[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Hi RIC

That's what I did. I did get the version for 1.0.5.  At least I think I did.  I downloaded it shortly after it was posted up. It was not on the main KER page but it was in a link someone provided in the comments page.  And it works perfectly.

But once every 20 times I open KSP or so, I get that message. 

Anyway, I will delete Kerbal Engineer and re-download...

Edited by Clear Air Turbulence

1 hour ago, Clear Air Turbulence said:

Hi RIC

That's what I did. I did get the version for 1.0.5.  At least I think I did.  I downloaded it shortly after it was posted up. It was not on the main KER page but it was in a link someone provided in the comments page.  And it works perfectly.

But once every 20 times I open KSP or so, I get that message. 

Anyway, I will delete Kerbal Engineer and re-download...

goto the Output Folder and copy and paste Kerbal Engineer to your gamedata folder. The other Kerbal Engineer folder is not the one to copy.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears to me that Kerbal Engineer is calculating some ISPs wrong in some situations with hybrid craft.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a craft with one NERV engine, and 2 Dawn Engines.
  2. Provide fuel and payload.
  3. Kerbal engineer will report the ISP as 2030. I get 842.63 by hand. =64/((60/800)+(2/4200)*2)

The reason for this is probably that your Nerv and Dawn engines burn for different times.  You only get 842.63s while all the engines are burning.  Once the Nerv has run out of fuel your Isp becomes just the 4200 of the Dawns.  The value given by KER is the effective Isp of the entire stage, e.g. it effectively splits the stage into two sub-stages and then calculates the overall Isp of the stage from the stage's total deltaV.

If you change the amount of each type of fuel or tweak the thrust limits of the engines then this will change the burn times of the different engines and the effective Isp will change.

Edited by Padishar

2 hours ago, Padishar said:

If you change the amount of each type of fuel or tweak the thrust limits of the engines then this will change the burn times of the different engines and the effective Isp will change.

That's interesting... I would guess that changing thrust shouldn't impact effective Isp calculation. After all, we'll get the same dV from the same amount of fuel. Isn't KER calculation weighted by thrust or something? (I haven't done the actual math to check how it should look like.)

2 hours ago, charfa said:

That's interesting... I would guess that changing thrust shouldn't impact effective Isp calculation. After all, we'll get the same dV from the same amount of fuel. Isn't KER calculation weighted by thrust or something? (I haven't done the actual math to check how it should look like.)

Thrust is a critical factor in calculating the net Isp of a heterogenous cluster of engines, because it is done with a mass-flow-weighted average (and thrust is directly related to mass flow). If you have a mix of high and low efficiency engines, with a greater proportion of thrust produced by the high efficiency engines the cluster as a whole will have higher Isp.

1 hour ago, charfa said:

It also changes the burn time of the different types of engines.  If the two types burn out at the same time then the effective Isp should be the combined value calculated above.  If one type of engine burns out before the other then the effective Isp will be somewhere between the combined value and the value of the engines that keep burning.

17 hours ago, Padishar said:

The reason for this is probably that your Nerv and Dawn engines burn for different times.  You only get 842.63s while all the engines are burning.  Once the Nerv has run out of fuel your Isp becomes just the 4200 of the Dawns.  The value given by KER is the effective Isp of the entire stage, e.g. it effectively splits the stage into two sub-stages and then calculates the overall Isp of the stage from the stage's total deltaV.

It will change if you fiddle with the fuel, but I believe there is still a bug. Here's an experiment to illustrate the problem:

• With the design of one NERV, and two Dawns, add a radial Xenon container and some liquid fuel. (I used 1 Mk1 and 4 Mk0s)
  • Empty all the fuel tanks. Verify an Isp of 0, burn time 0.
  • Give the radial Xenon container the minimum amount of fuel (40/400). Verify the burn time; 41.2 secs; 4200 isp.
  • Empty the Xenon container. Add 70 total units of liquid fuel (be careful if you have mirrored tanks). Note an Isp of 800; burn time of 45.8 seconds; longer than the Dawns, but close.
  • Add back the 40 units of Xenon; Isp should be less than 842.63 (which you'd get if NERVs and Xenon's burned together exactly the same, should be a little less because NERVs burned 4.6 secs longer than the Dawns)
  • Engineer displays Isp of 1985.7, which is much too high.

That does sound wrong, I'll try to take a look at it sometime soon.  It would be a great help if you could try it in the version for 1.0.5.  Run KSP fresh, enter VAB, build (or load) ship, click the Settings button in KER, click the Log Simulation button, wait for a few seconds and quit KSP.  Then upload your output_log.txt (or player.log for mac/Linux) and post a link here...

This Is a really good mod. Matt Lowan uses this mod so when recording he very rarely needs to go to the map view. I have this mod installed and it provides infomation like your part count, how much delta-V you have on every single stage that has an engine with a fuel supply, and you apoapsis a periapsis.! Luv It and you must download!!!!

19 hours ago, Padishar said:

That does sound wrong, I'll try to take a look at it sometime soon.  It would be a great help if you could try it in the version for 1.0.5.  Run KSP fresh, enter VAB, build (or load) ship, click the Settings button in KER, click the Log Simulation button, wait for a few seconds and quit KSP.  Then upload your output_log.txt (or player.log for mac/Linux) and post a link here...

I'm using 1.0.18.0. Is there a newer version? How do I get it?

Not seeing the file you mention. Could you mean ksp.log, or do you mean a file that's in GameData/KerbalEngineer somewhere?

You go to the Kerbal Space Program website and log in. Then you go to account and and then you will see a list of versions. Click on 1.0.5 and whilst clcking on that, click on the sam operating system you have. (In this case I would click on...) KSP 1.0.5 Apple. Hope this helps you out a little bit as I have only been playing KSP for about 10 months.

Ok then. If you have the zip folder for KER, you delete both of them and then go to "Github" Github is good if you have an older version of KSP because it displays a list of versions of KER in the past. Last time I check on that website. I think it had KER all the way down to .90. I am pretty sure that if you go there, you will find what you are looking for. Then you download the file or zip code, un zip the zip code, drag the file in to gamedata and your Good to go!

Enjoy! :)

16 hours ago, Padishar said:

He meant the version of KER not KSP.  Have a look at Gryffen1971's post above...

OK, I have the copy for 1.0.5. Some questions:

When I click Settings, I see a button called, "Simulate using vectored thrust values" and a button called, "Verbose Simulation Log". Don't see a button called, "Log Simulation" Do you mean one of these two buttons, or is there a button missing?

I clicked both buttons and quit. I see a file called, "KerbalEngineer.log" in the KerbalEngineer folder and a file called, "KSP.log" in the main KSP folder. Don't see anything called, "output_log.txt" -- what folder should that one be in?

43 minutes ago, Wcmille said:

OK, I have the copy for 1.0.5. Some questions:

When I click Settings, I see a button called, "Simulate using vectored thrust values" and a button called, "Verbose Simulation Log". Don't see a button called, "Log Simulation" Do you mean one of these two buttons, or is there a button missing?

I clicked both buttons and quit. I see a file called, "KerbalEngineer.log" in the KerbalEngineer folder and a file called, "KSP.log" in the main KSP folder. Don't see anything called, "output_log.txt" -- what folder should that one be in?

Sorry, it is the "Verbose Simulation Log" button.  This makes the next run of the deltaV calculation code dump out lots of extra debugging info into KSP's log file.  On windows the file is called output_log.txt and, as Red Iron Crown said, it is in the KSP_Data folder.  On Linux or Mac it is called player.log and lives in some weird place (this thread tells you where if you need to know).

Hello
i am a litle confuse
on https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer last release is v1.0.18.0 what is for 1.0.4 KSP BUT if i download all master zip in Output/KerbalEngineer is v.1.0.19.2 what is for 1.0.5 KSP, soo KER is updated for 1.0.5, i know it say "silent update" ;) & what it make me more curios is description like "Prep for 1.0.7 release" aka we will get soon a new KSP version ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
salute

Odd question maybe, but does anyone know of any alternate part models besides the 2 it comes with?

They are both rather large and sometimes I'd like to use something smaller or even just different looking.

I know MechJeb has some alternate models if you look around for them, was hoping maybe some 3rd party made a couple for KER. Thanks in advance!

58 minutes ago, Blacks said:

Hello
i am a litle confuse
on https://github.com/CYBUTEK/KerbalEngineer last release is v1.0.18.0 what is for 1.0.4 KSP BUT if i download all master zip in Output/KerbalEngineer is v.1.0.19.2 what is for 1.0.5 KSP, soo KER is updated for 1.0.5, i know it say "silent update" ;) & what it make me more curios is description like "Prep for 1.0.7 release" aka we will get soon a new KSP version ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
salute

It hasn't been officially released as being 1.0.5 compatible because there are still some issues.  The "silent update" refers to the update that Squad released to 1.0.5.  It was originally released as 1.0.5.1024 but then Squad released 1.0.5.1028 without really telling anyone (hence the silent).  Where does it say "Prep for 1.0.7 release"?

24 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Odd question maybe, but does anyone know of any alternate part models besides the 2 it comes with?

They are both rather large and sometimes I'd like to use something smaller or even just different looking.

I know MechJeb has some alternate models if you look around for them, was hoping maybe some 3rd party made a couple for KER. Thanks in advance!

I'm not aware of any alternate models but there may be some.  You could switch it to "partless" mode in the settings which means you never need the parts at all.  Or, if you rather have a part, then you can quite easily copy any other part (e.g. the stock thermometer) and change the .cfg file to give it a new name, remove the science bits and add the bit that makes it a KER part (just look in the KER parts' .cfg files for the MODULE bit that is needed).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.