[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Is there a way to 'reset' KER to default settings? I messed with a bunch of the windows and deleted half of the settings, and my presets, and so on. Would just be easier to reset it back to fresh install, than it would be to try and rebuild the HUDs and info windows again.

But it apparently remembers my settings when I launch the game without KER, and then save and close to drop the contents back into GameData...

How are you removing KER?  If you are using CKAN then it probably isn't deleting the various settings files.  After removing the mod, check in the GameData folder for a KerbalEngineer folder and remove it (it probably still contains a Settings folder containing the various XML files that hold the settings).  Then, when you reinstall you should just get the defaults...

Alternatively, just delete all the files from GameData/KerbalEngineer/Settings except for HelpStrings.xml and that should do the same...

12 minutes ago, Padishar said:

How are you removing KER?  If you are using CKAN then it probably isn't deleting the various settings files.  After removing the mod, check in the GameData folder for a KerbalEngineer folder and remove it (it probably still contains a Settings folder containing the various XML files that hold the settings).  Then, when you reinstall you should just get the defaults...

Alternatively, just delete all the files from GameData/KerbalEngineer/Settings except for HelpStrings.xml and that should do the same...

To delete it, I delete the whole Engineer folder in GameData, and drop in a newly unzipped one, seems to like saving my settings.

Disregard, apparently this time deleting the whole Engineer file out of GameData and fresh replacement worked. Maybe at some point I'd copied my Engineer data into my storage folder, so it wasn't as fresh as I thought. When I'd unzipped a new Engineer folder and dropped it in, gave me stock settings again.

8 hours ago, MrWolf83 said:

What are the installation instructions for this? I.e. Where in the KSP folder system do we put this?

If you're not using CKAN, then what @Padishar said comes down to this after you download the zip file:

Installation

• Copy the 'KerbalEngineer' folder into the 'GameData' folder located within your Kerbal Space Program installation directory.
  • The 'Parts' folder including the 'ER7500' and 'EngineerChip' is optional and are only required if running in module mode.

You really need to learn how to do this since any mod can be installed by checking the OP and following the instructions you find there.

Edited by Brigadier

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Brigadier.

I'm only asking because I suspect that those decimal calculations are taking up some processing that my pc simply can't spare, because it's crap.

I don't know if this is true or not, so that's another question, if anybody knows...

The number of decimals displayed does not affect the calculations at all, those are all floats or doubles depending on the values used and there's not much to be done about it.

Hiding the vessel pane seems to have the most performance benefit, as I understand it the vessel simulation only runs when it's open.

Hi.  I've noticed that when I used engines from the Interstellar mod the thrust values don't appear to be calculated correctly.  The right click menu will display the correct values (ie: 2051kN with an ISP of 1605 at sea-level) but the Engineer display shows 213kN with an ISP of 710 at Kerbin 0km.  It's also showing a TWR of 0.32 but the rocket will lift off the pad just fine.

I've included a log dump from the verbose simulation button below:

Spoiler

[LOG 04:37:55.261] PrepareSimulation started
Create PartSim for probeCoreHex
Parent part = null
physicalSignificance = FULL
PhysicsSignificance = -1
Using part.mass of 0.1
ElectricCharge = 200
Created probeCoreHex. Decoupled in stage -1
Create PartSim for rocketNoseCone
Parent part = probeCoreHex
PhysicsSignificance = -1
Using part.mass of 0.2
Created rocketNoseCone. Decoupled in stage -1
Create PartSim for fuelTank3-2
Parent part = probeCoreHex
PhysicsSignificance = -1
Using part.mass of 4
LiquidFuel = 2880
Oxidizer = 3520
Created fuelTank3-2. Decoupled in stage -1
Create PartSim for InterstellarFuelTank-X200-48
Parent part = fuelTank3-2
PhysicsSignificance = -1
Using part.mass of 3
LqdMethane = 26880
Created InterstellarFuelTank-X200-48. Decoupled in stage -1
Create PartSim for Heatsink250n
Parent part = InterstellarFuelTank-X200-48
PhysicsSignificance = -1
Using part.mass of 0.75
WasteHeat = 0
Created Heatsink250n. Decoupled in stage -1
Create PartSim for KspiLightbulb
Parent part = Heatsink250n
PhysicsSignificance = -1
Using part.mass of 16
ThermalPower = 0
WasteHeat = 0
UraniumNitride = 25
ElectricCharge = 0
LqdWater = 82.7085
Created KspiLightbulb. Decoupled in stage -1
CreateEngineSims for KspiLightbulb
Module: ModuleEnginesFX
Module: InterstellarFissionPBDP
Module: ThermalNozzleController
Module: TweakScale
Module: ModuleJettison
Module: ModuleGimbal
Module: ModuleAnimateHeat
Module: ModuleAlternator
Module: ModuleTestSubject
Module: ModuleSurfaceFX
Module: FXModuleLookAtConstraint
Module: CollisionFX
Module: ModuleAlternatorReliability
Module: ModuleBatteryReliability
Module: ModuleCoolantReliabilityCore
Module: ModuleEngineReliability
Module: ModuleGimbalReliability
Module: ModuleReliabilityInfo
Module: InspectionModule
Module: ModuleTankReliability
Module: tjs_EngineLight
Module: TextureUnloaderPartModule
Module: ModuleAeroReentry
Module: ModuleEnginesFX
hasVessel is false
flowMod = 1
isp     = 439.672
thrust  = 131.902
actual  = 0
no vessel, using thrust for flowRate
flowRate = 0.0305915
flowMass = 0.001
Add consumption(LqdWater, KspiLightbulb:6) = 30.5915

Is this an issue with Kerbal Engineer or should I post this on the KSPI-E thread?  Thanks.

6 hours ago, RzTen1 said:

Is this an issue with Kerbal Engineer or should I post this on the KSPI-E thread?  Thanks.

I'll need substantially more info than that to work out what's wrong.  That log extract is only a small part of what the verbose simulation should output.  Please upload the craft file concerned, the full output_log.txt (or player.log) file, a screenshot with the KER all stages button selected and, preferably, a full list of the mods you have installed.

It sounds like something about the engines doesn't get set up correctly in the editor.  Does KER give different values if you go to launch?  Does MJ give correct values (either in the VAB or in flight)?

KER shows the same values on the pad, but once the engine is started the values on the default vessel tab quickly climb to where I think they should actually be:TWR climbs to 4.4+ and Delta V increases by several thousand.  MechJeb appears to show the correct Delta V for the engine, but the TWR is incorrect until that engine is fired.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

screenshot4.png

screenshot5.png

I can't seem to attach files directly to this post, so I've dumped the output log and vessel configs here:
http://www.powercpu.net/ksp-testing/output_log.txt
http://www.powercpu.net/ksp-testing/Untitled Space Craft.craft

My current CKAN dump looks like this:

Spoiler

{
    "kind": "metapackage",
    "abstract": "A list of modules installed on the default KSP instance",
    "name": "installed-default",
    "license": "unknown",
    "version": "2016.03.13.06.17.06",
    "identifier": "installed-default",
    "spec_version": "v1.6",
    "depends": [
        {
            "name": "ModuleManager",
            "version": "2.6.20"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityResourcePack",
            "version": "0.4.9.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "Toolbar",
            "version": "1.7.10"
        },
        {
            "name": "RCSBuildAid",
            "version": "0.7.7"
        },
        {
            "name": "KSPInterstellarExtended",
            "version": "1.6.9"
        },
        {
            "name": "BetterBurnTime",
            "version": "1.3.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalEngineerRedux",
            "version": "1.0.19.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "PreciseNode",
            "version": "1.2.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "ProceduralFairings",
            "version": "v3.15"
        },
        {
            "name": "TransferWindowPlanner",
            "version": "v1.4.0.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "TweakScale",
            "version": "v2.2.6"
        },
        {
            "name": "KSP-AVC",
            "version": "1.1.5.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core",
            "version": "1.18"
        },
        {
            "name": "InterstellarFuelSwitch",
            "version": "1.18"
        }
    ]
}

Edited by RzTen1
added another screenshot

Great mod! From the start I thought I didn't want to bother with this type of technical mod, but I am playing Career on Hard mode, and although I'm only just now planning Mun missions I've realized that I already try to plan the heck out of my vehicles because failed missions hit hard, and trying to over-engineer every craft is tiresome. This mod is more essential than I realized before getting it.

Since I am using the Career setting that means I require one of the KER parts to be on my craft to use KER, I have a question; Are the two parts functionally identical?

I was also trying to make a very lightweight Mun lander probe that uses just RCS for descent, however KER doesn't give Delta-V readings for RCS. Is there a resource to help with that?

46 minutes ago, Nicole said:

Since I am using the Career setting that means I require one of the KER parts to be on my craft to use KER, I have a question; Are the two parts functionally identical?

Both parts are functionally identical.

46 minutes ago, Nicole said:

I was also trying to make a very lightweight Mun lander probe that uses just RCS for descent, however KER doesn't give Delta-V readings for RCS. Is there a resource to help with that?

AFAIK KER does not calculate RCS delta V. I believe MechJeb can, but I haven't found this functionality overly useful (it's almost always a bad idea to use RCS for enough propulsion that you want to know its delta V).

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Both parts are functionally identical.

AFAIK KER does not calculate RCS delta V. I believe MechJeb can, but I haven't found this functionality overly useful (it's almost always a bad idea to use RCS for enough propulsion that you want to know its delta V).

Thanks for the reply. I actually just noticed I already have a mod that calculates RCS Delta-V, it's called RCS Build Aid. I like it for the visual indicators to help prevent RCS torquing, but I opened it up and it has Delta-V and thrust and burn time too. Even got some parachute readings, I should look at it more.

I got nothing but my own guess behind this, but I thought that the much lower weight of RCS engines could counter their lower efficiency when it comes to super light craft in low/no gravity. The info I'm getting from RCS Build Aid says I'll be fine to land my 1.3t probe on the Mun with a measly 60 units of monoprop and two standard thruster blocks. For science I will have to try this, but perhaps in the long term I'd like see some RCS information available through KER too. I think the neat and customization displays it allows would make it the superior choice. :)

Edited by Nicole

Update on my issue with KSPI-E:  It looks like they're still using the old thrust calculations and not setting maxFuelFlow correctly.  I've added code to calculate it based off of the engine values and KER now matches exactly what I was expecting.

I've dumped info in the KSPI-E thread for those interested: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/100190-105-ksp-interstellar-extended-169-25-02-2016-improved-realism-d-t-vista-propulsion/&do=findComment&comment=2457802

Edited by RzTen1
added link to other thread

3 hours ago, RzTen1 said:

Update on my issue with KSPI-E:  It looks like they're still using the old thrust calculations and not setting maxFuelFlow correctly.  I've added code to calculate it based off of the engine values and KER now matches exactly what I was expecting.

I've dumped info in the KSPI-E thread for those interested: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/100190-105-ksp-interstellar-extended-169-25-02-2016-improved-realism-d-t-vista-propulsion/&do=findComment&comment=2457802

Doh, I meant to post this hours ago but got distracted by work...

Nice job tracking this down (and especially nice that it can be fixed in the engines rather than KER)... ;)

Learning to break my ties with MechJeb so these may be noob questions... What is Phase Angle and Intercept Angle in the rendezvous window?   I feel like if I understood them it would help me.  Also, when plotting a course to intercept, there is no way to see the distance of the closest approach?

Edited by eberkain

See this page and this KSP Wiki page.  The first one has some nice pictures. From there:

The planetary phase angle is the angle your destination planet or moon needs to be in front or behind your origin along its orbit. You want to know this, so that you can actually meet up with the destination planet at the end of the transfer.

The ejection angle is the angle, at which you want to start your transfer burn in your origin planet's or moon's orbit. You want to get this angle right in order to escape the sphere of influence of your origin parallel to its own orbital prograde or retrograde heading.

Now that you mention it, I don't know if Intercept and Ejection Angle are the same thing.  I somehow doubt it.  It might be that the interception angle is the angle from target prograde to vessel prograde at intercept, but I'm just guessing.

Re: Closest Approach.  Once you've created an encounter, if you focus view on the target, you can see the trajectory and the associated periapsis.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.