Where are we going to share the Mission Builder missions?

Radiatin

In the "Challenges & Missions ideas" section I suppose. Although I can imagine it being split when the DLC comes out.

I don't expect the Mission Builder to handle importing missions from other people, but I'm sure someone will eventually come up with a mod to do it (cf CKAN and KerbalX mod).

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

I don't expect the Mission Builder to handle importing missions from other people...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but sharing, downloading, and playing missions created by other players is very much part of the DLC. It's arguably the most exciting feature of the mission builder aspect of the mission builder, since I'm sure we'll see some very creative and interesting missions produced by this community.

As for where they'll go, I wouldn't be surprised if the community mod repository and/or community vessel repository adapt to host and index user-made missions. I haven't seen any mention of such just yet, but if the Expansion is popular I'm sure we'll see some sort of community mission repository made available within a few months time.

16 minutes ago, Mako said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but sharing, downloading, and playing missions created by other players is very much part of the DLC. It's arguably the most exciting feature of the mission builder aspect of the mission builder, since I'm sure we'll see some very creative and interesting missions produced by this community.

I mean there will not be a way to view, download and install missions made by other players without exiting the game. I agree with what you said: the DLC is very much about sharing missions and crafts; but I don't think it will be integrated into the game, so we will still need the forums and whatnot to access the community missions.

I should have specified that I meant an integrated UI or menu inside the game.

As for where they'll go, I wouldn't be surprised if the community mod repository and/or community vessel repository adapt to host and index user-made missions. I haven't seen any mention of such just yet, but if the Expansion is popular I'm sure we'll see some sort of community mission repository made available within a few months time.

It's what I mentioned earlier: a community-made analogue to CKAN or KerbalX. (As for the community mod repository, if we are thinking of the same thing, I can tell first-hand that it's probably never going to serve as a missions repository)

Ah, okay. I misunderstood. In that case, I completely agree that there is not and probably will never be an in-game solution. I was asking about that months ago, and I never saw a response from Squad. At that time, I conjectured that by not having an in-game system to share and download mods that functionality would likely have a hard time existing on consoles. I also pointed out that as far as user experience is concerned, the in-game solution would be best. Unfortunately it would also be a lot of work for a development team that was never able to make their patcher work reliably.

If you check the Daily Kerbal section of the forums, you'll find a post detailing how to share missions pretty much as you describe: via zip files outside of the game in a fashion similar to sharing mods.

As for a community repository, I mean Spacedock or whatever it's called, the community developed and maintained repository that CKAN pulls from. I'm not sure if it's going to be made to accommodate missions, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. I have no idea what the "official" mod repository, Curse/Curseforge, is doing these days in terms of hosting mods, let alone missions. I wonder if they're still "official" now that Take-Two is in charge...

There might be a way to do it in game.  Complete speculation here, but the are no parts or assets assigned with a mission to load correct?  (Assuming a stock game of course).  So if that's true you should be able to drag and drop a mission file into the correct folder and open it that way, without having to reboot the game. 

I'm sure that you will be able to minimize KSP and move files around while the game is open, since as you say they mission files aren't much different than save files (well, text files packed in a zip archive to be precise).

However, that is not the same as having an in-game mission browser that doesn't require you leaving KSP. The way it is set to work is still less user friendly than if they had made an in-game menu for uploading, browsing, and downloading missions. I know it's not hard to look online and then download and move files around, but the point is this was yet again another missed opportunity to make KSP seem like a polished product.

I'm not other saying it's the end of the world, far from it, but I do think it's a missed opportunity. Furthermore, lacking an in-game browser, I'm not totally sure how they can provide the mission sharing functionality if they ever make Making History available on consoles. That's obviously not important at the moment, but it's something to think about.

The real bummer about not having an in-game solution for mission sharing is that until a community repository gets set up there won't be one best place to go to find new missions. If each mission gets its own thread in the challenges section of the forum it might make finding good missions to play a challenge in and of itself. Squad could have implemented a solution that would have looked good, was easy to interact with, and most importantly that wouldn't take you out of KSP. It would have taken some effort and it would have meant setting up a server, but I would think Take-Two has the resources. It seems like they're just not interested...

Edited by Mako

I am currently adding mission sharing to KerbalX.com. It'll work pretty much like craft sharing; drop the mission package zip onto the site and it'll create a page that you can customize and missions will be searchable by name and other characteristics (currently just the destination planets, I'll add more searchable attrs once I know more about missions after the DLC release).
I don't want to promise anything about in game integration, but if I can I will, but that will come later.

Edited by katateochi

I was pretty confident the community would pick up the slack. Same as it ever was.

Well done, software and server folks. You impress, surprise, and delight yet again. This work is much appreciated, thank you.

18 hours ago, Kerbart said:

If Squad put the money where their mouth is they would organize some platform where we could host our mods, and probably our missions as well.

Curses! Forge such a place, Squad! Why won't you?!

Didn't this use to exist at one point?

Either way, Squad officially uses Curse now, so that may be where missions are hosted

20 hours ago, Dfthu said:

I'm a prefect world they could use steam workshop

13 minutes ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Why Squad, WHY won't you add workshop support? WHYYYYYY!?

'cos there are still some of us weirdos who don't have KSP on steam (bought from store). So it would result in a community split with some people unable to make use of the workshop content.

On 3/9/2018 at 7:32 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

I'm pretty disappointed that there is no in-game solution for sharing missions.

I'm surprised and not surprised at the same time.

On 3/9/2018 at 7:41 PM, katateochi said:

I am currently adding mission sharing to KerbalX.com.

The community comes to the rescue again. 

32 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Doesn't even need to be a perfect world.  They could do that now.

Yes, but there are clear issues with that. Aside from the ability to monetize mods/missions (which I'm not sure can be turned off or not, I'm not that familiar with Steam Workshop):

• It's not accessible for those who do not use Steam. Personally I like Steam and the way it works, but some don't and then say "well you're excluded from community missions" is just not right
  • It will add the missions to the Steam install. I'm not the only one who plays (various installs) on copies of that. So I never get to see those missions

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.