[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

I am getting NullReferenceExceptions spamming the log file. Modded 1.4.5  v1.1.5.3 Log File Link

[EXC 14:27:47.342] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Surface.ImpactProcessor.drawImpact (Color color)
	KerbalEngineer.Flight.FlightEngineerCore.OnRenderObject ()

If I'm guessing this has to do with the impact marker which was on for the last landing I did before returning to the space center, but the spamming seems to come in scenes where the impact marker shouldn't be displayed anyway. Near the end of the attached log file I was in Mission Control and then quit and exited the game, the exceptions are fast and frequently

Edited by Tonka Crash
Forgot log file

I'm having some problems with incorrect Dv readings after dropping tanks (with fuel still in them).

Is there a way to force KE to recalculate everything?

The problem can be exerbated by using KIS ports to link and shift fuel around and detach again.

After dropping tanks and attempting to leave the mun with apparently over 1k Dv, I found I couldn't even get into mun orbit, acording to my orbital velocity when I ran out of fuel I had only 300 m/s.

Saveskummed and used KIS ports to link the ship to the tanks I'd dropped the Dv showed 400 or so, after transferring fuel around a bit more till I had approximately 1000, I attempted to get home again, and again ran out before expected.

I'm attempting to leave as much fuel behind as possible, or I'd just fill the tanks on the return vehicle and be done with it.

KE 1.1.5.3 from CKAN.  with KSP 1.4.9 Linux

Edited by se5a

So I tried emptying the tanks, and disconnecting the tanks from the ship (KAS CC-R2 Connector Ports) Dv reads 0. connect the tank back up and moved all the fuel back into the ship and disconnect the tank again. Dv now reads over 3k. it should be ~ 1k. 

not sure what's going on here, is it miscalculating the amount of fuel? ship start mass looked about right, but the end mass didn't really add up, I'll have to double check that.

Edited by se5a

KER reading on the mun with mostly full tanks. Dv >3k!!! stage mass is wrong here.

gx5pEcc.png

KER reading in the VAB for this stage. as you can see the full tank Dv should be 1110m/s and the stage weight should be 4365kg.

Total mass is a little different due to not having full tanks on the mun picture, and some of the supplies will be consumed as well.

sgpDCTc.jpg

Not 100% sure how to reliably reproduce this issue yet, will have to do some more experiments. 

Edited by se5a

@se5a I would guess this is a mod problem. When the KER simulation runs, it does so from scratch each time, nothing carries over from previous runs, so the only way for the dV to be wrong is one or more of the parts are reporting an incorrect value. To fix this I'd need a very easy way to reproduce the problem with a minimal number of parts so I can go thru the simulation log and see what values don't make sense.

I'll have another play around and see if I can figure out what's going on. I'm pretty sure that on that design the only fuel carrying or using parts are stock.

I did have a rover nearby which had a mechjeb module on it, which I temporarily moved it to this particular ship, mechjeb appeared to give a correct Dv reading.

Emptying it and refilling it via KAS ports appeared to make the problem worse, so I'm guessing it's a KIS/KAS conflict somehow, I'll have another play around with just those mods and KER and see if I can reproduce it.

@jrbudda, the new landing marker is very useful.  Thanks for that!

As a suggestion: on planets with atmosphere, consider showing the point of atmosphere entry too — maybe with a blue bulls-eye or something.  It'd be helpful when setting up spaceplane landing approaches.

@jrbudda I suspect it could be the Making History Expansion's Fuel Tanks or Adapters that are causing the issue.

I've not narrowed down which (or all, or even confirmed it yet) but I'm noticing a pattern, often my sats have an incorrect Dv reading (got one that has 0Dv even though it's not a nearly full tank) and they're all using the expansion tanks, as did the original ship. 

6 hours ago, VSPRemag said:

good mod but pls update. We are already 8 versions (I mean all updates) of ksp later then 1.3.0.

The latest version works just fine, and is linked to in this thread, most recently on the preceding page.

On 9/9/2018 at 2:14 PM, VSPRemag said:

good mod but pls update. We are already 8 versions (I mean all updates) of ksp later then 1.3.0.

As above, this is @cybutek‘s thread, and he left KER development around 1.3.0. @jrbudda is now developing the mod and because it’s not his thread he can’t change the title. If you look on github or CKAN, you’ll see that the mod is fully up to date.

But as @AVaughan said, maybe it’s time for @jrbudda to start a new thread.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2018 at 8:10 PM, dustinthenow said:

Hi! So when attempting to minimize Kerbal Engineer Redux while in the VAB, KE was reduced to 2 little vertical rectangles and won’t open now.

I’m wondering if there is a fix for this!

Funny, I came here to ask this, too. I'm running KSP 1.3.1, installed KER with CKAN. I tried installing and uninstalling KER but it changed nothing. Here's how it looks: https://imgur.com/0bD7n7W

46 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

Funny, I came here to ask this, too. I'm running KSP 1.3.1, installed KER with CKAN. I tried installing and uninstalling KER but it changed nothing. Here's how it looks: https://imgur.com/0bD7n7W

25 minutes ago, dustinthenow said:

Yup! That’s exactly what I had! What I did, is I completely removed it from the Game Data Folder, and put a clean download of KER in the Game Data. It’s importiant to restart your game in between deleting the old KER and installing the new one! Hope it works for you, it did for me!

There's something else involved.  I just took my old KSP 1.3.1 install and added it into CKAN.  I set it to only select KSP 1.3 compatibility.  I then updated and saw there was only one version of KER that was compatible, 1.1.3.0.  I installed it and lauched KSP.  Could start a new game and go in and KER worked fine.  I had to add a Command Pod, then I went into KER's setup and changed it to Partless just to have it work more simply.

35 minutes ago, dustinthenow said:

Yup! That’s exactly what I had! What I did, is I completely removed it from the Game Data Folder, and put a clean download of KER in the Game Data. It’s importiant to restart your game in between deleting the old KER and installing the new one! Hope it works for you, it did for me!

Hmm, that's what I did, too, but it didn't work. To be clear, I uninstalled KER, restart game, close game, install KER, restart, still bugged >.<

7 minutes ago, Jacke said:

There's something else involved.  I just took my old KSP 1.3.1 install and added it into CKAN.  I set it to only select KSP 1.3 compatibility.  I then updated and saw there was only one version of KER that was compatible, 1.1.3.0.  I installed it and lauched KSP.  Could start a new game and go in and KER worked fine.  I had to add a Command Pod, then I went into KER's setup and changed it to Partless just to have it work more simply.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm using KER 1.1.3.0, too. Also, where is KER's setup?

52 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

Hmm, that's what I did, too, but it didn't work. To be clear, I uninstalled KER, restart game, close game, install KER, restart, still bugged >.<

You installed KER with CKAN.  When you uninstalled it, CKAN will only remove the files that it installed.  Any config or other files that KER created will still be there.

I don't think there's anything important there in your case, so you can do this to clean out KER while KSP isn't runninng.

1.  Remove KER via CKAN.  Exit CKAN.

2.  Go to "GameData" and move the directory "KerbalEngineer" out of GameData, say to your desktop.  Or you can rename it to something different.

3.  Start CKAN.  Click on "Refresh".  Install KER.  If KER installs without an error, start KSP via CKAN.

52 minutes ago, 1straycat said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm using KER 1.1.3.0, too. Also, where is KER's setup?

It's all in "GameData/KerbalEngineer".  This is what it looks like if you install it clean and start a new sandbox (career should be similar).

1.  Create new KSP sandbox game.

2.  Enter the VAB.  You should see a white-on-black KER icon on the stock toolbar.

3.  Place any command pod.  You should see the KER icon change to white-on-grey and the KER window pop up, mostly as a title bar right now.

4.  Click on the 2nd button from the right, "Settings".  You'll see the Settings display in the KER window.

5.  You may want to adjust "Flight Engineer activation mode" to Partless by pressing the "Partless" button.

6.  You may want to adjust "Flight Engineer Career Limitations" by pressing "Kerbal" and "Tracking" to pop them out and turn them off.

I believe those last two are for restricting KER in Careers by the level of Kerbal crew experience and the Tracking Center upgrades.

If you don't see this, it's likely something else is screwing up KER.  Need to see logs to have any idea of what the issue is.  There are a number of ways to resolve other issues.  Because you're installed via CKAN, you can follow this process to do a clean and reinstall of CKAN.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Clean-and-reinstall-process

14 minutes ago, Jacke said:

You installed KER with CKAN.  When you uninstalled it, CKAN will only remove the files that it installed.  Any config or other files that KER created will still be there.

Thanks, I never realized this about CKAN, and it explains some other CKAN issues I had before ^_^

I just deleted the KER folder and replaced it with a backup I had for some other purpose, which solved it while keeping my settings.

21 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@jrbudda did Low Space Alt and High Atmosphere Alt readings get deprecated at some point? 

I've used them for a long time, but went to look for them in the latest build and can't find them anymore.

They're under the BODY group at this point; used them myself just last week.

20 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

They're under the BODY group at this point; used them myself just last week.

Odd... I'm looking at the BODY section right now and they're not in there. Are you using @jrbudda's 1.1.5.3?

Here's everything in the BODY list, there are only 10 items in it:

kbSetnW.jpg

I9LBZuQ.jpg

Edited by Tyko

10 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Odd... I'm looking at the BODY section right now and they're not in there. Are you using @jrbudda's 1.1.5.3?

Here's everything in the BODY list, there are only 10 items in it: <snip>

Um... Your screenshot shows you already have High Space Alt and Low Space Alt installed, which is almost definitely why they're not available in the upper window.

1 minute ago, JH4C said:

Um... Your screenshot shows you already have High Space Alt and Low Space Alt installed, which is almost definitely why they're not available in the upper window.

Thanks...I'm being dumb....I was thrown off because I was getting a low space altitude of 0.0m, but...duh...if you're above an airless body your low space goes all the way to the ground.   :/  

I thought the numbers were off because of a change to the mod. In fact it's just me not thinking it through.

Appreciate your help

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.