Missing Fuel Tank Adapters

This is a small request that should not be difficult to fill. It would be desirable if a adapter fuel tank between the 2.5 m (size 2) and 3.3(?)m (size 3) sized fuel tanks were to be added. There is already a structural component that fills that purpose, the Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3, but alas it is more dead weight than useful. I have long used the MK3 adapters to fill this role, but their curved profiles ruin the aesthetics and aerodynamics of the rockets. So can we please have this missing adapter, pretty please?

2 minutes ago, Zosma Procyon said:

This is a small request that should not be difficult to fill. It would be desirable if a adapter fuel tank between the 2.5 m (size 2) and 3.3(?)m (size 3) sized fuel tanks were to be added. There is already a structural component that fills that purpose, the Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3, but alas it is more dead weight than useful. I have long used the MK3 adapters to fill this role, but their curved profiles ruin the aesthetics and aerodynamics of the rockets. So can we please have this missing adapter, pretty please?

You can just setup a .cfg for the adapter that contains fuel. All you need is notepad and the rough math to get the correct amount of fuel.

55 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

You can just setup a .cfg for the adapter that contains fuel. All you need is notepad and the rough math to get the correct amount of fuel.

Not with my luck I can't! I'll do something wrong and my computer will explode. 

57 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

That's true, but it's a pretty legit suggestion for the stock game, which is what this subforum is for.

It's somewhat ridiculous that that part doesn't serve some kind of other purpose, be it as a service bay or as a fuel tank.

15 hours ago, sumghai said:

the ADTP-2-3 was based on the on the real-life Launch Vehicle Stage Adapter from the Space Launch System, which doesn't contain fuel.

It may not contain fuel, but it wasn't empty.  So fuel or something else, I think it should have the ability be something other than a big empty cone.

block1_crew_cutaway_poster_forpng.jpg

I miss the rounded butt tank of the SLS...

Some spherical butt tanks would be great!

That would give new inputs on basically anything regarding KSP...:rolleyes:

Making the above mentioned adapter hollow would be a solution...

Edited by Mikki
typo:D

8 hours ago, Geonovast said:

It may not contain fuel, but it wasn't empty.  So fuel or something else, I think it should have the ability be something other than a big empty cone.

That "something else", in this case, is the lower half of the Interim Cryo Propulsion Stage, which separates from the first stage core booster for orbital insertion and essentially still leaves behind an empty cone.

Now, an argument could be made that the current ADTP be modified to be hollow (just be redoing the colliders), so that players can build rocket engines that extend into said hollow space. But I suspect that the reason the developers haven't done so is because there currently isn't a stock ICPS engine long enough to actually stick into that unused space.

Another possible reason would be that the developers envision most players building rockets by stacking parts on top of each other, and felt that it would be more intuitive to not have parts from the next stage extending into parts from the previous stage (with the exception of payload and service bays, but that's another story).

tl;dr - It's an empty structural part because it's the easiest for the developers to make compatible with existing parts

I would also like slanted 1.25m > 1.875m and/or slanted 1.875m > 2.5m fuel adapters. This way I can install short aerodynamic looking 1.875m booster tanks. Only the FL-C1000 R7 booster is a 1.875m slanted tank but it is to tall for some of my design purposes. Basically I would want a FL-A151L adapter slanted version. I wish when @SQUAD made new parts in expansion packs that they would add all the part variety of all the other part sizes also. So if there is a 1.25m to 2.5m adapter every size should have a conversion adapter. And if there is one slanted adapter type from one to another size conversion, then every size conversion adapter should have that adapter type.

This seems logical to me. But that is me of course and who's logic is there to question?

Edited by Aeroboi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.