, I can certainly appreciate your... appreciation of that style of case.

This is the best part of my case: :D

20180102190816.jpg

I'm with you. When I'm building a computer my thoughts on the case are, "What is the cheapest case that will hold my components and provide adequate cooling?" Odds are that it's going to get shoved under a desk, or behind the monitor, so why waste money on making it beautiful?

54 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

why waste money on making it beautiful?

Sure, I mean, who wants this totally uncool thing:

collection-of-solutions-pc-desk-case-pla

Or, you could just forgo a case completely?

jerryrigs-rig-the-ultimate-gaming-pc-alb

(Obviously nothing wrong with a pragmatic approach)

Edited by p1t1o

3 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Sure, I mean, who wants this totally uncool thing:

A constant blue and green glare on the monitors?  No thanks.  I like the concept of the location of the computer, just no lights.  Probably no transparent panel either.

Personally, I like my computer to have a keyboard and mouse... but I guess I'm just weird.

15 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

So do my neighbours. (And the red devil sneaks into my home every chance he gets.) What has 'having a cat' to do with computer cases?

Having a computer with no case, or a case with lots of blinking lights and gizmos, or both, would lead to:

A. A cat interfering with me on the computer,
B. A cat chewing on computer components, getting caught in fans, etc,
C. Trips to the veterinarian,
D. All of the above.

11 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

I never understood why anyone cares what the PC unit itself looks like, since the only part one actually looks at is the monitor. 

Well, it sorta matters. No one would take it seriously if your tower  looked like this:

146287.jpg

5 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Maybe he uses his PC's cooling system as a coffee maker!

Hey, now that's an idea... I wouldn't have to pause games to get another cup... :D

Edited by adsii1970

When I'm building a computer, the case is the 1st thing I look at. But not for esthetics.

Is there space to route cables easily?

Are there any sharp edges? How good are the cooling fans and how quiet are they?

At that point, I will look at the esthetics of the case. But it's extremely rare that I would get to the esthetics question.

I agree that aesthetics are not relevant to the quality of the computer.

But aesthetics are still relevant to quality of life in general.

For example if I was building a computer, it would be a low priority.

But if I was choosing a piece of furniture, it would be a much larger factor, as you have to live with it for a long time, its going to occupy your field of vision in a significant way if its in a place that you occupy often.

Yeah an ugly beige monstrosity of a chair might be comfortable, but if its ugly as sin, you might not see that as a good deal.

I want to make my computer look nicer not because good computers must look good, but because it is a fundamental installation in my main room, which is very visible and which will be there for, ultimately, all of the forseeable future.

In the same way that someone might decide that they want a cool print by their favorite artist on the wall, I have decided that I want my computer to look good. I already have the goodness which goes inside, the computer is already built and all further upgrades are well out of my reach. But if I can make it easier on the eye - it wont make my computer any different, but it will make my household a more pleasant place.

There are of course many situations where the aesthetics of the case have much less impact, where other objects have far more effect, but I doubt anybody rejects the concept of aesthetics as a whole.

NB: I do reject the aesthetic concept that computers have to be crammed with kilowatts of RGB LEDs flashing all over the place cycling through the entire spectrum, some of the builds that you can find online look like schizophrenic acid trips to the planet of no eyes.

Edited by p1t1o

Practicality > Looks

Lets be honest here, the Space Shuttle looks like a 1st grader taped a toy plane on to a popsicle. But in some cases, it was extremely usefull for the construction of the ISS, for example.

My computer looks like something that i left in the attic for 10 years, but, although slow, works fine.

It's too plain for my taste. It can work great if you have the right parts to show off, but your really getting into form over function territory I think. Especially if you didn't want your computer to thermal throttle watching youtube. Besides, by making it all about the stuff inside the case, you miss out on making the case part of the show. But then, I still like the look of my Phantom 410 and think all rectangular cases are kinda ugly. It needs weird angles dammit!

But, to each their own. As I said, I still champion the Phantom, so who am I to judge :P

In my defence, it looks sort of like a stormtrooper helmet, which goes really well with the stormtrooper decorations all around it.

Edited by Randox

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.