The food you're craving right now...

adsii1970

2 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Oh my gosh yes. A salty, soft, nice pretzel oh YAAS. 

On 8/31/2018 at 6:18 PM, TheSaint said:

steak-house.jpg

2 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Oh my gosh yes. A salty, soft, nice pretzel oh YAAS. 

Now that would be good. A nice thick and juicy steak AND a hot, fresh, salty pretzel with beer cheese sauce! :D 

Now get to cooking, @Just Jim!

On 5/10/2018 at 7:26 PM, p1t1o said:

Anyone ever tried that salty licquorice from Scandinavia?

Hide contents

You might like it if you like torture, hell and awful things.

Agreed... it's the stuff of the Kraken.

I was brought up on Liqurice Allsorts, so I'm firmly of th belief that liqourice should be in modest quantities and added to lots of sugar :)

Even worse though is salty boiled sweets. Many years ago on a previous working trip here, someone offered me a lemon sweet. It was nice at first, until I got to the cavity in the middle that was full of salt.

The chocolate here is pretty good though.

As for what I'm craving... a pasty.

Pastry wrapped foods, especially savoury ones, seem to be a concept alien to the bit of Scandinavia I'm in. So no cornish pasties, curry slices, meat pies etc. Where's a Greggs when you need it (ok, their stuff isn't great, but does come wrapped in pastry).

Edited by purpleivan

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Nutella. Mmmmmm.

Image result for nutella

I never got the whole Nutella thing. All my friends in South Africa were crazy about it. I tried it, and was unimpressed. I group it with the whole Bovril/Marmite thing: You just have to grow up with it.

What I could really go for right now: Toasted banana sandwich. Toast two slices of bread, extra butter, slice a banana on one, dust it with a little cinnamon, make a sandwich, have at it. Used to have those all the time for breakfast when I was a kid. No idea why I'm craving one now.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:20 AM, TheSaint said:

I never got the whole Nutella thing. All my friends in South Africa were crazy about it. I tried it, and was unimpressed. I group it with the whole Bovril/Marmite thing: You just have to grow up with it.

I grew up with it when my father was stationed in Germany. I never saw it before until then (1984). I literally couldn't get enough of it. Later in life, when I returned to the U.S. from being stationed in Germany in the early 1990s, there it was - on the shelf next to the peanut butter in Kroger's. Haven't eaten it since...

17 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

A well-made cheese pizza, with a good crust and a variety of flavorful cheeses, is highly underrated.

Agreed. Especially when feta cheese is added to it. Wow, what a pizza!

Edited by adsii1970

4 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

I guess that kinda thing is nice...

just kinda strong

Yeah, it is. But when you've got a provolone, it has a well-balanced flavor. Oh, and the pizza needs to be cooked in a wood pizza oven... Now that is dining at its best. We have one place in town that still has a wood pizza oven. And... yes, a large cheese pizza (about a 28" pizza with seven cheeses) is nearly $35 U.S. (€29.73) - but definitely worth it.

We order a hand-tossed crust... very, very nice...

Edited by adsii1970

I was actually a little disappointed on our road trip this summer. We stayed with my wife's cousin in New York, and since we stayed with them we ate most of our meals with them as well. We had pizza for our last lunch there, it was from their local pizza joint down the street, and it was...okay. If it had been just us we would have gone on Yelp or RoadEats and found The Best Pizza Joint in New York (tm). Because, how many times are we going to be eating pizza in New York, right? But, family, whadda ya gonna do? <shrug>

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Yeah, it is. But when you've got a provolone, it has a well-balanced flavor. Oh, and the pizza needs to be cooked in a wood pizza oven... Now that is dining at its best. We have one place in town that still has a wood pizza oven. And... yes, a large cheese pizza (about a 28" pizza with seven cheeses) is nearly $35 U.S. (€29.73) - but definitely worth it.

We order a hand-tossed crust... very, very nice...

Wheee! You should be my pizza critic!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

Cookie. Give me a cookie. Any type of cookie. I NEED A COOKIE.

Here you go, though i am sure you just had one of these: d27e39a08330a1491ee0a2e9fa4db089c1534445866

:-)

Fried potatoes. In a pan with olive oil and onion rings. One side crispy like a cracker. And a green side salad.

And a little ketchup won't harm. We do not live on Mars, fortunately :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.