The food you're craving right now...

adsii1970

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 1:30 AM, razark said:

I'll cook the bacon first, then use the fat to cook the potatoes.

You are EVIL. Bacon ... bacon fat... potatoes... do you grill / roast them or do you have enough fat to fry them?

I will however suggest that you see your GP about getting your Cholesterol checked. 

Regards

Orc

Hi all

This thread is having a seriously bad effect on my brain and stomach. I might need to stop visiting forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com until you guys let it die.

Just in the time it has taken to read the last few posts I've thought about:

Boerewors and potato mash with tomato and onion gravy (hmm: Boerewors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerewors)

Bobotjie and yellow rice, where the Bobotjie was made with extra big raisins, served with some Mrs. Balls Fruit Chutney on the side. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobotie , http://mrsballs.com/product/original-chutney/)

Failing that Pork. Pork is always a good bet. Well prepared Pork is always awesome.

And those damn KFC breakfast wraps. Damn you KFC, Damn you.

Regards

Orc

9 hours ago, Orc said:

Boerewors and potato mash with tomato and onion gravy (hmm: Boerewors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerewors)

Bobotjie and yellow rice, where the Bobotjie was made with extra big raisins, served with some Mrs. Balls Fruit Chutney on the side. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobotie , http://mrsballs.com/product/original-chutney/)

Mmmmm, I miss good South African food too. Braaivleis on the beach at Christmas. Homemade rusks. Potjiekos. Koeksisters. Melktert. King Pie. Nando's.

11 hours ago, Orc said:

Bacon ... bacon fat... potatoes... do you grill / roast them or do you have enough fat to fry them?

Fry them in a cast iron skillet.  I put a lid on top, so the upper layers get steamed while the lower ones fry.  Stir occasionally.

I want something different.

I went camping with friends this weekend.  Before I left, I made a big pot of chicken stew to reheat over the camp stove.

On returning home, I ordered the replacement part I need to get the stove working.

It's been leftovers all week.

26 minutes ago, razark said:

I want something different.

I went camping with friends this weekend.  Before I left, I made a big pot of chicken stew to reheat over the camp stove.

On returning home, I ordered the replacement part I need to get the stove working.

It's been leftovers all week.

That's tough

And right now as I'm typing this I am currently sitting at a table, with garlic bread and a large chocolate milk besides me. Best $3.50 meal deal ever

13 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Mmmmm, I miss good South African food too. Braaivleis on the beach at Christmas. Homemade rusks. Potjiekos. Koeksisters. Melktert. King Pie. Nando's.

Greets

Forget King Pie, they (or at least the local franchises) has decided that Flavor = more ground chili seed in everything. You can't taste the pepper in the pepper steak, you can't taste the chicken in the chicken and mushroom. You can't taste anything for hours after eating the damn thing. All you can taste is cheap chili. They nearly put my wife in hospital because she can't tolerate chili at all any more (stomach ulcers). When you complain the staff just shrugs.

If you are a former Durban-ite you will know Bread Ahead, from whom I have only actually purchased bread once. Bread-Ahead is where to go for pies. 

Homemade rusks, hmm, you need to find someone who knows what they're doing, otherwise you're just getting dry, crunchy bread. Good buttermilk rusk... hmm... yum... practically ambrosia. 

Nando's is available in the UK now. If you are not in the UK you could always get a relative to send you a bottle or two (or ten of the Nando's extra hot sauce). Its for sale in most good supermarkets. Customs might confiscate it though, depending on where you now live.

If you know your way around a kitchen there are more than enough milktart (melktert) recipes online. I'm not that comfortable around a kitchen (although I do do something that could be called cooking) but I given online recipes to people who have never made a milktart, and I've been happy to eat the results.

Now, what food in Jeb thinking about? And was it Bob or Val who stole his favourite childhood dessert out of the fridge at the Astronaut Center while Jeb was in orbit last week? Or was it one of those tourists? 

Regards

Orc

9 hours ago, Orc said:

Greets

Forget King Pie, they (or at least the local franchises) has decided that Flavor = more ground chili seed in everything. You can't taste the pepper in the pepper steak, you can't taste the chicken in the chicken and mushroom. You can't taste anything for hours after eating the damn thing. All you can taste is cheap chili. They nearly put my wife in hospital because she can't tolerate chili at all any more (stomach ulcers). When you complain the staff just shrugs.

Ah, that's a shame. When I was living down there 20 years ago King Pie was the bomb, I spent probably a third of my lunches there. All of my co-workers were going to McDonalds, because it was new and different for them, and I was all: :huh:

9 hours ago, Orc said:

If you are a former Durban-ite you will know Bread Ahead, from whom I have only actually purchased bread once. Bread-Ahead is where to go for pies. 

Nope, only visited Durbs once. I spent most of my time between Pretoria and Joburg. My wife's family lived in Knysna, so we visited that area a lot as well. Her father actually owned his own pie shop down there, but that was a bit of a commute for lunch.

9 hours ago, Orc said:

Homemade rusks, hmm, you need to find someone who knows what they're doing, otherwise you're just getting dry, crunchy bread. Good buttermilk rusk... hmm... yum... practically ambrosia. 

We had friends who would borrow our kitchen to make rusks and give us a third for our trouble when they were done. Absolutely divine. Put Ouma's to shame.

9 hours ago, Orc said:

Nando's is available in the UK now. If you are not in the UK you could always get a relative to send you a bottle or two (or ten of the Nando's extra hot sauce). Its for sale in most good supermarkets. Customs might confiscate it though, depending on where you now live.

Nope, no Nando's in Arizona yet. Here in the U.S. they only have them in Washington D.C. and Chicago. We're planning an East Coast trip, probably in 2020 at this point, and while we're in DC getting at least one meal at Nando's is on the priority list.

I can get Nando's hot sauce in the supermarket here. Tried making the chicken with it. It's not the same.

9 hours ago, Orc said:

If you know your way around a kitchen there are more than enough milktart (melktert) recipes online. I'm not that comfortable around a kitchen (although I do do something that could be called cooking) but I given online recipes to people who have never made a milktart, and I've been happy to eat the results.

You know, I tried making my own melktert a long time ago. It was...less than successful. But my culinary skills are greatly increased since then, I should try again.

I do make my own biltong, so that I do not suffer the loss of.

9 hours ago, Orc said:

Now, what food in Jeb thinking about? And was it Bob or Val who stole his favourite childhood dessert out of the fridge at the Astronaut Center while Jeb was in orbit last week? Or was it one of those tourists? 

I'm still convinced that any mission Jeb undertakes he requires to be equipped with a full bar. Which I imagine leads to scenes such as this:

Greets all and TheSaint in particular,

On 11/16/2018 at 6:23 PM, TheSaint said:

Ah, that's a shame. When I was living down there 20 years ago King Pie was the bomb, I spent probably a third of my lunches there. All of my co-workers were going to McDonalds, because it was new and different for them, and I was all: :huh:

Yep, King Pie used to be very good, which is why I went back to them. It is a shame when standards change / slip.

McDs is not my favorite food but they are gobbling up the fast food market here in ZA because of one singular feature of their business model: Service. It doesn't matter where you go you get the same service, and its good (very good by some South African standards), and the drive-throughs are drive-throughs, not drive, wait, turn off the engine, wait for the person on the other end of the intercom to wake up, speak and get misunderstood, drive to the pay point and get charged for someone else order.

I can get Nando's hot sauce in the supermarket here. Tried making the chicken with it. It's not the same.

Warning: Passing on info from a third party who will probably deny everything on the basis that too much tequila was involved. To get the same Nando's effect you need to marinade the chicken with the hot sauce, preferably for days, preferably after having stabbed the chicken multiple times with a sharp fork. And using a bit of tequila to loosen up the marinade doesn't hurt. Then you need to flame grill it.

I do make my own biltong, so that I do not suffer the loss of.

Making biltong is something I have always left to the professionals, (a) if you screw it up its a waste of a perfectly good piece of meat, and (b) if you screw up and don't find out about it until three hours AFTER you've eaten the stuff it can be an expensive and very unpleasant trip to the ER.

This morning's food on the mind is grilled Dorado medallion with a massive side order of fries, all doused in large amounts of rough sea salt and brown vinegar. The best place to get it is a little place called the Fish Plaice in Glen Ashley, which is technically in Durban. I miss Durban. I miss good food. 

Regards

Orc

9 hours ago, Orc said:

Warning: Passing on info from a third party who will probably deny everything on the basis that too much tequila was involved. To get the same Nando's effect you need to marinade the chicken with the hot sauce, preferably for days, preferably after having stabbed the chicken multiple times with a sharp fork. And using a bit of tequila to loosen up the marinade doesn't hurt. Then you need to flame grill it.

Tried that (except the tequila part). I suspect that the Nando's sauces here in the States are formulated differently than the sauces in SA. Everything here is famously made sweeter than it is in the rest of the world, with liberal additions of high fructose corn syrup. I am a little apprehensive that we will make all the effort to go to a Nando's restaurant on our next big trip East and it will suck, thus ruining all these years of anticipation I have created in my family with the stories about how awesome it was. But it's a risk I'm willing to take.

9 hours ago, Orc said:

Making biltong is something I have always left to the professionals, (a) if you screw it up its a waste of a perfectly good piece of meat, and (b) if you screw up and don't find out about it until three hours AFTER you've eaten the stuff it can be an expensive and very unpleasant trip to the ER.

Well, I learned that what really matters with biltong is the cure/seasoning, not the traditional "hang-it-in-the-garage-for-weeks" method of production. So I make mine in a dehydrator. It's dry in a couple of days, and much more hygienic.

9 hours ago, Orc said:

This morning's food on the mind is grilled Dorado medallion with a massive side order of fries, all doused in large amounts of rough sea salt and brown vinegar. The best place to get it is a little place called the Fish Plaice in Glen Ashley, which is technically in Durban. I miss Durban. I miss good food. 

When I was a kid my mom and dad were huge fish and chips fans, since they were both born and raised in New England. But I couldn't stand it. They would go to the fish and chips place, I would walk across the street and have Burger King. Now that I'm older and I can appreciate an excellent fish and chips, nobody makes it right anymore. They all cover the fish in bread crumbs, because that is somehow "healthier". It should be dipped in batter and deep-fried. And then doused in malt vinegar (which is what made me think of this). There's only one place in town that does this right, that I know of, and it is, oddly enough, a burger joint. I'm going there for dinner with a friend of mine next week, I might be having fish and chips now.

3 hours ago, YNM said:

It's interesting to see the foodstuffs you've come up with. (also it appears the flow is reversed there a bit)

Between my wife and I we've visited most of the major regions of the world at this point. And we cook a lot of the foods from the places we've visited. So my kids have never had the opportunity to be fussy eaters. They have their days when they just don't like what is for dinner, which is fine. But they meet those kids who won't eat anything except chicken nuggets and pizza and they look at them like they have horns coming out of their heads.

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

And we cook a lot of the foods from the places we've visited.

I was referring to South African culinaries (so @Orc as well). Like, despite 3.5 centuries of occupation, our foodstuffs barely changed (if anything now they take many of our styles), whereas there it seems the influence combination is a lot more pronounced. That being said, Nandos has gone to the UK as well.

The only thing I'm still resisting to eat is petai, jengkol, and durian. I can't stand their smell (though we'll see whether that'd be reversed one day !).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.