[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

OK so I did some tests this morning and found the problem was the LV-900 Beagle engines radially attatched to my craft. I simply discarded the engines and put new (the same) ones on and all worked fine. Any ideas as to why this happened?

EDIT : Just added a decoupler and the whole thing goes crazy again. Looking forward to finding out whats wrong with it.

EDIT EDIT: Now working OK again? Seems a random issue. Anyway, another thing I've found is now KER adds all my dV up and displays it as 1 total figure in the bottom stage. Its not displaying the dV in each stage as before. Is this a new thing or have I to change a setting, yet Ive been through the settings and nothing alters it?

Edited by maceemiller

1 minute ago, Kobymaru said:

This is kind of a stupid question, but since "The key to the left of the 1-Key" (^ on mine, ~ on US, I think?) was taken over by Stock, what hotkey do you guys use to bring up KER? And where can I set that?

For me it is at the top right of my screen. I use the Toolbar mod so could be why. All I did was click the icon and the options opened up.

7 hours ago, maceemiller said:

OK so I did some tests this morning and found the problem was the LV-900 Beagle engines radially attatched to my craft. I simply discarded the engines and put new (the same) ones on and all worked fine. Any ideas as to why this happened?

EDIT : Just added a decoupler and the whole thing goes crazy again. Looking forward to finding out whats wrong with it.

EDIT EDIT: Now working OK again? Seems a random issue. Anyway, another thing I've found is now KER adds all my dV up and displays it as 1 total figure in the bottom stage. Its not displaying the dV in each stage as before. Is this a new thing or have I to change a setting, yet Ive been through the settings and nothing alters it?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Ive reinstalled KER version 1.0.19.3 and all is working perfectly. Will see what, if anything is found out about about this new update.

I can reproduce with the following sequence, from scratch in the VAB (everything in a stack):

• add a tank (procedural)
  • add an Astris engine
  • configure/fill the tank. You get some 5500dv in stage 1
  • add a (stack) decoupler (procedural)
  • add a tank (procedural)
  • add an Astris engine
  • configure/fill the tank. You get some 1500dv in stage 2. At this point eveything is fine
  • add a "RCS boom" (extensible) on the side of the first tank. At this point stages get collapsed and you only have a stage 1 with some 7000dv

From that point some things get corrupted "in-memory" apparently, because removing the RCS boom does not solve the issue. Neither does removing it + quitting/re-entering the VAB.

4 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

This is kind of a stupid question, but since "The key to the left of the 1-Key" (^ on mine, ~ on US, I think?) was taken over by Stock, what hotkey do you guys use to bring up KER? And where can I set that?

In the VAB/SPH you can click the [SETTINGS] button, then [EDIT KEY BINDINGS].  The quick-hide key-bind is unassigned by default now due to the previously used key being high-jacked by stock functionality.  The up side is that you can now set the quick-hide key to whatever you want (even a mouse button (except primary click)).  The key-binds for in-editor and in-flight are also separate so you can use different keys for them if you so wish.

20 hours ago, maceemiller said:

KerbalEngineer
KerbalEngineer-master

It looks like you have two KER installs.  One of them, namely "KerbalEngineer-master" is a direct download from GitHub (presumably the old dev version) and wasn't removed when updating.

So far I have done tests with Real Fuels, Stock Revamp and Procedural parts.  None of these seem to be the cause of the issues.

26 minutes ago, cybutek said:

In the VAB/SPH you can click the [SETTINGS] button, then [EDIT KEY BINDINGS].  The quick-hide key-bind is unassigned by default now due to the previously used key being high-jacked by stock functionality.  The up side is that you can now set the quick-hide key to whatever you want (even a mouse button (except primary click)).  The key-binds for in-editor and in-flight are also separate so you can use different keys for them if you so wish.

Thank you! Is there a "recommended" key-binding for the in-flight menu? What do you personally use?

51 minutes ago, cybutek said:

It looks like you have two KER installs.  One of them, namely "KerbalEngineer-master" is a direct download from GitHub (presumably the old dev version) and wasn't removed when updating.

So far I have done tests with Real Fuels, Stock Revamp and Procedural parts.  None of these seem to be the cause of the issues.

Went back to the previous version and works perfectly so ill stick with that I reckon. 

On 2/11/2016 at 7:46 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

Sorry, wasn't specific. The stock resource panel at upper right by the toolbar shows total electrical charge and capacity.

Yeah, there's that.  I was more looking for something in my HUD that I could glance at rather that a menu I had to click on.

You don't need to add any part to the vessel for it to work in the VAB.  Unless you've deliberately set it to not use the stock toolbar it should always be there.  So, I presume that you haven't installed it correctly.

You should have a KerbalEngineer folder in your GameData folder.  This should contain a number of files (including the KerbalEngineer.dll) and 4 folders called Parts, Presets, Settings and Textures.

If you have it installed correctly then it is not being loaded for some reason.  This is usually a security issue, either caused by having the game installed somewhere like the desktop or the normal Program Files folder (you can easily copy the whole of the KSP folder to another location on your hard disk, e.g. C:\Games\KerbalSpaceProgram), and sometimes caused by the downloaded zip having been marked as unsafe because it was downloaded.  When extracted, the DLLs will still be marked as unsafe and may not be loaded by KSP.  You can fix this by right clicking on the zip you downloaded, selecting Properties and clicking the Unblock button if present.  Then totally delete the KerbalEngineer folder from GameData and extract it from the zip again.

Just now, MatterBeam said:

Make sure your root part comes after the staging, than before it.

Correct. Thanks!
That was actually the Stack Separator. Putting weight without separator solves issue.

Still, this makes designing Rockets for specific weight troublesome.

2 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

Correct. Thanks!
That was actually the Stack Separator. Putting weight without separator solves issue.

Still, this makes designing Rockets for specific weight troublesome.

Place a fuel tank on top of your lifter (no engines), make it the root part and in the right-click menu, stop the fuel flow. It'll turn into a dead weight which allows you to simulate payloads.

You can also use Ore tanks.

Edited by MatterBeam

I think I've encountered a bug, or I'm doing something wrong.

I have a single single Kerb vessel on a 3T LKO launcher and it looks like this.

KER-Bug-1.png

KER-Bug-2.png

Now everything is fine and it works perfectly! But I built that before I unlocked the LES. I've now unlocked it and I wanted to prove a concept for my next development so I retrofitted it to the Kinto II. The Delta-V calculations are completely wrong on the retrofitted model.

KER-Bug-3.png

KER-Bug-4.png

The only things added are a tweakscale'd LES, two interstage bases from 'Procedural Fairings', and their respective fairings. It didn't really add much weight. EDIT: The nosecone fairing is just a single piece, I've just divided it here to show the separation.

EDIT: I have now tested my retrofitted design and it still has way more Delta-V than required like the old design, so I could still bring the upper stage with my and have some left over.

As for the LES... The pad abort is risky as the final height is low and the chute deployment speed is slow, on accent is works outstandingly well, and jettison after SECO also works great bringing the just the nosecone with it.

Edited by Speedster159
Tested

Well, from the info you've provided I suspect one of the following:

• You have changed the root part of the vessel so that it is no longer in the payload.  KER does not handle the root part of the vessel being decoupled from the rest.  Any remaining stages will not calculate correctly.
  • There may be a bug with the handling of PF interstage fairings.  Other people have reported issues with these in the past but I don't know if there are any real issues.  It appears as though your fairings are being jettisoned in stage 5 and no stages after this are being calculated.

If the command pod isn't the root part then make it so and see if that fixes the numbers.

Another thing that may be affecting the calculations is that KER doesn't know when you activate stage 7 during the flight.  Stage 8 is firing the boosters and releasing the clamps, stage 7 starts the main engine and stage 6 decouples the spent SRBs.  I would need to either have a play with it myself or would need to see a log of the simulation code to see how KER is deciding to stage.  I don't have enough time to investigate it myself at the moment but if you can provide a log I should be able to take a quick look.  Please run KSP, load the rocket, click the Settings button in the KER window and then click the "Verbose simulation log" button.  Then close the settings and click the "All Stages" button and take another screenshot (this will include any stages for which the deltaV is calculated as 0) and upload it and the output_log.txt file (in the KSP_Data folder on windows).

I do not wish to step on anyone's free rights that have been granted via releasing KER under GPL, and wish to keep it as such.  But following the current happenings going on within the community, this announcement has to be said.

Simply put, I would like KER to maintain its simple and reliable update release flow.  This will require the community's good will to not mass re-distribute using services not within this current release flow.  It's already a complex enough procedure on each update, with multiple uploads, remembering forum thread changes, announcements etc.

The following is now visible on the first post:

Additional restriction guidelines
I do know that the GPL does not allow further restrictions, but please take the following amendment in good will.
Having old versions floating about masquerading as latest, and the lack of a smooth update release flow is bad for everyone.
Uploading a non-derivative work to a hosting service for the purpose of large scale re-distribution is restricted without prior consent.

Edited by cybutek

On 2/21/2016 at 1:49 AM, Padishar said:

Well, from the info you've provided I suspect one of the following:

• You have changed the root part of the vessel so that it is no longer in the payload.  KER does not handle the root part of the vessel being decoupled from the rest.  Any remaining stages will not calculate correctly.
  • There may be a bug with the handling of PF interstage fairings.  Other people have reported issues with these in the past but I don't know if there are any real issues.  It appears as though your fairings are being jettisoned in stage 5 and no stages after this are being calculated.

If the command pod isn't the root part then make it so and see if that fixes the numbers.

Another thing that may be affecting the calculations is that KER doesn't know when you activate stage 7 during the flight.  Stage 8 is firing the boosters and releasing the clamps, stage 7 starts the main engine and stage 6 decouples the spent SRBs.  I would need to either have a play with it myself or would need to see a log of the simulation code to see how KER is deciding to stage.  I don't have enough time to investigate it myself at the moment but if you can provide a log I should be able to take a quick look.  Please run KSP, load the rocket, click the Settings button in the KER window and then click the "Verbose simulation log" button.  Then close the settings and click the "All Stages" button and take another screenshot (this will include any stages for which the deltaV is calculated as 0) and upload it and the output_log.txt file (in the KSP_Data folder on windows).

I haven't mentioned how I active and jettison the launch tower and fairing. For aborts it's activated by the abort group which decouples the pod, and activates the tower, for jettisoning the system after an abort or during accent it's activated by another action group that decouples it from the docking port and fires the tower and/or a small SRB for separation.

I've also disabled the staging on the Interstage fairings base since I don't have anything attached onto their nodes. I'll PM you the Log.

The only difference between the C and B models is the C model done away with the fins and has the final staging setup I want to use.

KER-Bug-6.png

Edited by Speedster159

1 minute ago, fr33soul said:

plz update the repository for CKAN.

It should have updated a little after the update release.  CKAN should be looking at the GitHub releases and automatically polling that, then using the contained .version file for the meta-data.  If it isn't then either the NetKAN file is missing, something is wrong with the CKAN polling or what.  But nothing has changed at my end for CKAN releases.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.