[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

9 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Question: How difficult would it be for the atmospheric speed adjustment in the editor show speed in m/s as well as Mach? I've read that the atmo density calcs have gotten more complex than the old scale height-based system, but it would be a nice feature to have.

Well, the velocity correction works using mach so it would need to calculate the speed of sound for the body and altitude to work it out. Also, the speed changes with density which implies that it will also change with temperature and hence with time of day. An approximate m/s value should be pretty easy though. 

2 minutes ago, Skalou said:

the mod aero GUI  display both: the local "speed of sound" and the ship "mach number" but in flight.

I use this one too, and I already asked Padishar to add support for getting the data from it and adding it to custom KER windows (if not integrate its code directly, somehow I'm sure NathanKell wouldn't mind). But I'm probably pushing my luck with how much of my nagging he'll tolerate. :)

@TaintedLion Are you running the test build for 1.0.5? Directions in case you are not:

1. Go here: https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer
2. Click "Download ZIP" at lower right.
3. Open the zip and navigate to the "Output" folder.
4. Copy the "KerbalEngineer" folder from there to your GameData folder.
5. Enjoy!

21 minutes ago, leocrumb said:

Its a credit to KER that Kerbal is impossible for me without it, is there any projected date for the release compatible with 1.05?

Dont mean to be pushy :)

While it's not an official release literally the post above yours, mate.

I hope this is not in the wrong forum.  I have an odd problem with KER.  I am using the provisional 1.0.5 compatible release I found here

I am building a simple mining lander.  Holding tank, fuel tank, engines.  But KER does not give me any delta v in the VAB.  In fact it says delta v is zero (see HUD below in picture).  When I take it off to the launchpad I have 3000 m/s delta v and it goes up OK.  what's going on?

Log file here:

Picture here.

Spoiler

YE05yeZ.png

P S I notice that it has something to do with disabling staging.

I took those rockomax's off, replaced the structural pylons with radial decouplers.  Delta v showed up in KER as it should.  When I disabled the staging, the delta v disappeared.  When I re-enable staging, delta V stays zero. Hmmf.

Edited by Clear Air Turbulence

22 hours ago, Melfice said:

While it's not an official release literally the post above yours, mate.

Thx :)

Another question, where are the settings for KER saved. Everytime I update the mod I have to go in and redo all off the windows and HUDs I like for each version. Is there a simpler way to streamline this? Maybe some file I can copy or bits of it to cut and paste for my settings?

Both in 1.04 and 1.05, I have had some issues with mother ships reporting 0 dv while in space. It's where you have your main engines pushing around other craft that have inactive engines facing all over the place. Is there some way I can simplify things so that I can get a proper dv reading on the main ship? Sometimes it works for a while and sometimes it doesn't, and I'm not sure exactly what is tripping it up. It's always in very complicated situations.

@cephalo This is a known issue with complex vessels due to how the simulation code handles the staging. If the currently active engines are different to what is implied by the staging setup then it should calculate the dV from burning those engines until totally out of fuel before continuing with the defined stages. However, it does seem there is a problem where it can still decide to stage immediately resulting in the display showing 0 for the current stage. Does it also show 0 for the total?  Can you upload a save containing the vessel?

Hopefully I'll manage to get a bit of time this weekend to look at some of the issues and example craft that cause problems, especially simple, stock ones, make it much easier and quicker to find and fix bugs so, if anyone has any example craft or saves, either for 1.0.5 specific things or for older issues, then please upload them and send a link either in the thread or in a pm.

Ok, I think I'm doing this right... here is my persistent.sfs file. Is that enough? The ship in question is in LKO called Jool Explorer. The staging past the immediate mother ship engines is mostly jumbled nonsense. It's the kind of thing you fix when the craft is separated.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CB0180222D11BD3E!11552&authkey=!ANI25lxLcwPNaAk&ithint=file%2czip

Edited by cephalo

One thing that I've wanted for a long time is denser information lines.  For example, right now we have Ap Height and Pe Height as two separate readings.  What I would like to see is "Height (Ap/Pe)" with both readings on the same line similar to how "DeltaV (C/T)" works.

My wishlist for single-line, multiple values displayed.

• Height (Ap/Pe)
  • Time to (Ap/Pe)
  • Time to Equ (AN/DN)
  • Angle to Equ (AN/DN)
  • Post-burn (Ap/Pe)
  • Time to Rel (AN/DN)
  • Angle to Rel (AN/DN)
  • Axis Semi (major/minor)
  • Angle to (pro/retro)

I am having an issue with KER. KER works perfectly fine in the VAB and SPH however I can not access any KER feature while trying to launch or fly my vessels. I have tried the latest 1.04 version and the new dev 1.05 version. If there is anything you might want to look at I will endeavor to get it available for you. Is this issue due to KER or can it be a conflict with another mod? This started recently even tho i was using 1.04 with my modlist without issue then the bug started.

Yea I just found this out by placing the part on out of curiosity. If i recall correctly, some versions of KER didnt require the part or engineer to be on vessels. I didn't realize that changed

Thank you for the quick reply however. I feel like silly for not checking that

Edited by Shecter

I think the engineer providing KER data is actually kind of neat and gives them something to do other that wait for something that will hopefully never break :P  Anyways, I'm giving bulk feedback!  I see reference bodies for everywhere except for Kerbol.  Any particular reason?  I never gave it much thought before but it seems like missing data, I assume it's because you never take off from the sun but you have Jool listed.  Also, the air-breathing engine readouts are variously incorrect.  I'm guessing it doesn't deal with the latest fuel revisions for air-breathing engines but here's a simple example.  Note the addition of fuel reduces the dV and burn time stays the same.  Clearly it's not counting them as part of calculations.  Adding fuel lines reveals it's errors!

Edited by Hyomoto
I don't know if the album is showing properly, should be fine though

On 11/19/2015, 4:48:06, Red Iron Crown said:

1. Go here: https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer
2. Click "Download ZIP" at lower right.
3. Open the zip and navigate to the "Output" folder.
4. Copy the "KerbalEngineer" folder from there to your GameData folder.
5. Enjoy!

Ok I downloaded the zip, extracted it and opened KerbalEngineer-master.  I see folders labeled Assets, Documents, KerbalEngineer, and Output.  I open the Output folder and see KerbalEngineer.  I'm assuming this is the one that goes in GameData but I'm not getting any KER functions.  What am I doing wrong?  Is it the KerbalEngineer above the output folder?  Neither one seem to do anything.

Furthermore, I put KER for 1.0.4 back in GameData and still get no KER button, even though it worked a few minutes before I started faffing about with it.  Any ideas.

Ok I think I figured it out.  I'm not very good with computers.

Edited by Aethon

I have an issue that I am not sure whether it is a problem with KER, or some of the mods in Realism Overhaul and RP-0. 

Delta-V and other statistics are measured correctly at the VAB, but during flight they are seriously messed up, with the current stage always showing as 0, and the other stages showing numbers that vary wildly during the flight. TWRs and burning times also seem to have similar problems. Any ideas if a fix is possible?

I believe this is the known issue that KER has with the latest version of Real Fuels. It will be fixed when I or someone else finds some time to look at it. I'm still too busy with work and other real life stuff to spend much time at all on "hobby" things.

46 minutes ago, Padishar said:

I believe this is the known issue that KER has with the latest version of Real Fuels. It will be fixed when I or someone else finds some time to look at it. I'm still too busy with work and other real life stuff to spend much time at all on "hobby" things.

Ow, OK! Good that it is a known issue, and that the cause was found already.

Thank you for the quick reply!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.