What game mode do you prefer?

Athen

22 hours ago, Athen said:

Oh, sorry if someone already did this, I've been not too active until yesterday.

Not a problem.  I'm just old and think that not recent things are recent.   Dig through the top few pages of the discussion forum and you'll find it. 

1 hour ago, MDZhB said:

Career/science mode doesn't really appeal to me. Maybe once I get a little better at the game I'll want more challenge

That's what I did.  A lot of people recommend starting on science to avoid getting overwhelmed by all the parts choices, but it worked pretty well for me starting on sandbox to learn how to do stuff before adding in having to gather science & money

I usually prefer to play in science mod. I can’t really get into career mode because I enjoy exploring the Kerbol System for the pursuit of SCIENCE! while having all the parts and buildings unlocked. The process of getting said parts through science is also fun. However, I find the complexities of career mode - budget, finances, contracts, reputation, etc - to be a bit too daunting for me. I’m hoping to one day make a main career mode save to play through. Speaking of these main saves, I have one in science mode that I’ve been playing since version 1.2 or 1.3, and I’m hoping it will work in 1.4 (I know that my sandbox saves work, so I’m hoping it will be the same for the science save).

I also often play in sandbox mode if I’m bored with serious mission planing and large-scale projects. After weeks of taking the game seriously, it’s a breath of fresh air to spaghettify Kerbals, summon the Kraken, and build eight kilometer long death lasers (don’t ask).

Career mode for me, and Im still on my first run. I find the contracts and the managing part of the game very interesting, always keeps me busy and forces me to make ships for specific missions or under certain budget.  

For example, I made a nice ship to land on Mun, Minmus and return to Kerbin, costs 380K.  After a botched mission, I was left with 290K, a crew stranded on Minmus and a rescue contract on the Mun, wich I needed to do to get money.   If I was playing sandbox I wouldnt have changed the original prototype, but Career forced me to make a barebones version, (almost no electric charge, no comms, tiny landing gear, budget life support, no lights, ports or extra fuel, no RCS, no fancy solar panels, no heat shields, no autopilot, minimal reaction wheels, etc.).

I wouldnt have had that challenge in Sandbox. Shaving 100K out of a ship that I already thought was balanced.

I always go career, but I never have funding issues, never take a contract for the money, and I mod my tech tree so's I have to go far, far out into the solar system to complete it...

On the whole I should probably go science in 1.5.

(But I'm way too far into the game to change now. I'll just continue making all my money from exploration contracts and world firsts...)

I think that same like above. Most of my play is career. Sometimes sandbox.

I love playing MMORPGs like Blade and Soul and maybe it is why. There is no other modes like "carrer". I mean it is not just carrer like everyone here mean. It is just RPG so your character is your path of play. BnS is one of these game which my brother shows me up. I was young then so I fall in love with this martial arts anime style game. I like it really much and it is why I sometimes buy blade and soul gold https://www.sellersandfriends.com/blade-and-soul/na/gold because always I want to have the best weapons, iteams, gear and more. I can fully recommend this game to everybody who have time to play. You can also check the path of play avaliable in Blade and Soul. Great game for taking inspirations.

Edited by func

It has always been sandbox. But career also occasionally. Right now I'm only into modded career and sandbox in RSS, but these habits can shift quite rapidly from time to time. I never do science mode. It's the whole career package or none at all.

I basically play sort of a Sandbox+ where  I unlock all the things but my Kerbals gain experience and Final Frontier ribbons, and take contracts as I see fit.

I like the idea of Career and Science but never seem to get into them...I like to build big Kerbal ideas and do my own things.

3 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

I basically play sort of a Sandbox+ where  I unlock all the things but my Kerbals gain experience and Final Frontier ribbons, and take contracts as I see fit.

I like the idea of Career and Science but never seem to get into them...I like to build big Kerbal ideas and do my own things.

Me too.

I play career, while keeping a sandbox save for testing. My 'business' is mostly into tours, rescues/recoveries, flags, science transmissions, mining and sentinel deployments -things that fit what I do in the game anyway. I was also doing asteroid contracts back in the day, but I haven't gotten back into it -I propably will at some point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.